Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Climate Control Cables
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewNL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

In the middle of changing out my front heater blower motor in my 86 westy when I found damage to 2 of my control cables. The two that need replacing are for the temperature and rear vents (2nd from top & bottom levers).

Found a local supplier for a cable, model #: 251 265 473A, after research I've found that this is used for the temperature control lever. I know some vendors are selling different cable model #'s for each control. The local supplier has assured that they have used this one cable (251 265 473A) in all positions in the past with no issues.

Just looking for feedback here before I order the cable.

As long as the cable is long enough it should work in any position correct? It just needs to be routed and pinched in the correct position to allow full travel of the levers.

Thanks
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts...eizungszug
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MatthewNL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

Maybe I should specify my question clearer...

I understand I can source all 4 of the cables for each control lever from multiple vendors online. However I would like to be able to use the one cable my local supplier can supply, as they suggested that I can just use that one cable for any of the positions.

Is this possible, has anyone else used the cable 251 265 473A for any of the other 4 positions?

Thanks
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

I haven't done it, but your premise is correct. Any similar cable with adequate length should clamp in
place and be functional. Too long may cause binding due to kinks/bends trying to make it fit, however.

Post up your results! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

You can of course shorten a cable but not lengthen it. While you are at it you should consider this mod to the heater cable

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it just reduces the chance that the heater cable will buckle when turning the heat off.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

MatthewNL wrote:
Maybe I should specify my question clearer...

I understand I can source all 4 of the cables for each control lever from multiple vendors online. However I would like to be able to use the one cable my local supplier can supply, as they suggested that I can just use that one cable for any of the positions.

Is this possible, has anyone else used the cable 251 265 473A for any of the other 4 positions?

Thanks

I have substituted one cable for another and the result was shortening of the lever throw on the dash.

Since corrected and would not do again.
MatthewNL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

Does anyone have a schematic for the lower climate cable “rear vents” or would be able to tell me where the other end is connected and how to best access it? Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

MatthewNL wrote:
Does anyone have a schematic for the lower climate cable “rear vents” or would be able to tell me where the other end is connected and how to best access it? Thanks

Not sure what you are referring to, but there is a diverter valve just forward of the center tube for the heating system. To get the most heat up front, just set this valve to the straight through position and forget trying to heat the rear of the cab.

Disregard this post, thought I was on the Bay Window Forum, Sad

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

PS: No heat from the front to the rear vents...only "fresh" (ambient) air... Cool

['86, anyway...] Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Disregard this post, thought I was on the Bay Window Forum, Sad

First World Problems....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MatthewNL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

Yes this is a cable to control the rear vents “fresh air flow”. I need to replace this cable however I traced it from the dash and it goes into the floor and not sure where it is connected on the other end.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

What year?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MatthewNL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate Control Cables Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
What year?

86 westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: