Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval ignition switch question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Oval ignition switch question Reply with quote

I have 2 OE Oval ignition switches. They both seem to work fine except they don't have a spring to return them to the run position after depressing and turning them to the starter cranking position. Like I said, they work fine but I consciously have to turn them back to the run position once it starts.Both of them are the same way. Is that normal for these switches? Thanks in advance for a reply... Jeff
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval ignition switch question Reply with quote

... the 'SG' keyed switch in my '55 springs back, automatically.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval ignition switch question Reply with quote

Hi JeffRens, you might have an early Oval switch that was power on only. There would have been a second button to start the engine. My Oval is like that, it's a Canadian delivery 54. So I turn on the key, then push the button until it starts, then let the button go when it's running. Turn the key off to shut the engine off. They went to the momentary start (return spring) ignition switches sometime soon after or even during 54, I'm not exactly sure when.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval ignition switch question Reply with quote

54 Oval wrote:
They went to the momentary start (return spring) ignition switches sometime soon after or even during 54, I'm not exactly sure when.

Jan 1, 54 to be precise.

It's pretty common for oval switches to not spring back to the run position. Part of being an old switch.
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval ignition switch question Reply with quote

Precisely Bruce! 64 and-a-bit year old switches... I'm on my 3rd ignition switch in my 94 Dodge Ram farm truck with only 308,000-ish kms and it's only 24 years old!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval ignition switch question Reply with quote

You may need to push in and twist to feel the spring back. One click to the right is ignition on. Push in and turn a bit more to crank.

Mine springs back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval ignition switch question Reply with quote

'52 - '53 : Zwitter (Oval dashboard) and early Oval have only ON-OFF switch (no return spring) and aluminum starter push button.
These switches with mounting bracket have 3 terminals on the back.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oval ignition switch question Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain they are all P-code switches, not SG. How many screw terminals are on the back of the switch?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: