Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

Purchased a drum to drum straight axle from a member here for my swap. He said it was in great condition.

Did the nose cone swap and bolted her up. (New oil as well)

Now with engine in its acting strange. In neutral I have passenger side wheel spinning. (I can stop it by hand)

When I try to put it in gear the passenger side continues to spin to but driver side seems to be getting caught on something. With the car off I can spin both side by hand and nothing seems to be binding.

It also seems that I cant really find any gears. I can get into what seems to be 4th but its just all over the place.

I made sure that the forks in the tranny lined up befor putting in the hockey stick. Could this transmission be busted or did I screw something up with the nose cone? Please see videos below.

Link

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:

It also seems that I cant really find any gears. I can get into what seems to be 4th but its just all over the place.

Sounds like a shift linkage problem.

Wheel turning is because you have two shafts side by side in a viscous fluid called gear oil.

Note that the mixed blades are not touching the bowl, but the bowl turns despite that.

Link

TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

That makes sense but why when it’s in gear does one turn and the other acts like it’s binding?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
That makes sense but why when it’s in gear does one turn and the other acts like it’s binding?

Turn by hand or by engine??

Probably because the open differential is working.

Link

View part 1 & 2.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

when you did the nose cone did you make sure all the shift forks were in the neutral position?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

Here is how I had it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

When you had the nosecone off did you place the lower part of the hockey stick into the grove in the shift fork extensions you have pictured here ? Those are the three metal extentions with a common groove that provides movement for the hockey stick. Place the hockey stick in the common groove and carefully slide the nosecone down the stick while assuring the flat part of the stick stays in the common groove , and ya should be set Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

I did, made sure you can swing the stick between the forks, left to right, right to left.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

The stock differential have "clunky" corse bevel cut gears in them and will jerk/divide power from one wheel to another while not under a load .This is normal But any abnormal actions or noises will go away under use /load. Have you tried it on the ground yet? Is you shifter,shift coupler and shift rods doing there job? The shifter will slide side-to-side and back and fourth when the two securing screws at the base of the shifter are loosened to facilitate adjustment.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

Haven’t had it on the ground just yet as the brakes aren’t hooked up. This was the first time firing it up.

I haven’t messed with the shifter since the RGB was in there and was shifting just fine.

Shift coupler is good. Shift feels good in the neutral position.I can move it side to side no problem, but thats about it. Trying to get into any gear with it running or off has the same feel. First and second hit a wall and dont go in. Feels like 3rd and 4th go in but cant be sure if those are actually 3rd and 4th.

Same with the engine out.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

The indexing on the hockey stick might be different between the two transmissions and it is affecting the ranges or "shift quadrants" you can access . In this case you can do a simple shifter "shuffle" adjustment . With the nose cone off you have to make sure the shift rods that protrude all are aligned at the center detent for the two rods for 1234 and reverse is not engaged. reverse rod will only have one detent to engage. "will move only half as much as the other two"
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

I personally have used an adjustable shift copler up front in all of my past conversions. Some get away without having to do it but mine never shifter correctly without it.
SBS #00
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

does that work on late style cars? I might be for early only? any links?
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

not sure if covered but are you using the correct hockey stick with the slight bend? correct fir this type of nose cone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

yeah using the bus nose cone and hockey stick.
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/-sYLtVXb_3M

Did you make certain that your forks were without a doubt in neutral? I thought I was certain with my Benco transmission swap, turned out I wasn't after having to remove everything again. Pain in the ass, but that was my issue, the video should help ^^^. Or, your shift rod coupler isn't in the dimpled grooves for the grub screws causing the shifter to not go into gears; don't forget to safety wire those bad boys or it will come off while driving. My wheel was turning fast because it was in gear, it went into fourth as well like yours, and it was never truly in neutral. I'm now an expert in removing/installing bus transmissions because of this simple mistake. Laughing Good luck!

It is what it is
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

6sixTinBox wrote:
https://youtu.be/-sYLtVXb_3M

Did you make certain that your forks were without a doubt in neutral? I thought I was certain with my Benco transmission swap, turned out I wasn't after having to remove everything again. Pain in the ass, but that was my issue, the video should help ^^^. Or, your shift rod coupler isn't in the dimpled grooves for the grub screws causing the shifter to not go into gears; don't forget to safety wire those bad boys or it will come off while driving. My wheel was turning fast because it was in gear, it went into fourth as well like yours, and it was never truly in neutral. I'm now an expert in removing/installing bus transmissions because of this simple mistake. Laughing Good luck!

Now you got me questioning it. I had it in what I thought was neutral. can anyone tell from the picture I posted? I know its not the greatest.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
can anyone tell from the picture I posted? I know its not the greatest.

If all of them are lined up then it has to be neutral. If any one is in a gear you shouldn't be able to slide another one.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

If a few parts went missing in the intermediate housing "the two pins between the shift shafts" at once upon a time when it was apart they would all line up on the "pushed down " side. From the picture it looks like the rails are a bit low from the central line up point for correct neutral. To test this take the cone off and cycle the center rail up then down It should have three positions ,Then find its midpoint then line the others with the centered center one ,then re install the cone /stick combo
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 straight axle swap. Tranny acting strange Reply with quote

Also I can turn the wheels by hand in neutral with no resistance from the motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: