Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parking brake cables too short
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Parking brake cables too short Reply with quote

Yes I did search and no I did not find an answer to my problem

Put in a Big nut trans in my October 62 bus. Got the 64-67 136 inch cables but they are still 2 inches too short. I measured them next to the old small nut cables which were stretched so far that they could no longer be tightened and they were an inch shorter (135 inches). I tried both cables just in case and both are short. My understanding is that the 64-67 cables are the longest available so purchasing another set is not going to help.

If I pull the cable hard enough to get it through the floor the brakes are locked up and I haven't even got the lock nuts on yet. Am I missing something?
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Camerod posted in another thread about it:

if your bus has cable adjustment below the floor, SIMPLY use your original '55-mid '60 cables and extend them with 6mm all thread coupler nuts and two 3" pieces of all thread or 3" long 6mm bolts. tighten the allthread/bolts against the end of the ebrake cables using the coupler nuts, then use 6mm regular nuts to adjust the cables as stock...this works flawlessly!

if your bus is a late '60-63 just use the 64-64 cables as hazetguy suggested

BTW, if you have trouble finding the 6mm coupler nuts I can send them to you for $2.00 ea.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original small nut cables are held in with a clamp. The 64 up use a c clip. The 60-63 is 3360mm while the 64 up is 3465mm. Measured side by side the late is longer, at 135.5 inches but still is too short to reach the handle pin.

Anyone try to "unwind" the cable a bit to see if I can get any needed length?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid question: is your emergency brake lever in the fully released position/all the way to the front?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is fully forward in the released position.

Is 136 inches correct for the late cables?
KombiMarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took mine out, 65 Kombi, and they are 136"........you must be missing something, not sure what though, but 136 is the number.

Thanks Marc
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the crappy pics

Is the tube in another location or shorter between a 63 and 64? I think the s curve between the backing plate and tube is more than before using needed length.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you look closely you can see where the old cable was. A straighter shot to the tube and more of a curve than an s.

There is not enough cable to wrap around the bottom of the handle.

KombiMarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....well it has to be something at the rear end, because the distance from the lever to the tube and the tube would be the same...This is weird. Looks like you have it the only way you can. Surprised no one else has chimed in that has seen the same thing... There cannot be that big of a difference in distance between the small and big nut.....weird.

Thanks Marc
billybob57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bus guy wrote:
This is what Camerod posted in another thread about it:

if your bus has cable adjustment below the floor, SIMPLY use your original '55-mid '60 cables and extend them with 6mm all thread coupler nuts and two 3" pieces of all thread or 3" long 6mm bolts. tighten the allthread/bolts against the end of the ebrake cables using the coupler nuts, then use 6mm regular nuts to adjust the cables as stock...this works flawlessly!

if your bus is a late '60-63 just use the 64-64 cables as hazetguy suggested

BTW, if you have trouble finding the 6mm coupler nuts I can send them to you for $2.00 ea.

Wondering if there is any pictures of this set up?????
also if your Bus is 55-59 can you still use the 64-67 cables and cut the spring down 2'inches???

55 Panel

56 Double Door
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can put a spacer at the backing plate if the the cables are too long

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, I can get the threaded ends to just poke through the floor and thats it. My bus was straight axled before I got it.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update, no matter what cables I got they were either too long or short so I just cut off a foot of the original cables and used cable clamps to extend the new too short cables.

Yes its a hack but I would rather have working parking brakes!
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
Sorry for the crappy pics

Is the tube in another location or shorter between a 63 and 64? I think the s curve between the backing plate and tube is more than before using needed length.

I think this may be the problem, though it's hard to tell from your photo--you have a longer tube.

I just looked at my 67 and the tube extends only about 1" rearward from the cross member, and the cable/housing makes a very gentle curve--not the "S" as shown in your photo. In short, the distance between the end of the tube and the brake backing plate is longer in later buses.

I don't have an early and late cable to compare but my theory is, the later/longer cable has a longer cover extending toward the tube than does the earlier/shorter cable. That would mean the later cable could not be pushed forward toward the hand brake lever as it should because the tube opening prevents it and, since the cover is longer, the end of the cable that goes to the lever never reaches that far. The result is you have a longer overall cable, but since the cover is longer it is forced to make that cramped "S" bend to fit in the short space. It looks like if you straightened out that "S", you'd have enough cable to reach the lever.

Now, the above is just a theory on why you have this problem. Hopefully, someone who has dealt with this can confirm or correct or add to this. Maybe you could simply take a look at the tube and measure how far it extends from the cross member, and also compare your old cable cover with the longer one and note any difference in length of the cover.
Rich Hanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: e-brake Reply with quote

I had the problem of being either too short or too long on the e-brake cables. I used the shorter ones, but cut off the tubing at the rear of the bus where the cable enters the main body. I took off an inch and they work perfectly.
57 23-Window Bus
57 oval window
83 1/2 Westy
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IRS-converted '66 had a similar issue; the support beam applied the e-brake when it moved and limited the travel of the rear shoe. After the third time a wheel cylinder popped the front piston out I drilled holes in the beams and passed the cable through. I'll post a picture when it's daylight enough for my camera to focus on it.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got a picture of the cable threading through the beam but I can't figure out how to post it. The key is to drill a hole and then slant it with an end mill in a big drill so the beam doesn't make it take a sharp bend.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As additional information in this thread, I installed a big nut transaxle in my split case SC.
The backing plates are different between big nut and small nut and consequently the stock cables are about 50mm short.
I opted to cut 50mm out of the cable sheath at the rear. I welded the sheath back onto the end piece after shortening. I also installed a return spring from a set of 61 cables as it is significantly longer than the split case spring.
Lots of dicking around, but good results - the sheath is the proper length, the return spring is the right length, the cables are the right length, no hackage to the bus and no hackage to the backing plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put 62 e-brake cables on my IRS in a 62 bus. I had to cut the return spring down 2" inside the wheel cylinder. I also cut an inch off of the housing and it gave me more cable end to connect at the lever. The nuts are barely on the cable ends at the lever.
See also: http://www.steeringboxscrapers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2774
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake cables too short Reply with quote

I'm experiencing the same problem. I had to cut my return spring inside the drum and I noticed the tube sticking inside the backing plate is longer. Cutting this whole tube maybe the solution? The new replacement cable is way different. Annoying.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: