Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood Bolts?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

I tried to search the forum for info but came up with nothing. I guess I ain't asking right.

I just got my Manx clone painted and I puttied over the holes that were there when I got it and I'm looking for an easy way to remount/bolt the hood. Formerly it didn't have a fuel tank mounted up front and now it does and the new ones in the way.

I've heard of some people just using course screws from the fender side and that's easy enough. But I don't necessarily care for it.

Seems to me there is a way to mount something to the hood side where it can't move or twist and then you insert the bolts through the fender. This I like, but I don't exactly know how it's done.

My questions are what's everyone think is the best or maybe even the easiest way and how have some of you guys mounted your hoods?
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

I used these in my hood,
bolted underneath, through fender.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

I used nutserts and then stainless button head screws with washers and lots of anti-seize.

If you simply filled the old bolt holes with putty before paint I would be sure to not drill new holes anywhere near them as they make crack or pop.
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

Hi 56 manx,

My reply may only create more questions than it answers. When I purchased my Berrien Buggy Nostalgia body from the original Berrien Buggy Company (located in Berrien County, MI) back in 2005, the pre-assembled points of attachment consisted of just 4 locations. A threaded clip was (and still is, at least on my body) used on each side of the hood, located near the headlights. The rear of the hood (dash end), attaches to the body by the use of one bolt on each side.

Included photos show the location of the forward hole (enlarged view on the right), a (not so helpful) shot of the clip, and a photo that happens to show the attaching hole in the dash end of the hood.

Obviously, because of the differences in hoods (at the dash end) between a Manx body and a Berrien Buggy Nostalgia body, I can’t say for certain that this would work for your application. I have no idea what the exact name of the part is, in reference to the forward clips. I have no idea by what method the original Berrien Buggy Company used to correctly locate/drill holes where this clip was to be mounted in the first place.

This attachment method, at least in my opinion, has been very solid over the years. Maybe others can chime in with more information.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

Clip on nut. Find at www.mcmaster.com

Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

No-Slip Clip-On Barrel Nut; yes, that is the clip that I mentioned above. Thanks, bigfatloser.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

On ours I drilled and tapped 8 - 1"x2" pieces of 3/8" plate, then resin bonded them in 4 places on the inside of each side of the hood. Then used stainless bolts with anti-sieze to bolt it together. This way the nose and body are "sandwiched" between the bolts and plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

Ken has a nice idea, but my Manx clone buggy was closer to the Berrien idea. I had 4 bolts with fender washers on both sides with nylon lock nuts. That was as far as I could reach around with my face at the corner of the windshield and one arm under the fender and the other reaching under the dash to about the back of the gas tank. There was one more of those bolt and nut combos up front on each side. That end the bolt was inside and the locknut on the tire side. I could just hold that bolt head with a combo wrench after just slipping the bolt in place using doubleback tape on my fingertip.

So... I never came up with a good answer, but there are lots of OK solutions. Aligning and pilot drilling, followed with a good threaded plate bonded into the "hood" does seem like a cleaner and better fitting solution.
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
So... I never came up with a good answer, but there are lots of OK solutions. Aligning and pilot drilling, followed with a good threaded plate bonded into the "hood" does seem like a cleaner and better fitting solution.

My bolts are all installed thru the wheel well area, and the plates being bonded means I don't have to deal with a wrench on the other side when thightening. Those fender clips will work, as that's what holds the fenders on my HotRod, but I worry that a crack would form and then the hood would slowly wiggle/vibrate loose and the bolt would tear thru. Plus my hood is about 5/16" thick on the sides and the clips would have to be spread apart possibly past the limit for it to squeeze back into shape and be retained in place on the 'glass.
Then again they've been used for years, so they obviously work, but probably not in my scenerio??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Bolts? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the ideas. It's obvious that I should check out Mc Master, especially now I know the name of the place and the names of the hardware.

As usual you guys on Samba always help me get the job done.

R
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: