Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have a Thing electrical problem
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

New motor ran for two days fine and started quickly. Then the next day while pulling into the garage i came up short after shutting motor off. I immediately turned ignition to start it back up and it made a half start sort of click sound, then nothin, no oil or alt light in on position and no start.

1. So far I have attempted a different starter that I know works and new battery.

2. I have 12volts to starter

3. changed ignition ,cleaned every ground and connection, cleaned fuse box.

4. 12 volts to fuse 9 and 10

5. I'm getting at #1 fuse only 6 volts to coil by jumping the ignition connection with a paper clip.

6. emergency blinkers click slowly at dash but no light on emerg blinker or on vehicle.

7.with new ignition switch in the starting position the wipers and alt and oil lights came on ( wipers never worked before). now nothing.I may have fried the new IGN switch but alt and oil lights did not go on in the on position, only when trying to start.

8. even with 12 volts at starter it won't start by crossing connection with a screwdriver but when i take the starter out i can engage starter on the ground.

any Ideas? Im thinking short but where?

Thanks, Mike
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

Alternator or Generator?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

I would look for a direct short to ground in the ignition circuit (Terminal 15).
In stock form, the ignition circuit is not protected by a fuse.
Look for melted insulation or connectors on any black wire. In the engine compartment, these include the wire to the idle solenoid and the choke heating element.
If you were to disconnect the wires connected to Terminal 15 if your ignition coil, you could unplug the connector at your ignition switch, and check for continuity to chassis ground from the Terminal 15 socket on the ignition switch connector. If you see zero ohms, find the short by following the wiring diagram. It might be necessary to unplug the skinny black wire from the fuse panel that leads to the speedometer to eliminate the fuel gauge from your test.
Here's the wiring diagram. in case you don't have it:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

thanks for reply, it has an alternator and I have looked for burnt wire sheath . the wire loom has a plastic sheeth also but cannot see inside unless i cut open.

all the wires i can see look good?
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

There is an outside chance that you have a faulty charging circuit in the car, and after 2 days, the battery just isn't strong enough to turn the starter when installed in the engine. I'd put a battery charger on the battery for a few hours and then try to start the car. If it starts, you have identified the issue. If not, it's back to other possibilities...
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

the battery has been charging over night I'm going to try all the things everyone has mentioned today.

thanks, Mike
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

I checked for continuity in the black wire to coil and it was good. i checked voltage and was only 2 to 4volts.

i started following the 12volt route and followed it into the light switch. so 12volts went in but under 4 volts came out. so i ordered a new light switch and ill get back to the thread when i install it.

mike
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

well the light switch was not the the problem. but I did figure it out. after all the trouble shooting, it was the battery cable to the starter.

even thou it said 13 volts to the starter I was un able to crank the starter with a screw driver or a momentary switch, but i could if i used jumper cables directly to the starter from the battery.

so I checked with a ohm meter on the two ends of the battery cable and had a reading of 49.

I bought a new Cable 2 gauge instead of 4 and everything had full power now,except the wiper motor blows a fuse when used and my turn signals don't work.

I am happy that I can drive it, now I will need to figure out the turn signals and the wiper motor probably needs a rebuild.

thanks for the help,Mike
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: I have a Thing electrical problem Reply with quote

after test driving I find that the head lights don't work, but high beams do, no horn or turn signals.

thanks for the help,

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: