Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, May Want Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

My roommate years ago almost lost her brother to a traumatic head injury. He was in a sedan with speaker boxes placed below the rear window. They where not secured. When he drifted off the road and into a snow bank, the speaker boxes went flying and one hit him in the back of the head. He almost died and had permanent major brain damage.

Hans
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, Need Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Post to enable thread title update.

(which I now see didn't work, can a Mod please change to "Crashed Today, Need Another Assuan Brown Westy" ?

The words "Assuan Brown" may need to come off at some point, too, I know some don't get why the color is important and I can't get into that.

I also want to say that some may find Nemo's bringing up safety as off-topic or even inappropriate -- it is not, there is never a bad time to keep each other safe.

No real update beyond my continuing gratitude. ❤️

PS -- I also think it's important today to love those we have in honor of those who cannot be held, today on 9-11. Sandy was on medical leave with Chronic Fatigue from flying, and woke me in a cold sweat one night. I asked if she had a bad dream and she said she had, walking on a street in New York or Chicago and seeing a United plane drilling a skyscraper. That dream was on, give or take a day, September 6, 2001.

Sorry for going OT, but in my opinion this day never is.

Best to All.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Title changed.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave!!!

— Colin Chapman
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

I havent been active on the forums here for awhile as I am between Vanagons currently, but I went through a similar totaled Vanagon situation about a year ago (still haven't found the right replacement van yet). My insurance company initially offered an absurdly low valuation of $1700. My van was a Bluestar, with many upgrades (Subaru conversion, upgraded transmission, CLK wheels, Big Brakes...etc.). I had a well know shop that specializes in Vanagons write me a valuation of the van, I submitted that to the insurance company, which they thought was too high, so they had their own appraiser do a valuation on the van, the appraiser took into account not only the upgrades, and add-ons, but also wanted to know about what/when routine maintenance was done, so I submitted things like brake pad, and shock changes as well as any info for upgrades. The fact that it was a well maintained vehicle was a factor in the valuation of the van. The biggest thing is to make the insurance company get the vehicle appraised by someone who knows Vanagons. We eventually settled on ~$18,000 or about 10.5 times their first valuation.

This article, although old, was very helpful in getting proper valuation for my van. http://gerry.vanagon.com/files/auto-insurance-madness.html

Wish you all the best, and I am glad that you are both okay.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/volkswagen-campmobile/6693824246.html

I don't know what Assuan Brown is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Assuan Brown

or Sedona

Wow my next pop-top replacement wont be a wrinkled mess.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
SJ Lambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

^^^^^^ Bingo!!

BTW - Love your avatar AZ Landshaper!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JT8zLTaKxeE
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

I’m in awe of your positive nature given the thread title says you have crashed every day since August 30

Cool
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’m in awe of your positive nature given the thread title says you have crashed every day since August 30

Cool

WINNAH!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tomorrow brings the 15th daily wipeout, kinda sick of the routine now!!!

Again thanking you all for making this bearable, I have no clue how we would have gotten through this without you all.

Foodeater, you tote-lee Rock for confirming my Dastardly strategy. Fact is, my insuror is way ahead on our patronage and now's the time to get us ahead while still keeping them waaaay ahead, too.

Calling out 0to60in6min again, and his wondrous Missus and their fine lad, for soothing our tattered, beaten souls, and for listening.

LOVE YOU THREE!!! ❤️❤️❤️

And to my fine Aussie brother SJ, Hey, we already have all else in common, stick around here and buy a Westy. I have just the one for you, despite it needing a bit of wax...

Thanks to our Mods, too for allowing some non-Westy content, and for the personal touches. Mucho!

Thanks Everyone!!!

(Geez, feel like I won an Oscar!)

We will be in the Waldport area for the next several days, likely camping at Tillicum Beach where we spent some of our honeymoon. Toyota van, Westy charm replaced by electronic ridicule. Not a fair trade, and hopefully as temporary as possible.

— Colin Chapman
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Fact is, my insuror is way ahead on our patronage and now's the time to get us ahead while still keeping them waaaay ahead, too.

Possible "swap-meet" candidate here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2206078 . Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Thanks, Kammy!

Finally able to breathe more, getting more oxygen in to think also.

The claim is making progress. We are upset with the body shop stating "We can fix that, bring it in" but yet never wrote an estimate, instead billing our insurance over $100 a day storage. We lost a full week right there, tenting out exposed and along the street with unsavories and rats from a recycler across the street.

While good book material, we could have done without it and I will add is my Thankfulness that the Missus is one tough and flexible woman from our lifetime of wilderness experiences. The Real Good here is the bussers who came to visit, Xevin, Tristessa, Stuart Zickefoose, Rag63, and drj4343. You all saved us in that week on the streets, Thanks Again.

Our settlement should be done Monday or Tuesday. Though wavering through this, we do want another Vanagon Westy. Some have sent links but it was too soon, so the Search for another Assuan brown Westy is again on!

I will finish prep for our claim and start looking in earnest for the first time early next week! I need to review this thread for links, but any leads are massively appreciated! -- even if already posted or PMed or texted.

If anyone knows a solid place to do parts swapping, Please PM, call, or text.

We are still hoping to do a "swap meet" of parts from our crashed van. All help is so appreciated! We want to make it worthwhile for participants somehow, either in salvaging left-over van parts, or maybe in prints credit. The latter is currently dependent on our laptop resurrection, as the laptop is yet not working as I previously reported.

We are as-yet uncertain of a GoFundMe, we are hoping to get through this without that step. If our life's work is fully, digitally intact, as long as I stay healthy we can dig ourselves out. I just need more time to process this.

Keep it up everyone! We needed this support so very much, and are heartwarmed to an indescribable level. This morning was Meltdown City for I when seeing a dark blue Westy drive by our motel in Yachats (Yo'Tel), but once I got over that took it as a sign of getting back on our tires.

Thanks!

— Colin Chapman
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

I know the desire to be independent and not accept financial help is strong but please
understand that karma
is trying VERY HARD to let us help you.
Please
listen
and let us help.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Yeah man atleast let me send you a burger and a beer or 6. Or just post your paypal
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I know the desire to be independent and not accept financial help is strong but please
understand that karma
is trying VERY HARD to let us help you.
Please
listen
and let us help.

Appreciate that, Dave, and we will with better understanding your candor.

It's not so much about not accepting help per pride, as much as it is about being candid and honest in this not forcing us under a bridge. It's difficult to clarify in written words, and I think it only fair to donors to know what we're asking for, and that's a few days away yet.

To wit, if our upgrades can be transferred to our bus, this is the one we love the most so far. Our plan with our injured van was a lifetime, 20-year commitment, and with our driving style of under 12K per year, if we can get the price down this best fits that:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/1984-vw-westfalia-vanagon/6685283944.html

And I soon need to list out the upgrades as requested several posts back. Will.

So far as help in transferring our parts, we are open to that big time for the brotherhood it will build and the future it will forge for us. Meaning, the help already given has been extraordinary, this to us is far more about tattered souls again rising to the sun more than money. We are stunned.

— Colin Chapman
SJ Lambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Message to Team Assuan Brown

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQ8r-SwR2c

Keep on truckin’ Sandy & The Big E!!!!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

That is a good looking baby poop brown Cool (Assuan Brown) westy. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

SJ Lambert wrote:
Message to Team Assuan Brown

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQ8r-SwR2c

Keep on truckin’ Sandy & The Big E!!!!

+1 Applause Dancing
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

Eric, When we talked you mentioned how important it is that you find another unit the same color, and I don't disagree with your thought pattern.

However,
I do question how many excellent examples you might pass over that sport coats of other colors.

As your search begins, I'd give serious thought to being open to other colors.
You're a smart man, you can somehow work the color change into your story and identity.

Dave.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Crashed Today, NEED Another Assuan Brown Westy Reply with quote

I don’t know the meme, but what if you put one door from the FirstGeneration. AB Westy onto the SecondGeneration To preserve the color onpart?

Lol for Baby poop brown.ive seen a bit of that in my days. One of the few things I could contribute to in child rearing until they were tweens
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: