Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

stuff ordered.

Looking at the front wheels from kokoparts on ebay.

messaged deepvees wheels on thesamba and see if they can get me 15x6 or 15x7 chrome smoothies for the rear.

I don't think I can get wide/tall tires to look right on a 15x5.5 afraid it'll give a weird look.

Anyone have any pics of a large tire on a 15x5.5?

still debating over the vinyl wrap-next guy said too many curves.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Wheels ordered from kokoparts on ebay.

deepvwwheels never sent me a price, so going with 5.5" and something around a 215x15 to get the width up to 8"

Buggy is in to get wrapped, the guys are from Bulgaria and are pretty excited about working on the buggy...I mean who isn't?

Got my dual cannons in, WAY too loud and was spitting out fiberglass all over the place.

Anyone know if these fit inside the cannons with baffles:
https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-3721-baffle-for-empi-3759-chrome-dual-outlet-exhaust-system-each/

Bummer is we are having great weather here in Bavaria this year, so missing a few days of driving
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Ok, the wrap is almost done...not the color I really wanted, seems a little washed out. I hate swatch panels, never shows the color enough. Well it's what I got, so have to go with it. Will have him put the swatch against it to see.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got the wheels in from Kokoparts on ebay, great service, but you can tell the quality isn't there on the chrome finish.

Now to get tires, thinking of 215x75x15 for the rear and 175x70x15 for the front.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

That's looking good! If I'm honest,and this is just my personal taste, rather than a criticism of yours, the yellow/orange contrast was very bold, and I couldn't see past it to the buggy. I think the green shows the clean lines of the buggy well, and is a great blank canvas to start from.

I you need help with your daisy decals, I can do you some as adobe illustrator files which your graphics guys can print off to whatever size you want. If you have a clear shot of the original daisies I'll replicate them. This guys doing your stickers can probably do his too, though doubtless they'd charge you extra for it.

Regarding tyres, for reference re look and proportion: I'm running225/75R15 on 8" rims at the back and 185/65r/15 on 6" rims on the front.When I buy tyres next time, I'd like an bit taller on the front and slightly wider at the rear.

Cheers,
Iain

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Iain!

Yeah wondering what I'm going to do for the daisies, have to find someone with a vinyl cutter first.

Currently have 245/60 on the rear on 8" rims reversed with a spacer, they fit nice under the fenders and the flares. The new rims are 5.5 and that's about as big as I want to go with the 215's.

Fronts on the Manx signature wheels are 185/60s, actually fit really nice, but the offset on them does not fit under the fender, so have to swap for inspection.

New fronts are 4.5" wide and want the old school look but be able to tuck under the fenders so hoping 175/70 will do the trick.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

I like it.I am thinking a lot about these wraps.I just cant figure out a color I would want..Sean..
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

If you do have it done, pay for a section so you can see what the color looks like. It wasn't cheap here and the color is off compared to what I wanted. Sad
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Well this is what I got:

Ilkgo and Nacho at XPro Design did a great job and are easy to work with.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

The British Racing Green looks great! I think if you can black out the nerf bars and the shocks, it will really show through and be a head turner. Black or saddle interior will enhance the look further.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yup nerf bars are gone and the shocks are now silver.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

That green looks great. Some stock and wide steelies, and toning down the bright colors, would really pull together a vintage look. Well, side lights and 3 point belts will be a bit out of place, but a safety improvement.

(I'm glad I don't have annual safety inspections or am required to have any equipment not required for the year of my frame!)
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Tires getting mounted on the chrome smoothies.
Hubcaps ordered.
Belt guard stripped of yellow paint.

Need to find one of these buggy whip mounts, I have the whip just not the ball mount. Any ideas?

yeah, that's SIX in the buggy...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Manx1173
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Looks like a CB antenna mount:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/CB-Antenna-Ball-Mount-p/vts-588.htm
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Awesome! Ordered and they ship USPS Priority to APO AE!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Got the whip mount, it's pretty nice.

Also got a new pulley cover from Chirco, but I cleaned off paint on the old one and may go with that one.

Same one in this pic

Waiting for the wheels and tires to be balanced and just got the smoothie hub caps.

Also waiting for the flower stickers as well...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Tires wheels hubcaps exhaust belt guard on!
Need to adjust ride height and put on foam filters and get the seats to an upholstery shop.

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

That is a huge transformation in appearance! Have you run it enough to see how the exhaust is effecting it?
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

Looking great! So much cleaner and more simple.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That is a huge transformation in appearance! Have you run it enough to see how the exhaust is effecting it?

finally had a short drive around, doesn't seem to be noticeably slower in acceleration and the cruise noise through town at 50 kph isn't too loud. At 100-120 kph is nasty loud and I hate the flapping exhaust sound at that speed. I ordered some spark arrestors from chirco and see how that reduces hiway noise.

The wheels and tires seem pretty good, little soft hum from the the new rubber, but very easy to drive. I'm going to go up one notch and reduce the rake and check the beam angle next weekend.

Yup, looks way different and clean. Need to come up with some sort of plaque to put on the side for "50 years"
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Going Old School Dune Buggy -50 years -Winter Project Reply with quote

The mufflers I bought came with spark arrestors. My system is quiet enough that the wind noise at steady state driving at highway speeds is the dominant one, you can hardly hear the engine. It has a bit of bark if you get on the throttle though. I have not tried running without the arrestors.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: