Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drilling drums?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Drilling drums? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm going to change the front beam of my 54 beetle (installing and adjustable one) and I was thinking on drilling the drums for cooling purposes.

Does this mod worth the effort? I'm running stock brakes at front and 70's beetle rear with 5x205 adapter drums, but probably put a 63 front ones (the front beam is a 63)

What would you recommend me to do? Also I will put a brake booster on it.

Thanks and cheers from Spain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Drilling drums? Reply with quote

Why not convert to front disc brakes?
Better braking performance and cooling than drum brakes.
And no more adjusting the brake shoes Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilling drums? Reply with quote

I had a place in the United States do it for me. It helped, but it wasn't a magic bullet. If you want to try a change that will make a huge difference, downsize your master cylinder.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=384049&highlight=master+cylinder

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilling drums? Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
I had a place in the United States do it for me. It helped, but it wasn't a magic bullet. If you want to try a change that will make a huge difference, downsize your master cylinder.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=384049&highlight=master+cylinder

Cheers,

Paul

Do you have any pics of your drilled drums?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: