Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripped spark plug hole
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

I was doing a compression check while changing plugs and when i went to put the new plug in it was a no go. I looked online and see that NAPA sells a kit that cuts new threads and has an adapter for the plug. I don't really want to use a heli coil cause i don't want to drill i am pretty sure i can use the napa kit without pulling the motor. What yalls opinions? Here is a pic of the said hole.LOL
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

whether you drill or just use a tap, there's gonna be chips to clean out. Just coat the drill or the tap with grease to catch most of them and crank the engine over for a bit to blow the rest out.

brad
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

I've gone a step further and fire the motor a let it run on 3 cylinders. Leave the afflicted hole open. Yes, I said afflicted hole.

Timesert would be my pick.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

I agree Timeserts. The kit has a Tap. once the Timesert is in it usually will not come out if you force it in and use some Bearing Loc on the threads.

Just make sure you use some anti seize on the plug threads.

Buy a few extra, in case in the future if the insert comes out with the plug.

Which is no big deal!!!! Did many a Timesert. Some have pins the you hammer in place.. Just nice to have a spare to screw on the plug and go.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

To get the cuttings out of the cylinder just tape a straw to the the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner, prefer a straw for like a slurpee. Got to grease the drill bit and tap, best to use a tacky grease like Lucas "Red N Tacky" does not get flung off as easy as other greases, several other brands available in that style.

Ditto for Time-Sert, using a Helicoil on any engine should be a crime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Thanks guys i ran to NAPA and got the kit Worked great and super easy to do.
Cleaned the hole out and used red thread locker on the insert.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

I also have a NAPA solid threaded insert, on #2 of my 1835cc engine since 2007, see my thread here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217316&highlight=solid+threaded+insert

Some solid inserts are stronger than others. In my thread above, I used red Loctite on the outer threads of the insert after cleaning the threads in the head, and never-seize lubricant on the spark plug threads. And I torqued to specifications, and I can understand how some folks would be reluctant to fully torque these.

The best inserts are considered to be Time-Sert, but I didn't use those. Those require special tool to install, see http://www.aircooled.net
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

I just did this for someone using a timesert kit and it worked well. The kit contains the tap and the expansion tool for installing the sert then expands it to lock it in, I use red Loctite also. I picked up the kit for 14mm at the local parts store. I use grease on the tap and keep the piston near tdc, I then duct taped a small hose to my shop vac and sucked out as much as possible. Just make sure you are carefull with the tap at tdc so you don't hit the piston.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Timeserts are the best plug repair kit I ever used.
They are worth the money.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Just crank the motor over until the exhaust valve is open and blast it out with compressed air.
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
VW&MGman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used a Time Sert in a hi reving performance vw engine? It's a 9.1:1 compression ratio, 2165cc that I use for road racing.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the 14 mm thread chaser needs to be at a certain pitch or are they all the same? As I just picked up one at Advance Auto but want to be sure before I stick it in the hole . Thanks
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Yes, 1.25mm
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Thanks Busman that's the one I got from advance even though I found out it's about $10 cheaper at Home Depot I have on order I'll use if it's the same pitch.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

So I haven't tried to remedy my spark plug hole yet but have a thread chaser on order hoping that will help. But here's a few pictures of what's going on in my case to see what you think? Thanks

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

It might be possible to remove the helicoil and install a time-sert. The thread is the same.

It might also be possible to cut and remove the first 1-1.5 coils of that helicoil and get it to work, or replace it, but I don't think it could be done in the vehicle.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Is your most recent thread picture of the same hole as the first picture? I'm a little confused as to why threads showed up if you haven't tried to fix it yet. Razz

The more recent picture also looks like it has remnants of a heli-coil. Is that?

I used the 14mm Napa (not Time-Sert) repair kit in a driveway a few years ago. Got 60k more out of it before oil pressure issues retired the engine. Turn the engine over to the middle of the exhaust stroke for the offending cylinder, and rig an air compressor nozzle in the tailpipe to pair with the straw-tipped shop vacuum. I think I used a healthy amount of read thread locker on the insert, and anti-sieze on the plug.

Tap straight, with "good" pressure.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

I made it from Tallahassee to Jacksonville once using chewing gum wrappers to thread in my 66 Beetle plug! I would try to find a matching head for it and have it rebuilt or perhaps change both heads for new ones.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It might be possible to remove the helicoil and install a time-sert. The thread is the same.

It is possible to remove the helicoil and install a time-sert or a simple solid threaded insert. The thread is the same.

On my 1835cc engine where the head rebuilder had installed heli-coils at all four, one came out after 20 years and I installed a solid threaded insert, is holding up well.

Time Sert is considered the best but needs special tools to be rented, see aircooled.net
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped spark plug hole Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Time Sert is considered the best but needs special tools to be rented, see aircooled.net

Absolutely! My choice was between using the standard Napa insert, and making it home for Thanksgiving. I think good, careful work with a sub-quality part can often yield better results than someone not paying careful attention, in a dirty work environment with a better part. My two cents…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: