Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Well Folks, as of today my wife and I may be forced into leaving our Westy behind.

In attempting to avoid a deer and giving up an inch of pavement too many, our right-side wheels fell off a good foot of pavement edge. I damned-near saved it but the dropoff was too far and we rolled at least forty vertical feet down an embankment into the woods.

I had my laptop on the bed, to export 1,257 giant scanned images from 4x5-inch film for our upcoming website that's been 15 years in the making, and though it starts up it doesn't recognize the OS to operate. Things in the bus went flying out the windows into deep foliage and we're still here 100 miles south of Portland desperately trying to find a backup drive that was also on the bed.

While we're damned lucky to both be totally unhurt, anyone who knows our history will understand this doesn't feel the least bit "lucky."

We are towing the crumpled mess to Newport tomorrow (Edit: we ended up choosing a shop in Portland) en route to going to my brother's house nearby, where we were only heading after deciding today to not attend the Portland IndyCar race, where we were to start working with the best American driver I've witnessed for a very long time. Our media credentials were not approved for what we needed them for, otherwise we'd be in Portland now instead of in a tent alongside our crashed bus.

Know that my insurance agent understood and supported our attempts to find our stuff before being drug up the bank with a tow truck and potentially losing necessary, crash-buried gear for doing that today.

If it can be repaired, it will be. If it cannot, we'll try to find another Assuan Brown bus and install the huge amount of upgrades over to it, or leave Westys behind and find something else to camp in.

If anyone, anywhere knows of a replacement bus, I am all ears. All the marketing I've developed for our new site, my logo, the site itself, everything is based around this color and it's far too late in the process to consider anything else -- though I will likely have to.

With all the time, money, and love we've poured into upgrading and developing our bus, I am unconconvinced I have the time, heart, or resources to build up another one -- especially as I have a website to build, and potentially build from scratch files if I can't find the drive.

I ask for no questionable replies, I do not have the energy for it. Thanks.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Wow. What a disaster. So glad you both are physically ok, but it sounds like there were some unrecoverable digital losses. I'm sorry for your trauma and wish you the best in your recovery and rebuilding.
Bike as primary transportation
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Thank You very much.

(Edit: fingers still crossed on the data!)

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Well, crap on a stick, man! I'll echo the sentiment that I'm glad you two are undoubtedly bumped and bruised, but able to use your brains, talents, energy and strength to move forward.

Sounds like you need an excellent flashlight and if I were about 300 miles closer, I'd show up with every one I have to help!!!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

So sorry, so glad you're OK.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, and Tom.

Doug, I hope you're right. Totally out of gas after far too much bad luck, honestly. The Missus had a tiny nose cut and on a finger, I have one on my palm. Otherwise aren't sore at all, other than spiritually very much so.

— Colin Chapman
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

All I can send is thanks that you weren't injured.
It doesn't mean you are OK, it sounds like you went for a check of a ride.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Oh no! So sorry to hear this. Glad you are physically ok. Best Wishes.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Well, that truly sucks. Hope that you both are indeed ok, sometimes the aches can take a day or two to show up.

Best wishes on all your goodies being found and your files uncorrupted.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Eric,

I'm working in Newport tomorrow, (Fri), thru Monday, driving up from Florence each day.

If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Peter
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Wow. Glad you guys weren’t busted up too... Shit, what to say...you lost a lot in a moment. Am way sorry for you two, will be thinking of you.

(sadly no Assuan Browns around here....)
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

This fear is always in the back of my mind. As a fellow Assuan Brown owner, it strikes even closer. Like you, i have put so much of my time and energy,and love not to mention my finances into my westy that i have owned for 38 yrs. I am very sorry to hear about your devastating loss, and traumatic accident. It affects us all when we here of such a devastating occurrence. I wish you both well, and thank your lucky stars that your both ok.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Oh no!
I couldn't believe it as I was reading!

I'm hoping that backup drive is somewhere in what must be a jumbled up interior.

I wish I was within driving range to help in whatever way I could.

Damnit....

You folks deserve so much better than this.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

I know you are focused on the missing work, but take a few days and smell the roses, stop and savor all the good times and things in your life.

The projects can wait.

Glad you are both physically ok. We will find you a new Westy.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Oh goodness, this is hard to read. I'm happy to hear y'all are not badly hurt and hope your aches and pains are minor today.

You can build a new van that's even better. You've got a great trans and other bits in your current van to transfer if needed.

As for Assuan, you might consider adding Assuan accents to a white Vanagon to carry the theme while opening up more replacement possibilities.

Hang in there.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
ad my laptop on the bed, to export 1,257 giant scanned images from 4x5-inch film for our upcoming website that's been 15 years in the making, and though it starts up

When you come back from your break... Very Happy ..... this is very likely recoverable data from a decent computer shop, aka not BestBuy
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Very sad news indeed but glad your both intact. Here's to hoping the van is fixable. Your certainly in the right area for bits and pieces.

Any chance your backed up to "a cloud" - Google perhaps?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

horrendous to roll like that, glad you two are unhurt.

were it me, i'd pick up a SATA to USB drive adapter, pull the drive out of the laptop (usually very easy to do), and see if the drive is recognized when attached to another pc. if so, grab your data and copy it off the drive.

if the drive does not spin up and get recognized, all is not lost but it will be more expensive to have a recovery service look at it.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Oh man, I can’t even imagine the devastation that you and your wife are feeling and living right now. That is a blow to the heart several times over. I really hope you find that back up drive. I get that you don’t feel lucky but boy you guys are lucky it wasn’t worse. I’m really wishing you guys the best of luck and just remember that sometimes when one is faced with a tragedy, it can often lead to greater places and things down the road after the dust settles. I’ll keep an eye and an ear out for a well sorted, Assuan Brown westy. Keep thinking positively and know that better days are ahead.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Wow! So sorry. Glad you all are not physically hurt. Wish I was closer to help.

We will support whatever effort you need to get back on your feet.

(I had a catastrophic engine fire 10 years ago and lost everything. It sucked big time. I did build up another one.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: