Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signals
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikes57BuginPA Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Turn signals Reply with quote

Continuing an old story (or beating a dead horse):

I recently converted to LED tail lights that I bought from a Samba member. My issue involves the indicator light in the speedometer not working. The LED kit comes with a 3 prong flasher unit. The Samba wiring diagram for '56 & '58 shows a four prong flasher. The 3 prong flasher is power, load and ground for the flasher unit itself. There is no place to hook up the ground going to the bulb in the speedo. The original setup (pre LED) also has 3 prongs so I don't think that the light worked then either.

Anyone know which flasher unit will work?

I can't get the turn signals to cancel (any advice would be appreciated on this too) so the light not working is a safety issue.

Edit to add that it is a 12 volt system
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signals Reply with quote

You need a flasher with a "K" or "KBL" terminal, which provides a pulsed connection to ground for the speedo bulb. This subject has been covered before. As to not cancelling, check the position of the turn signal switch cancelling fingers relative to the cancelling ring on the steering wheel.
Mikes57BuginPA Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signals Reply with quote

So....another member sent me a PM with his fix for my problem. He used a bulb holder from a later beetle (79 & up?) that had 2 spade terminals attached. Using the 3 prong flasher, I wired up the new bulb holder. I know have power to the socket (it flashes properly) but when I put (severl different) bulbs in they do not flash.

The new bulb holder seems a bit deeper than the '57 factory holder so I'm thinking the bulb is not reaching the contact in the holder.

Is there a quick fix? Should I be using a different bulb?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: