Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost brakes while driving.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost brakes while driving. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Yes, but better look for a VW machine shop. Retailers like Autozone and O'Reilly turn drums, but do not have the adapter for our VW drums for their newer equipment.

You seemed to have almost indirectly understood the point of my question then.
Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost brakes while driving. Reply with quote

This situation may send you to a shop that works on old Porsches, which of course ups the price greatly. Lots of expensive of wide-5 wheels with that crowd.

I found the mom & pop FLAPS are more likely top have the old equipment than the new chains.
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost brakes while driving. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Could you update with any response you got from the manufacturer of shoes and who that would be? Another recent post had a situation where their shoes came apart while driving and I'm rather curious if both situations are due to the same brand.

^I'm curious to this as well. I'm doing a complete brake system rebuild on my '66 and would like to avoid dying because of a brake failure Shocked Laughing
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost brakes while driving. Reply with quote

I had this same issue. The bonded brake pads failed completely. Our POP was a loud clank clank boom! Driver side pads failed in chunks and the passenger side came apart whole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They were AC Industries. I took them back to the parts store today and he was shocked.....apologized profusely and gave me new shoes on the spot. He also looked up when the batch was ordered and it was from March 2015, he had sold 80 sets with zero issues and had 19 left. He boxed up my failed shoes and intends to return to supplier.

Pretty scary. I replaced them this evening, readjusted with slight drag. I read this post earlier that the OP thinks he had them adjusted too tight. I might have had the same thing going on the driver side but the passenger side didn’t show any signs of overheating and did not explode like the driver side. Passenger side just slid off the shoes.

The Parts guy swore it wasn’t anything i did. They simply should not have failed like that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: