Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code?
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Everett, Is there any way to set up Classifieds Alerts to include searching by ZIP code?

We could leave out Distance/Country/Region/State/etc. to keep the queries simple, and just make it a singular (ZIP == 'xxxxx') match.

Having the ability to receive alerts for LOCAL postings would be a huge help for us users. Wink

Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

I could do that if there is interest but I don't think a strict single ZIP code would be useful for tons of people that live in heavily populated areas where there are lot of zip codes.

I'd probably do a listing like the keyword alert, e.g. you could enter a list:

Maybe this isn't super intuitive as you would have to research and enter all the zip codes around you.
It would be perfect if you only want your zip code.

Personally I have a bookmarked search for everything in Arizona, which is great for me in AZ and maybe would be good for you in Iowa too but probably not great for people in larger places like Southern California.
This is a search I can run at will though, not email alerts
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

I'd be 1000% happy with having to research and enter a list of ZIP codes manually, I was just trying to not ask for too much, to improve my chances of you implementing it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Actually, now that I think about it, a list of ZIP codes would be quite a bit better for me than a single ZIP, or even a ZIP+Distance. It would let me create combined searches for specific separated areas, such as my own city+suburbs, the cities my relatives live in, etc., all in one shot. It would actually be quite a powerful search capability! Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Ok, this should be working now

Check it out under your Alerts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks!!

I tried a test earlier, with maybe 50 semi-local zip codes I got from a radius mapping website. It seemed like there may be an issue though, as I was receiving alerts from Pennsylvania, the UK, etc. Think So I have temporarily dropped it down to a single zip code, and I will see if that works, then add more from there.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:
So I have temporarily dropped it down to a single zip code, and I will see if that works, then add more from there.

Nope, that didn't quite work. Sad
The next two alerts I received were both for parts from Canada...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

I looked at your account and you are also alerting on 10+ sections so are you sure it's not alerts from some of those sections?

Feel free to forward me the 2 alerts you got and I will check them out, if you think they were zip code alerts that did not work right
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Ah! Perhaps I am misunderstanding the search logic? Think

I had thought it would be:
(section OR keyword) AND (zip code)
... so that you could look for, say, pre-67 Beetles or split window Busses that are local to you.

If the logic is instead:
(section OR keyword OR zip code)
... then the email notifications I'm receiving would make sense... but I wouldn't necessarily think that the zip code search was as useful in that case, as you wouldn't be able to filter what you are looking for.... just a firehose of everything in those zip codes...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Yes, zip code is ANYTHING from the zip code(s)

The 3 options are all OR as you described.

To make it AND would be more complicated and probably not possible the way it works now.
Reason:
The system sends the emails instantly when an ad is submitted so it has to be ultra fast.
Doing a search of who is watching the zip code used in the ad is ultra fast.
Combining it with other things is not.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Got it, thanks. Ok, so I have switched my search to an exclusively ZIP-based search (no categories, no keywords), and I'll see how that goes. Smile

And just to make sure I'm understanding another aspect- Is it correct that each user gets one singular "alert" to configure, not multiples?

So for example, me using this ZIP-based search means that that's it for me, I can't also create a second search that looks for something else (say a few specific keywords) worldwide?

Thanks again for the help.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Correct, there is only ONE sets of alerts.

You can't make one for zips and one for something else.
There are no indicators either - you simply get an alert and you don't know if it was from a section you are watching OR a keyword OR a zip code, if you set all 3 things.

It's pretty simplistic overall at this time.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Looks like it is working! Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds Alerts by ZIP Code? Reply with quote

Thanks for checking it out and the suggestion
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: