Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Chris, I tried to find the Chris Barber book through several sources but the price ranged from about $ 750.00 to over $ 3000.00 ! What's it printed on ? Still trying to figure out what the correct designation is, Typ 87, Typ 287, Typ 887, no two sources seem to agree. I think your comment on the Barber book being more credible might weigh heavier, but I don't think I'm likely to find an affordable copy that I could reference.

Well there is this option:
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Birth-of-the-Beetle-The-Development-of-the-VW-p/1859609597.htm
Not the lowest price I've seen, but at least less than your stated examples.
Good luck, Idea
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

That's nuts. I think I paid about $50 for mine. I wish I had bought 5 more.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Chris, I tried to find the Chris Barber book through several sources but the price ranged from about $ 750.00 to over $ 3000.00 ! What's it printed on ? Still trying to figure out what the correct designation is, Typ 87, Typ 287, Typ 887, no two sources seem to agree. I think your comment on the Barber book being more credible might weigh heavier, but I don't think I'm likely to find an affordable copy that I could reference.

The book has gotten crazy expensive. They really need to print some more.

It appears that some of the designations changed after the British took control.

The 4wd Kubelwagen was the Type 87 and the Kommanerwagen was the 287. The British assigned Type 87 to the Kommanderwagens that they built.

Similarly, the Beetle on Kubel pan was the Type 82E but the British version was called the Type 51.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
That's nuts. I think I paid about $50 for mine. I wish I had bought 5 more.

I agree; call it the "Amazon effect" (thanks Mr. Bezos and company, though not really). Wink
also, I'm not sure it's a supply problem per se; so sadly, am not sure whether a reprint; or boosting volume will reduce prices on this mainstay of VW literature? Arrow
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

Thanks to all, I think I'll spend my money on the project ! Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
There are plenty of pictures of schwimmers with narrow 16" wheels with nipple hubcaps .....

While a few of the prototypes were fitted with hubcaps, production schwimmers never had hubcaps.
Early production Kubels came with hubcaps, but those were deleted early in the production run.
The wartime photos you see of Schwimmers with hubcaps are surely wheels taken from an early Kubel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

Just to wake up a sleeping forum topic, I just came across a link to a Typ 92SS restoration at WWIIVW.com. A barn find in Europe has been meticulously restored to original configuration. Their research shows that it was originally shipped to Deutche Afrika Korps ( DAK ), apparently somehow finding its way back to Europe. The restoration is quite extensive and thorough. Shocked
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

Apologies, I let my enthusiasm get ahead of me. The car, a Typ 92 was delivered to DAF Zentralstelle in 1942, not DAK as I misread. It is a Sedan, not a Sunroof, and does not show a Typ 92 SS interior as seen in some previous photos of Kommandeurwagens, but curiously a standard sedan configuration, with semaphores which may have been added during the restoration, since the photos of the car as found appear not to have them. Also, the website might more easily be accessed using ww2vw.com.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Also, the website might more easily be accessed using ww2vw.com.

Here is the url. Wasn't too diificult.

http://ww2vw.com/restoration/vw-beetle-types-92-60l-82e/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: