Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight switch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Headlight switch Reply with quote

I had the headlight switch out of my 82 Westy and it looks like there's a spot for a bulb to illuminate it. If so the bulb is missing on mine would it be available?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

Lighted switch is not standard.

DIY from the archives:

syncrodoka wrote:
I should tell you how I got the illuminated headlight mod to work since you ordered a LED for that. I bought a switch from VolksCafe that has a opaque panel behind the switch icon to replace my other switch that has a black panel behind the icon. Look into the hole in the back and you will understand what I am talking about
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are no contacts for the bulb on the stock switch plug so they have to be scavenged from another car. I have gotten them from porsche and scirroco switch plugs in the past. The contacts are small and difficult to extract sometimes. I usually cut them out with my dremel tool but a small screwdriver can be inserted to push in the clip that holds it in place for it to be removed. Insert the screwdriver and push out the connector in the same direction.

Once it is removed you will see that the small tang that locks it in place will need to be bent out again to lock the connector in place in the switch plug. There are 2 that need to be removed and reinstalled with a click into the vanagon switch

One leg will be power and the other is ground. I pulled the power from a grey/blue wire on the switch that had power only when the dash lights are lit. The ground was attached to a brown wire that is a ground

The switch plug as it looks finished ready for a led.

If the led does not light simply take it out and rotate it 180 degrees as they have a polarity unlike standard bulbs. I used a #74W and I am happy with its intensity- not too bright at all

From most of the way down this page (2009... Shocked Wink ): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=80

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch Reply with quote

It's interesting that when looking at the back of the switch and pushing on the rocker the contacts slide over to make contact. Mechanical rather than just tapping off the output wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: