Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New scam resembling C/L
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

Today I got a text message exactly like I get every time is sell some bit on local Craigslist. EXCEPT it was from my theSamba.com listing of a complete 356A Porsche engine.
It was exactly the same words, even reference the ad a C/L ad: "OK Great, i'm cool with the price and condition as described on the ad on CL. I'll like to buy it asap and I will be sending a certified check... and arrange shipment..."
Is it time for me to begin planning my vacation, or should I hold off...?
Is this a common thing now?
(Not very often someone is "cool with the price"!!)
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

This sounds like a typical text scam to me, there is some information and examples in the Buyer and Seller area scam thread HERE

Since they mention craiglist but it was for an ad on this site, my guess would be they copied their normal craigslist "script" they use there and forgot to change things.
Not the first time I've seen dumb stuff from the scammers...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

Well, I'd love to F*** with them and get them to send the check, but probably no upside to me... This came in as text. I suppose I could text them a couple hundred pictures of the subject 1955 Porsche engine in all its glory..?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

Yes, you are probably wasting your time but if you want to have fun, go for it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

I started receiving these texts fairly regularly when I changed my location from Olympia, Wa to Petaluma, Ca.. I guess the washington state area is an untapped market for these guys.

I have been receiving them often enough that I’ve been thinking about taking my phone number out of my ads.

Two today:

+1 (857) 219-0493
+1 (913) 730-6587

Earlier in the month

+1 (517) 492-1196
+1 (857) 219-3178
+1 (918) 268-6455

And a bunch inbetween that I deleted. Maybe I’ll start listing all of the numbers here?

Even my 92 year old grandpa got several of them when he decided to downsize and sell off a bunch of furniture recently.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

Yes, it's crazy, they do it A LOT.

I have a big list in the scammer thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253

I add ones that people send me to that listing so it will come up on a Google search.
I see at least one of you numbers there already

You can post them here if you want, the same thing should happen - Google result.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

I wonder if requiring people to log into thesamba to view phone numbers would help slow it down?

Maybe have the number scrambled unless they actually have an account and log in?

I assume they are using text because you’ve already blocked their email addresses?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I wonder if requiring people to log into thesamba to view phone numbers would help slow it down?

Maybe have the number scrambled unless they actually have an account and log in?

I assume they are using text because you’ve already blocked their email addresses?

The phone #s are hidden right now but a click reveals it.

I could restrict phone # visibility to logged in members but they would probably just create accounts we can't identify as scammers.
I will keep that in mind as a option.
I have considered that for email contact as well but have resisted forcing people to create accounts for that reason.

The scammers use whatever works including texts but yes, we do have a zillion emails blocked and we add more almost daily. They create new ones all the time too.
It is easier to block emails/scam-type terms they use in emails.
Obviously I can't block texts.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New scam resembling C/L Reply with quote

Another
+1 (231) 745-5266
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: