Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cutting the case for 90.5
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

have any of u guys bought the tool to bore out/cut your own case?.i been pondering it.where I live in western MA,nobody seems to do this anymore for vw engines.i am building a 2110 for my buggy and I need the case I have clearanced and cut for 90.5.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

For the cost of the tool and the drill press to drive it you could easily send it to a reputable shop to have it all done at the same time. It's an awful pricey tool to sit on the shelf to use a few times.

brad
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

Very few people here on the Samba actually do that unless they are a machinist.
Probably you should call around to a VW Place not too far but yeah, If you pull the studs a case will fit in a box small enough to qualify for about $40 shipping each way. I used Rocky Jennings up in Walla Walla Washington to do my lifter bores, Other shops would be Brothers in California and Rimco and maybe Mofoco is it Milwaukee Wisconsin is a little closer to the East Coast does it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

Any shop (most likely automotive) with bridgeport or similar mill can do it, it does not have to be VW specialty shop and long as machinist has understanding of particular process it is really very simple cut... Probably costs less than buying tool and drill press....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

Probably the thing that will need attention is the deck on the case and it's got to be equal distance from the case center line and it's probably done as part of a good opening job. I bet a good VW machine shop has methods for doing it right.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

ill have to keep calling around.i actually called a few garages and machine shops in my area. They said they wouldn't do it.i think for some places they didn't want to set it all up for 1 case and others I called just said they don't do "That"..i have actually been surprised, I called a couple of really good machine shops here in my area.i am sure its the area I live in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

I will call the suggested places.if anyone else knows of a place on east coast please send the info along.thank u.i have a nice drill press and I am certain I could do it.the tool is pretty simple to use.but like it was mentioned.a 400 dollar tool to use once.then I still have to clearance the crank.by all means I would rather send it out.unless its not an option.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

Here is a place in Ohio that advertises here on the Samba, Sounds like they know what they are doing. If I had the tool I would try it on a bad case first.
3 Step Cut Case's & Deck For 90.5mm to 94mm Price: 75.00 case

Here is the Deck that my Machinist who is semi-retired here on the Oregon Coast does in his home shop. Just the Deck but I think he can also open them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: cutting the case for 90.5 Reply with quote

Danwvw thanks for the info.i researched his shop and the prices look great.going to call him today.he is only 2 states away....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: