Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Severe popping sound out carburetor Help ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Severe popping sound out carburetor Help ? Reply with quote

Just took my first test drive around the block on a 2 year resto of my 52 11g Split.
Everything on this car has been done over.
So as I am pulling away in first gear the motor is making popping sounds out the carb and power sucks.
Checked timing and it's ok.
I am thinking maybe to adjust the valves again.
Any thoughts?

The most important thing on a Tombstone is the Dash between the 2 dates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe popping sound out carburetor Help ? Reply with quote

So I've let a couple of hours go by so that engine cools down and just for shits and giggles I thought I would look under distributor lid.
Guess what ? 2 and 4 were inter changed with each other (OOOOPS!)
What a difference that made.
I believe I read that there's 3800 parts in a Beetle, what could possible go wrong ? 🤤

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Severe popping sound out carburetor Help ? Reply with quote

when I tried to start my fresh rebuilt engine, it didn't want to start. The reason was: The company that have rebuilt my distributor did a mistake, mouning the connector piece turned-out about 180 degree. A failure, you don't see in the first view...
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Severe popping sound out carburetor Help ? Reply with quote

It sounds like it's backfiring through the carburetor. While that could be valves badly out of tolerance, I'd also go back and look at the distributor much more closely. You didn't say what engine was in the car. That then begs the question as to whether you have the correct distributor for the engine in question. This could significantly affect things. I know because I've been there, and done that. Next recheck the wires' proper placement at both ends. Do you have an electronic ignition installed? This will impact proper timing too as it's very difficult to static time the system so equipped. If it's still mechanical, have you only static timed it? If so, you really ought to go back and check/reset timing at 3,000 rpm. It should advance no more than 30 degrees BTDC. That's where timing really counts because that's the speed at which you'll be driving. If you bring it into tolerance there, it'll just find it own comfort zone when it returns to idle. There are other possibilities like leaking manifolds etc, but those are increasingly esoteric and unlikely. Use the KISS principle and go for the simple explanations first.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Severe popping sound out carburetor Help ? Reply with quote

sometimes I wonder if people actually read the replies? He obviously fixed his own problem...
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Severe popping sound out carburetor Help ? Reply with quote

I didn't want to rain on his parade.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Severe popping sound out carburetor Help ? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
sometimes I wonder if people actually read the replies? He obviously fixed his own problem...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: