Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

guys I have the standard universal blinker with the clamp and lights on it.all my lights work great.BUT when I ground the blinker bar(system)so that my green turn indicator and red light works on it,the red light between the 2 turn signal lights starts blinking???...if I unhook the ground wire grounding the blinker bar, then the turn indicators wont light up.but everything works fine.IN other words for the little green turn indicator lights on the blinker bar to work(really not needed) I have to ground the unit.OK.BUT when I ground the unit they work but the red light between the turn indicators blinks when the turn signals are NOT on.i have unhooked and re grounded and re wired everything????..head scratcher.i don't need to ground the blinker bar.but its annoying knowing somethings wrong.i did also replace the universal blinker bar.that wasn't it.sorry so confusing.hard to explain this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

I do have an led light on my headlight housing,its used as a marker light and a blinker.only thing I can think is the led light has something to do with it???
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

62Kellison,

I have the same issue LED lights, generic signal unit and electronic two prong flasher relay.

Either I can have:

1. the indicator on the turn signal unit flashing with both taillights - all the time or

2. unhook the blue wire, have no indication at the unit, but the signals work as they are supposed to.

This unit appears to be made for three prong flashers, but I have the same two prong flasher in the picture.

Does this make sense?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Generally the two prong flasher and three prong flasher have same flash feature...

Generally the output for indicator light (P) of three prong is directly connected to the flasher output (L) for actually flashing lamps...

This is for old style thermal flasher...

The problem the you are experiencing may be from how switch is actually wired.... Most has to do how rear lights are wired.... Except for bottom sketch where you need to modify input to lamp with blocking diode...

Yes TS switch housing has to be grounded for indicator lamp to function...

This mod below may help...

Keep in mind wire colors may not be same, colors may depend on which factory in CHINA switch came from...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

heywebonya ,yes I get what u are saying.mine came with a 3 prong flasher but I still have that problem.i need a separate ground going to the unit for the little indicators to work(because my column isn't grounded) but if I do that the red light on the unit blinks all the time.but the indicator lights will blink when signal is turned on.i can unhook one of the wires(blue I think) and then the indicators wont work like yours.I just been running it without the ground wire.its just annoying knowing it should work but doesn't.the lights dont help anyways. I still leave my damn blinker on all the time.lol
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

thanks dale didn't see your post.i will see how mine is wired compared to your diagram.i did try it a FEW different ways at the tails.putting brakes on single filament bulb,then trying it all the opposite way.i was still the same.but I will try your schematics.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
thanks dale didn't see your post.i will see how mine is wired compared to your diagram.i did try it a FEW different ways at the tails.putting brakes on single filament bulb,then trying it all the opposite way.i was still the same.but I will try your schematics.

Think adding diode will be your solution...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Dale I think that's what is needed!.the diode stopping the red indicator light from blinking. in the off position.so what it must be like backfeeding? the system WITHOUT that diode?.and what diode do I buy Dale?.if u know.thank you!.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Used to recommend a particular diode from Radio Shack, but they seem to be no more.... If you are hunting diode locally I would suggest you head to nearest place that installs auto stereos and car alarms and ask for a "blocking diode" usually something that will handle 1 to 5 amps at a voltage of about 50 volts or more...

Many large electronics suppliers online that can provide a diode, but wading through all the data to select a particular diode is a nightmare then there is the $5-8 shipping for a $1 part...

Might try this, diode will work, but shipping may be deal breaker...

https://www.radioshack.com/products/200a-barrel-diodes

Dale

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

thanks Dale.my local radio shack closed last summer.loved that place.shippings only 3 bucks.and if u get 19 bucks worth of stuff its free shipping.thanks for the info and link!!.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Dale,

Thanks for the help! The information on the diode is a great help. Appreciate it. (could a LED be used too?)

Best regards, Jeff
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Dale,

Thanks for the help! The information on the diode is a great help. Appreciate it. (could a LED be used too?)

Best regards, Jeff

Never thought about it, but probably yes but it may be on all the time and blink when signals activated, which is probably not what you want.... Try it and let us know....

Dale

GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Radio Shacks are kaput around Baltimore metro area too. I've had good luck finding discrete electronics on Amazon. With Prime, usually get free shipping too. The mom & pop electronics shops seem to have gone extinct.
Jeff
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

I found 6 amp diodes a ten pack on ebay for 3.39 free shipping.be here in 3 days.i will keep u guys posted on how it works with led parking lights on my headlights.its a shame I cant run down the street and buy them anymore.all our little stores closed,even radio shack. Thanx Sean...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

GS guy ,that amazon prime is nice,love the free shipping!!..and I like my firestick!.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

heywebonya,i got my diodes yesterday in the mail.i am going to garage today after work.will keep u guys posted if it works.if it does ill send u 1 if u still need one.i got a ten pack.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

it did NOT work.very strange.i tried a diode on every wire.and then on all of them just for the hell of it.no matter where I put a diode, when u ground the blinker switch the red light between the 2 blinkers will blink while blinkers are off.it may be that I need a Flasher for LED lights.i have just 1 LED on top of each headlight housing for my front blinker and parking light.i also did different wiring like dales diagrams.No go.very weird.i will order an LED flasher see if that works.i don't kneed the blinker switch lights to work,all the blinkers work fine.Its just annoying that they wont work right. Sean
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

I gotta ask because it's weird.... IS polarity of diode correct?

Dale

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Sean...make the drive to my place and part of that deal we talked about is a gorgeous, stock steering column with a factor turn signal switch..the old style.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: