Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Install a clutch how to
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

How much work is it to install a new clutch? It’s easier than you think.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s basic setup, input shaft, the disc and the pressure plate itself, yes you’ll need a few basic hand tools as well.

Clutch goes in this way. At this point I’d insert the line up shaft, you’ll feel it catch the splines on the disc then bottom out in the gland nut.

Now the pressure plate is on and all six bolts and washers are installed finger tight.

I like using this speed handle with a 13mm socket and using a crisscross pattern pull them down evenly.

Torque to 18 ft lbs.

Now just to check take the line up tool out and reinsert checking that it engages splines and plugs into the gland nut. Good now go have dinner or something. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Not shown but I did use a flywheel lock otherwise engine will turn as you try to tighten bolts, whooooops.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Hummm...aren't you going to grease the pilot bearing 1st?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Would it be better to do it now and let it attract dirt or just before it gets installed into the car? Either way and it probably doesn’t matter but remembering is a good thing because I’ve heard them squeal because of no lube. Wheel bearing grease should work yes.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Another thing. I’ve found that the edges of the pressure plate will not line up perfectly when tightening. The edge will slip down just a tad at the bottom. I hit it (the pressure plate) from the bottom a few whacks to center it.

A novice might not notice this and have problems later.

I also, first, clean the crap out of the inner surface of the flywheel, using brake cleaning fluid in a spray can.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

A lot of good that fancy new clutch is gonna do ya, yer motor ain't gonna run fer crap with no pistons in it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Also use press plate specific bolts which are harder than the normal M8. And don't forget the spring washers.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

I prefer the spring loaded clutch discs. So much smoother when engaging the clutch.

It might be worth mentioning to mark the pressure plate and flywheel together before removing the pressure plate. If you're reusing the pressure plate and only replacing the clutch disc, it's good practice. Lots of builders balance the pressure plate and flywheel together.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Zund, excellent write up. This is something that gets written about every other day.

1.) Be sure to clean the contact surfaces with brake cleaner and a rag, before installing the clutch parts.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Zund, excellent write up. This is something that gets written about every other day.

Indeed.
It would take 6,000 words to describe what Jim's 6 photos did.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Indeed.
It would take 6,000 words to describe what Jim's 6 photos did.

Added to the FAQS / Sticky in the engine forum.

Thanks Jim.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

And of course for those of you that don’t have spare transmission input shafts laying around, pretty much every vendor sells a clutch alignment tool for a couple measly bucks.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Glad you are using a Rigid disc. Count the number of rivets that transfer torque. Now on the spring style disc count the count the number rivets transferring power. Agreed the spring style is smoother but the rigid is stronger. Having a input shaft to align things is the best if you have one.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I prefer the spring loaded clutch discs. So much smoother when engaging the clutch.

gt1953 wrote:
Glad you are using a Rigid disc. Count the number of rivets that transfer torque. Now on the spring style disc count the count the number rivets transferring power. Agreed the spring style is smoother but the rigid is stronger. Having a input shaft to align things is the best if you have one.

To be perfectly honest, I can't remember the last time i even installed a sprung disc. I actually prefer the feel of a solid, and they seem to hold up better over time.

Also, speaking of solid discs, I really liked the ACE copperhead/KEP stage 1 Plate combo on my 1835 Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Agreed... sprung disc are for people that can't shift.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Agreed... sprung disc are for people that can't shift.

I use spring discs in my 2 VWs, one has 1835cc engine. I have 5 manual transmission vehicles, so I think I can shift OK.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

while clutch is serviced, it is good time to check flywheel endplay.

And yes, degrease all the metal contact surfaces on pressure plate and flywheel!

Lockwahsers are what I use under the clutch bolts.

Also good time to check throw out bearing, and check for oil leaks on both tranny and motor. Also good to lube starter shaft bushing, and a tad of grease on gear surfaces and clutch arm shaft.. also make sure boot on end of clutch cable bowden tube is intact to keep contamination out.

Bug On, Shifty Smoothly!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Install a clutch how to Reply with quote

Or ... we could just go back to crashboxes and double clutching.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: