Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 59 bus.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: My new 59 bus. Reply with quote

Its been sitting for 15 years.

Facts I know.

1. Rebuilt motor 1400cc
2. Rebuilt trans.
3. Low rust.
4. Hells angels jumped on the roof in 1970.
5. Pedo black inside and out is way to nasty.
6. Awesome new seats!!!!
7. All new rubber!

Cons, it was towed there by the owner, he has forgotten why he parked it.
I pulled on the pully a little, it was not moving but im sure its not something to turn by your hands.

a. I have a shopping list and a todo list, put oil or magic oil into the case, let it soak, check valves, pull tank, change carb and fuel pump....

b. So far it has no tires.

What is g78-15? Ill need those before I can tow it home.
c. What is the Vin? 1959 "355644"

Link

Last edited by Jaybus on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

Congratulations on the bus purchase. It is not a Barndoor, please read the definition of Barndoor.

Barndoor Any Bus produced through February, 1955. The term Barndoor is credited to Jeff Walters and is in reference to the large decklid found on those vehicles. Barndoor Type 2's can also be recognized by the lack of an overhead fresh air vent over the windshield, 16 inch rims, the lack of full dash on non-deluxe models, non-opening rear window hatch (a few exceptions); not to mention miscellaneous switches, latches, seats and body panels that are unique to the Barndoor bus and no other. The term is often mistakenly used to refer to the 2 cargo doors on the side of a Bus.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

Congrats! An early Walk-thru Bus too.

Quote:
What is g78-15?

I don't understand what you are talking about. What is this number from?
I google'd it and those are the numbers of some trailer tires?

Isn't this the Bus that someone thought might be Postal Yellow because of the nose?
Any sign of it being originally yellow?

Can you post the numbers from the M-code plate behind the passenger front seat?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

I assume G78-15 is what the old, rotted tires have printed on them, and you need new tires to move the bus. That is a mostly out-of-use size term, tho it may still be in use in trailer/commercial tire world.

If this is the case, you don't HAVE to have 'G78-15' tires. You probably don't want to buy your 'forever' tires at this point, so any tires that hold air and fit the rims will work. Better yet is a different set of 'roller' tires and wheels to swap out for retrieving the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

Also, just FTR, those mirrors aren't from a Ghia. Not to nitpick, but just as a clue that stuff said by that narrator may not be...100% accurate.

Also, the mystery oil goes in the sparkplug holes, FWIW. Clara (I think) has a great thread on resurrecting motors that have been sitting. It might be in the FAQs.

Post more pics!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

G78-15 Tires

Ok, I saw you made another post asking what those tires are.

Yes, you don't need that old tire designation or size.
I'd get it on a full trailer to bring it home and worry about tires later.

You can buy normal Bus-size tires later, which is usually 205/75R15 or 195R15 if you can find those
Stock size tire thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132211
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

Z wrote:
but just as a clue that stuff said by that narrator may not be... 100% accurate

Oh Lordy literally zero percent of what came out of that guys mouth was accurate
Jaybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Congrats! An early Walk-thru Bus too.

Quote:
What is g78-15?

I don't understand what you are talking about. What is this number from?
I google'd it and those are the numbers of some trailer tires?

Isn't this the Bus that someone thought might be Postal Yellow because of the nose?
Any sign of it being originally yellow?

Can you post the numbers from the M-code plate behind the passenger front seat?

yes its either postal yellow or blue. the motor is blue.
Its $200 to get a tow a half a mile. (I live half a mile from the bus) so thats why I wanted to get better tires ASAP but it looks like it could be a towing issue.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

Do you have any pics of the engine bay? Nobody who would do what happened to that bus on the outside would repaint the engine bay. The engine should not have any blue paint on it- unless it's on the coil.

If it is a '59 I'm pretty sure somebody in your county would trade you the right bumpers for those pressed units.

If you're only towing half a mile- load those ancient trailer tires with air and go for it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

Jaybus wrote:

c. What is the Vin? 1959 "355644"

If that is the VIN# then it would be a late 1958 model.

58's have press bumpers so don't go selling your bumper(s).

58's also do not have an m-code plate. There will be a body stamp number where the m-code plate would be on a later bus (behind passenger side of front seat, on the divider wall).

Cool bus!
Jaybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

sorry the motor compartment is sky blue. I dont have photos and its behind his locked gate. The rubber is actually off the rims so no go.
I can just Uhaul rent a flat bed for $80 done deal and hand winch it.

The darn labor day holiday, Ill try to get out 10am to uhaul and get it home.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

Congrats on the find. For sure there are more out there ready to be discovered and be salvaged, it only a matter to time, and, perhaps, timing!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Barn door. Reply with quote

Congratulations Jaybus although sorry to hear it is not postal yellow although double check the corners/pockets of the engine compartment to be sure. Good idea on the Mystery oil in the cylinders maybe you will get lucky.

Jaybus wrote:
sorry the motor compartment is sky blue. I dont have photos and its behind his locked gate. The rubber is actually off the rims so no go.
I can just Uhaul rent a flat bed for $80 done deal and hand winch it.

The darn labor day holiday, Ill try to get out 10am to uhaul and get it home.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jaybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 bus. Reply with quote

Actually when we sanded it down its yellow.
I think the person mentioned postal yellow.
I just need to get the darn tires.

WHy is yellow better? Rarer vin code?
My 1976 is smurf blue, we painted that the correct year/vin code.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 bus. Reply with quote

Jaybus wrote:

I just need to get the darn tires.

Borrow a set of Beetle wheels from someone in your area. As long as they are the pre-1968 wide five lug rims, they will work. if the parking brake works, you can tow it home yourself the half mile. Just go SLOW, and save yourself $200.00 toward new real Bus tires.

Most likely the rear shoes are stuck to the drums. Remove lug bolts nearest the shoes, use a long punch thru the lug bolt holes, and with hammer rap against the spines of the shoes to pop them loose from the drums.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 bus. Reply with quote

Jaybus wrote:
Actually when we sanded it down its yellow.
I think the person mentioned postal yellow.
WHy is yellow better? Rarer vin code?

Postal Yellow was a special order color so there are A LOT less Buses that came that color.

So yes, sort of rare to have an Bus in that color.

Others
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 bus. Reply with quote

There has got to be someone at your local VW club that has a set of rotten rollers they’d be willing to lend you.

The b pillar in the video also looks blue. But maybe pull down a section that’s not visible and see what’s before the primer. Postal yellow is pretty cool. Additionally if you’re keeping the original paint, it would be fun to strip around the eagle and keep it for a summer. Ka-kaw!
Jaybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 bus. Reply with quote

I got a tow coming up on saturday.

Can any one comment on the interrior? The black is nasty. But the interior is kind of neat. What are the wood siding? I think Ill cover in purple paisley fabric.

I like the arch way. It will need a bed and I have a half a futon slat bottom.
I have an expensive RV propane micro sized oven, high end 12v semi truck refrigerator and micro sized sink.

I do consider blasting the outside and inside.

If the interior is way to Pedo looking id consider removing it and taking to the dump. I like it but the black, is really nasty.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 bus. Reply with quote

Wood paneling... Just 1970s stuff. Someone made it.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 bus. Reply with quote

Use some Formula 409 / Simple Green if the interior is physically nasty.
If it’s just visually nasty to you... maybe give it a while to see if it grows on you.
That thing is a stabbin’ cabin time capsule... cool as all heck.

Walk through pressed bumper buses are RARE.
You did good to get it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: