Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 Tach for 96 TDI
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieselbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: 86 Tach for 96 TDI Reply with quote

Have a 96 1z AHU Tdi in a 82 camper. Did the conversion back in 2011. Now I'm adding a tach from a 86 wbx. Been searching around and had a pin out diagram I got years ago of the ecu and Pin 2 (black/green) was to go to the tach. Not sure if this is correct. Also looked in the 96 Passat Bentley and can't find where the tach wire goes.Tried it but didn't work. Does anyone know if pin 2 is correct. Have a scan gauge to the OBD port and that works fine.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 86 Tach for 96 TDI Reply with quote

I was not able to get an OE tach to work with the signal from my ECU. I tried an adapter from a company I don't recall the name of and same result. It would run an aftermarket tach. There is a thread about it. A member contacted me and said a tach from a 1.9 vanagon would work. I got an early tach and it does work but is not as accurate as the scan gauge. I have it adjusted to be accurate at 3000 rpm.

There are some threads on how to convert a tach to work off the W signal from the alternator. I won't be around my notes till next week. Sorry that doesn't answer your pin out question, but this will bump your thread and the information you seek is documented here and there was a website oldvolkshome that had cluster swapping pinout info.
yardbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 86 Tach for 96 TDI Reply with quote

I helped a friend of mine get his late tach and ahu/1z swap - at the moment I can’t recall the pin # on the ecu but I remember the whole process to get to work was more simple than what most folks make it out to be — no need for a w signal on the alt. If I remember right, we removed a diode or resister from the back of the tach and placed it on a different tract? Once we did that it worked but the reading was off. There’s a trim pot on the back of the tach where you can fine tune it when compared to the reading in vagcom. I wish I had more details for ya.
dieselbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Tach for 96 TDI Reply with quote

Found on vwt4iforum.co.uk that pin 2 is engine speed/tachometer/DOP.
Just thought the ecu signal would be the same as the signal for a wbx tach. I have a tach from a 86 Jetta TD and read somewhere that it fit in the vanagon cluster. Will try and go with that and the W signal.
Also have a VSS from a 85 convertible or scirocco. Don't remember which. Do you know if this will work with the tdi ecu? Besides the tach I want to get the cruise to work too. Got the pedal switches installed and in the process of running the wires.
Thanks

1982 Westy 1z TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: