Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Hi,

Still searching for my van! I am buying long distance so not able to view each van.

I have 2 options (each 5-speed manual) each costing the same but different:

Option A
No rust. Re-painted when new. Low mileage (67,000 miles). No repair/service records. The seller has owned for only a year, had the van checked out (no problems), changed applicable fluids then went on an extensive 6 week cross-country trip with no issues.

Option B
No rust. Recently repainted. Body has 193,000 miles but a 75,000 donor engine was installed with new timing belt/tensioners. Given the wear on the body, he replaced all filters, plugs/wires, water pump, clutch, A/C compressor, A/C condenser, front/rear brake pads/rotors/calipers and brake hoses, 02 sensor, heater fan motor, CV boots, ball joints, and installed stainless exhaust.

Interesting fact for each:
Option A was repainted black when purchased new because the owner had a preference for black vehicles.
Option B was recently repainted Porsche orange (exterior body parts/trim stripped, etc.).

See attached photos of each.

Given this choice, any preference (besides color)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 1961tbird on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJEuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

I'd go with option A, I like the complete service records and low mile combo, otherwise it boils down to price and preference.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Both seem fine, but A seems like a simpler scenario. Unless you don’t care for black.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

It looks like the orange one has a weekender poptop but I see full camper provisions. What is the difference in build out? Does one had camper components and the other have weekender components?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Both have full camper options with a factory cold weather option too! These are Canadian Westfalia versions (1992-1995)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

More pictures please! To me, the orange one also has a nice aftermarket tent up top, aftermarket wheels, and a nice exhaust. Hard to tell if the black one has these same upgrades.
Can you educate us on what the Canadian "factory cold weather option" included?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

To quote the seller: "Cold weather package is a factory westfalia option that includes a propane heater that runs on a timer throughout the night when stationary providing heat without the danger of carbon dioxide poisioning. This is a unit that is installed by the factory and has many working parts to insure the safety of its passengers."

Attached a few more photos. A "before" paint photo too.

It's easy to get caught up in the orange color I must admit.

My question asks the better mechanical choice. Your thoughts?

I believe the black van is a stock camper though the bike rake is a factory add on!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Without an extensive photo book of prep and pictures, a new paint job should be considered a temporary rust covering.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Exactly my concern for Option B (orange) as I have no history with the seller. Was the work done properly? Like you said, was the body properly prepped prior to painting? Was all of the mechanical work done handled right too?

With Option A (black), you know what you're getting with a low mileage vehicle despite the lack of service documentation.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

The orange one looks really "cool".

Maybe you can do some background search on the seller. Does he/she have any online accounts like forums or ebay that they're willing to share so you can get a feel for what kind of person they are?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Another (important) factor to consider is my wife's preference for the orange van solely on looks!!!
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

They both look great. Are they both manual tranmissions? That would be a huge factor for me.

That orange is sexy a f.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Yes, they are both manual.

Though I have discarded the orange one. I did not get the right vibes from the seller and there appeared to be a lot of modifications to the vehicle without documentation. I guess just a judgment call on my part.

Then the black van told me the "ice box" style refrigerator does not work. I can get a new one for $1500 direct from West Germany!! And also the A/C has stopped working which he said would be only a minor problem. Mmmmm ....

I'll keep you posted on my search.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Offer them their full asking price if they fix "the minor problem" with the A/C.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Offer them their full asking price if they fix "the minor problem" with the A/C.

Considering we haven't heard the full asking price, that might be risky as well.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

You don't see too many short nosed RF fenders with the gills on this side of the pond.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Quote:
And also the A/C has stopped working which he said would be only a minor problem.

That line should get an instant slap in the face...

Quote:
You don't see too many short nosed RF fenders with the gills on this side of the pond.

Standard with the VR6 I think? Everyone in our area has Gills.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Quote:

You must have missed the short nosed reference. Doesn’t apply th vr6 vans.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Quote:

You must have missed the short nosed reference. Doesn’t apply th vr6 vans.

Ah! I am a Pooh Bear of little brain
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice: Buy low mileage van or one with "donor" engine? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

When the short nose T4s transitioned from spot welded affixed front fenders to bolt on fenders they also added the grill intake. This is for the air box. Started in '96 and carried on through T4 production.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: