Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

I've done a couple car shows with the buggy as it is, I like it this way but I don't think it gets the connection from this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To this:

It will have been in my family for 50 years next August, so I want to bring it back.

The plan:
Wheels: I want the wheels to be able to pass the German inspection but I don't wan them to look too small. I have 5x205 lug bolts so that's the rim I need to use to avoid adapters.
Probably going with stock chrome smooth rims and hub caps. Problem is I haven't found any wider than 5.5" for the rear.
Anybody have a source for those?
Also need maximum positive offset for the front due to the disk brakes widening the front, so looking at 4.5 with 3.75 offset for those.

Tires: Most likely standard radials in the front, but would like Gates style in the rear, anyone know where you can get Gates style?

Body: Going to check on doing a dark green vinyl wrap, it was just painted two years ago, so don't want to do that again

Upholstery: Going to look for black vinyl, I can do the rear seat, but fronts I either have to send out, or get new ones locally, would like PRP, but they never got back to me if they would ship to me.

Motor is going to stay the same, but in my mind it would be nice to go back to a 1641cc with a Holly Bug Spray and dual cannons-for looks not performance. Might just go with dual cannons and the belt screen. I really like the orange intake my dad had for the Holly in this pic:

So if you know of a source for wheels or tires please let me know.
Could be sold on a Holly Bug Spray and manifold for the current 1904cc.

It will keep me busy...hope it will turn heads again...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Hello,

Glad to hear you,re taking that buggy back to its roots. Justkampers do new steel wheels. They are painted steel. You could go with stainless trim rings or get "chrome look" powder coat.

https://www.justkampers.com/search/result/index/?p=2&q=steel+wheels

I got a pair of 6"x15 for my front. Very happy with them, Shipment to Finland was only 40€ the pair last year.
and recently ordered some 8" for the back. to replace the banded type 3s I have on the back (Cant run tubeless and can't fit hubcaps to them) You'd need to check with them about offsets, and you have to wait for some sizes as they sell out fast when they get them in.
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

They do up to 10" wide. And have those in stock at the moment.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Going with dual cannons and holly Bug spray is going to be a step back into the dark ages that just might take the fun out of your ride enough that it won't see the use that you are accustomed to. I too wanted the dual cannon look but not the problems so I fabricated my own dual system pairing the proper cylinders together.

I am very happy with the way it runs and the sound is unique too. This is for my type 4 engine but there is no reason it can't be done with a type 1 as well.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

forgive my ignorance.so are u saying what? 2and 4 and 1 and 3 cylinders should be piped together?.i have always been wondering y there is less power with the old school cannon exhaust.i am just looking for info on it.thanx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
forgive my ignorance.so are u saying what? 2and 4 and 1 and 3 cylinders should be piped together?.i have always been wondering y there is less power with the old school cannon exhaust.i am just looking for info on it.thanx.

Here is the scoop, the cylinders that share a head do not fire evenly. If you tie them together with the exhaust you get a - - - pop, pop, - - - pop, pop, - - - action. Like a V twin motorcycle. Sounds Boss! Now you tie the other two together and your Buggy sounds like a pair of Harley Davidsons! Sweet!

But...

You will quickly notice several things:

- erratic idle, sometimes only the rear two cylinders will fire at idle.
- stumbles and fumbles at low rpms and light cruising around town that doesn't clear up until you stuff your foot into it.
- along with the above, poor bottom end torque off the start and even mid range in some cases.
- popping and farting out the exhaust on deceleration and popping out the carbs at light acceleration.

Now it's acting and sounding like a thoroughbred racing machine Laughing but... with very little more than stock performance!

This is because you have a leading and lagging cylinder tied together. The leading one is trying to help it's brother vacate it's exhaut and the second is too late to be of any help to the first. This creates a situation where one cylinder is breathing better than the other so it pulls harder on the carb getting more fuel than the other. Imballanced mixtures and imballanced power output.

Now, put a single carb on each head or a two barrel carb that feeds just one head for each barrel and you have created a similar imballace on the carb side.

Double trouble!!

This no doubt is not quite the whole story and an over simplifacation but it helps me understand why dual cannons and dual single barrel carbs are the worst possible choice for our engines.

By pairing the fronts together and the backs together the exhaust side of the equation is rectified. It's not a convenient way to build the system by any means but it works.

And of course you could keep the 4 into one, that is the most popular, most convenient solution. But... being old school myself... duals look best! Very Happy
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
It will have been in my family for 50 years next August, so I want to bring it back.

The plan:
Wheels: I want the wheels to be able to pass the German inspection but I don't wan them to look too small. I have 5x205 lug bolts so that's the rim I need to use to avoid adapters.
Probably going with stock chrome smooth rims and hub caps. Problem is I haven't found any wider than 5.5" for the rear.
Anybody have a source for those?
Also need maximum positive offset for the front due to the disk brakes widening the front, so looking at 4.5 with 3.75 offset for those.

Have you considered Bus wheels? I am swapping my buggy to 14 inch Bus wheels. The stock fronts are 14 by 5 inches and ET49mm. The stock 15 inch wide 5 Bug wheels are ET33mm so the Bus rims suck the tires in an additional 16mm each side.

For the rear I got widened 14 inch Bus wheels, the extra width to the outside for that deep dish look. 14 inch rear tire choices are more limited than 15. I have no idea what your authorities will say about knocking the centers out and welding them into a wider rim, or hooping stock rims.

I chose to have P175/65R14 up front and P225/70R14 installed on the rear. My wheels are powdercoated in a light straw color for an old school look, but the options with stock type wheels are almost unlimited.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Good info! Thanks for helping out with the research.

Yeah, I know the dual cannon suck for exhaust and I don't even like the sound of them. I don't remember how it ran with the Bug Spray and duals, I was only about 4 years old then. I did run a Holley Bug Spray on my Thing with a stock replica exhaust that is similar to dual cannons, it didn't seem to lack in performance but I was in Okinawa and the road speed limit is 60km on hiways and 80km on the expressway; so never needed the power like I do here in Germany.

Looking at the wheels on justkamper.com but really want the chrome. Will look at 14" bus wheels too.

One thing I've noticed I'll have to lose the engine cage with the dual cannons unless I create my own like oprn, but don't have the welder and skills are not up to par on bending and welding.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

The dual cannons on my sand rail are livable with the stock Solex carb. I suspect they would not be as bad with dual Webers or Delortos, it's when you pair both the exhaust and intakes on the same head that the worst issues show up in my experience. Oh and just for interest, when I took the cannons off my engine and put a 4 into 1 header on it the highway power/performance was not noticeably different. The way it idled and ran around town was night and day better though!

I wanted 14" rims for my sand rail wide enough to put quad tires on. I found a pair of 8" wide Dodge rally rims at the auto wreckers, took the centers out and welded in VW wide 5 centers. One came out perfect but the other ended up with about 1/4" run out. Not a big issue as this Buggy is not street legal and rarely gets into 4th gear on the trails.

Yes wider 14" street tires are getting very hard to find here too. I have 14s on my Manx copy and am considering going 15" for the better selection.

germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

As for the rims, I had my rims redone (shortened and widened) at Rindt-Felgen in Neuss. But they have sold the welding machine I learned lately.
Not sure they would do the job, but I am sure they can recommend somebody. They have done a fantastic job.
http://www.rindt-felgen.com/

As for the tires, pls. check Münchner Oldtimer Reifen. I just called and got a very good consultation on tire types. Recommend to go there to make up your mind...
http://www.oldtimerreifen24.de/

There is another expert I spoke with, and Mr Moeller is very knowledgeable. He might provide you with a recommendation of a set o matching tires.
https://oldtimerreifen-moeller.de/

They have a section for truck tires old style, very close to gates (e.g. Willis jeep tires).
But the Gates were small and would only suit the front axle. As for the rear, you might have to go with a meatier tire. Just my taste...

I run a 255 Avon CR6 ZZ on 8" Calparts in the back and 175 Avon on a 4" Calparts in the front. Nice tire, expensive, but I have a source in Germany supplying the classic racing teams they offering good deals.
https://www.avon-rennreifen.de/ber-uns-cat255.html

My rear tire freshly mounted tubeless:

Send me a PM if you need more info.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...but those prices! Holy cow some of the tires are priced for a set of four!

Checked on vinyl wrap, should get the quote today. It will have to be two pieces for the body as the wrap width is 150cm and the buggy is 160cm wide. Going to go with two pieces with the seam on the sides under the scratch covers-which I wlll remake out of black fabric or vinyl.

He also knows a person who does vinyl sticker cutting so I can get the daisy stickers made.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Just got the first estimate for the vinyl wrap...1900 Euro ($2200)...more than the paint job ouch.

Off to find more vinyl wrap shops.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

If it was a cheap affair, everybody would do it Very Happy
You are right to keep looking but don't put cost savings before quality - especially for a wrap on the buggy with its concave bend surfaces...
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Yeah, I think that's what's going to get me is the labor of wrapping not the cost of material. Nice thing is this shop is only 20 minutes away, but also does not have a great reputation for their detailing work.

Might try in Bayreuth or Weiden, other than that Regensberg and Nuremberg are a couple hours away in the buggy.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

How About VB Customz in Grafenwoehr?

Seem to have pretty good ratings....

https://www.vbcustomz.com/gallery
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

I know you have not asked for opinions but forgive me for being so bold as to give mine. You are free to ignore it.

Here is what I would do to that Buggy to take it back closer to it's era.

Dual exhaust, leave the carbs and engine as they are.

Leave the body color alone but add big white daisy stickers.

Change the wheels just as you are planning.

Paint the engine cage and nurf bars black to make them all but disappear visually.

Consider changing the tail lights and front signals to the stock Bug items.

Dye the seats black or brown.

The biggest cost would be the wheels and tires and I believe it would change it's visual impact sufficiantly to do what you are wanting.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I know you have not asked for opinions but forgive me for being so bold as to give mine. You are free to ignore it.

Consider changing the tail lights and front signals to the stock Bug items.

Dye the seats black or brown.

The biggest cost would be the wheels and tires and I believe it would change it's visual impact sufficiantly to do what you are wanting.

The tail lights and front signals are the originals, the seats are just covers.

To me the color is the most important and then a few of the other details like exhaust and wheels.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

germanx wrote:
How About VB Customz in Grafenwoehr?

Seem to have pretty good ratings....

https://www.vbcustomz.com/gallery

Same shop as Rapido, joined with them, that's where I got the quote.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

I think you might be better off with paint, especially if the price is about the same. You can get away with touching up damaged paint, can you do the same with a wrap? I think you're right. just changing the colour back and putting the daisies on it, would instantly take it back to being the same car. Wheels and accessories would be less important and could be changed at a later date.
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Y'know, looking at the photo you just posted on the soft top thread; You could fit standard VW hubcap clips to the wheels you already have, and then fit standard VW hubcaps. I've seen photos of it done on a buggy with Centrelines.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2097809013...&ifg=1

Looked great! It would give you shiny looking old school wheels, for very little money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: