Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is your favorite part of your vintage VW???
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

Hi Samba folks

Still trying to figure a vintage VW into my budget and it got me to thinking what the favorite part(s) of your vintage VW are???...

Me personally....getting into the car itself with that very distinct VW interior smell (kinda like dried up dead fish I think)....and that signature sound of a vintage VW exhaust....I smell it or I hear it and I am instantly back in the late 1970's again...

shoot Richard Nixon is president again too....darn it...

Just wondering out loud again...

MikeC
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

I like the way they drive and sound. Also the way they smell. It takes me back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

I like the engines in these cars simple design easy to work on, light enough to do most anything on the bench without needing help. Used to be cheap to work on prices going up now. Man I’m old enough to remember tricky dick, kinda ironic his insistence to record everything bit him in the ass. 70s was a weird time.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

The fact that they’ll go damn near anywhere.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I like the engines in these cars simple design easy to work on, light enough to do most anything on the bench without needing help. Used to be cheap to work on prices going up now. Man I’m old enough to remember tricky dick, kinda ironic his insistence to record everything bit him in the ass. 70s was a weird time.

70s music was awesome.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

Million different reasons, but yep affects the senses sight, smell, feel, sound. I've never tried to taste my VW. Great when somebody starts talking to you about your ride or gives a thumbs up, but its the experience.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

2 things mainly, it's paid for and reliable.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

The favorite part of my 1965 111 is it's matching Numbers engine ALL STOCK Original. It's a 36hp with 7.2 compression, Factory fresh air heater that uses the 40hp heat exchangers, muffler, uses 3/4" aluminum exhaust port extensions to make the head the same length as the 40hp head. It has special Factory tin including a special breast plate. The carburetor is the Solex 28PCI manual choke. The engine architecture dates back to Franz Reimspiess and his original designed engine for Dr. Porsche in 1937. It's called the "E" Motor (1937-1965). All "E" Motors or engines are easily distinguished by having the noticeable "fixed" or "cast in the case" generator stand.

Last edited by Helfen on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwcanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
70s music was awesome.

Agreed! Dancing

I like it best that our bus was a father & son project. Looking forward to next summer when my son learns to drive.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
The favorite part of my 1965 111 is it's matching Numbers engine. It's a 36hp with 7.2 compression, fresh air heater that uses the 40hp heat exchangers, muffler, uses 3/4" aluminum exhaust port extensions to make the head the same length as the 40hp head. It has special tin including a special breast plate. The carburetor is the Solex 28PCI manual choke. The engine architecture dates back to Franz Reimspiess and his original designed engine for Dr. Porsche in 1937. It's called the "E" Motor (1937-1965). All "E" Motors or engines are easily distinguished by having the noticeable "fixed" or "cast in the case" generator stand.

Is it 6 volt?
That's my favorite part of my '66. The headlights are like little candles glowing in the dark.

Last edited by iowegian on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

"That" sound back there.
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

As a very ignorant youngster, eager to get into classic cars for the novelty value, and inspecting what would ultimately become my first split bus (still have it! Very Happy), I made my way around the vehicle, eventually ending up the to the driver's door. I peered in through the open window, saw the classic speedo' face, which I thought was beautiful...and I was sold on it. Laughing

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Helfen wrote:
The favorite part of my 1965 111 is it's matching Numbers engine. It's a 36hp with 7.2 compression, fresh air heater that uses the 40hp heat exchangers, muffler, uses 3/4" aluminum exhaust port extensions to make the head the same length as the 40hp head. It has special tin including a special breast plate. The carburetor is the Solex 28PCI manual choke. The engine architecture dates back to Franz Reimspiess and his original designed engine for Dr. Porsche in 1937. It's called the "E" Motor (1937-1965). All "E" Motors or engines are easily distinguished by having the noticeable "fixed" or "cast in the case" generator stand.

Is it 6 volt?
That's my favorite part of my '66. The headlights are like little candles glowing in the dark.

Yes, the standard model kept the 6 Volt system to 1975 but I think you already know that don't you?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

It doesn't look fast. So I don't get every kid in their mom's Civic wanting to race.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

My favorite part is the 9' x 5' Bed:

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

“Thweep” sound in pea shooter exhaust.

The smell. Even after stripping my 63 and replacing everything inside and out, it still has that smell. Like hot metal not sure if it has to do with heat channels, heat exchangers, etc.

Rolling the windows down,no radio, and just stepping back in time. Disconnecting from the world and enjoying simplicity.
kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

This could go for any car old or new, but when the radio is
playing the rite music, your cruising down the road, it's just a great
feeling.

For me though, between the smell, the sound, and the nostalgia of driving
an old car. Mind you my headliner is still original so that may help
with the smell.
Also the fact that my parents had 3 of them (1 Super, 2 standard)
Beetles when I was a kid in the early 80's, and I had a 73 standard in 1994
it's like a time machine.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

The smiles it brings to people's faces and the thumbs up I get when driving it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

Watching someone slug the shit out of their buddy/significant other while yelling "punch buggy" or "slug-a-bug" as I drive by.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: What is your favorite part of your vintage VW??? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The fact that they’ll go damn near anywhere.

Link

Jesus, I'm all for these cars but "go damn near anywhere" is total BS, Rolling Eyes get with reality. My front wheel drive automatic Nissan Maxima would make it up what you pictured here. Here's what REALLY happens when you try to take one of these off road

Link

They are SNOW-handling capable, NOT off-road handling capable unless baja-ed or otherwise modified.
Kind of tired of the samba overstating these cars' capablilties

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: