Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Dale M.,if u mean do I have it in the right direction yes.when I face them in the other direction nothing works.Obviously they r made to work one way.I did try both ways because until u try u don't know which end is what.IF that's what u meant Dale.very confused on how its backfeeding with a diode.that one blue wire is what lights up the lights on the switch.I was very surprised when I hooked it up with a diode and the damn red light started blinking.then I put a diode on each wire involved in the whole system one by one.then I installed a diode on all of them at once.(I got a 12 pack of diodes).then I tried all the different wiring combinations like in your charts(with and without diodes).nothing worked.i don't think I missed anything I spent 2 days screwing with it.i can wire apartments,my rc planes,i have testers I use, etc, so I do have a basic understanding of electrical.but limited.so I don't think I missed anything??...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

I did make sure every one I used I marked so it was facing in the proper direction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

jspbtown ,I been so busy but u are right I really need to do that.i been working a lot and my wife been working 3 part time jobs(the woman loves to work) so our schedules been hectic.if I am home I got the kids etc.if that offers still open next week I am going to have to drive down and see u.i just need to schedule a day.your not far from me..
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Dont understand why its so weird.... Indicator lamp only responds to what is on blue wire, if it has 12 volts it lights, no 12 volts, does not light....

Dissected broken one I have, blue wire goes to base of bulb, shell of bulb is grounded through switch body...

What ever is applied to blue wire controls bulb (voltage/no voltage)...

Issue may be with flasher and how it energises the pilot lamp circuit...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Dale I did the same thing,as I have 2 now because I thought the first one had a short because of this issue.The head light I have says this "Clear lens marker light features a 5 led panel with a dual circuit function. One circuit will function as a low brightness output with the second circuit having a high brightness output. This allows for the marker light to be used for both the running/marker light and for the turn signals as needed." if I hook it up backwards it doesn't work.one is bright and one is dim(for marker light).maybe I need an led flasher OR maybe a dummy load resistor?? Dale?.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
Dale I did the same thing,as I have 2 now because I thought the first one had a short because of this issue.The head light I have says this "Clear lens marker light features a 5 led panel with a dual circuit function. One circuit will function as a low brightness output with the second circuit having a high brightness output. This allows for the marker light to be used for both the running/marker light and for the turn signals as needed." if I hook it up backwards it doesn't work.one is bright and one is dim(for marker light).maybe I need an led flasher OR maybe a dummy load resistor?? Dale?.

HUH?..... Have not see that beast.... Got a link to it...

LEDs sometimes need flashers designed to operate with leds... And there is possibly at least dozen to choose from.... I use A TRIDON EL13 for my application and it seems to work... I guess one may need a flasher that has internal timing circuit instead of older style thermal timing...

I have mix of LED on rear and incandescent on front and use a TRIDON EL13 flasher, and it works ok.... BUT that may change for me as I am doing a upgrade on front turnsignal lamps and don't know how flasher will respond....

The EL13 requires about 1/2 amp current draw through it (through bulbs/leds) to make it operate, and with new bulbs I'm not sure what going to happen... Will find out as soon as the delivery arrives....

Other solution may be load resistor... Have not had to venture there, and it's been thrown out there as idea to solve problem several times, but I have not had any feedback on it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Guide-682-C-Style-12-Volt-Headlight-Black,8929.html
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

Dale those r the lights I am running.a little pricey if u ask me.but they r really nice and heavy duty.i got them with the buggy from previous owner.they were still wrapped up never installed.they sell them apiece!!.and they don't include the led light or bulb I believe!!.crazy..but like I said, I like them a lot.love the look.the flasher stuff is where my knowledge ends.still learning.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Guide-682-C-Style-12-Volt-Headlight-Black,8929.html

Cool....

Now to get it to work....

Dale

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

I found this under the led light u buy for the headlight seperately,the LED plugs into any standard 1157 socket..."1, Will this require a resister be installed in the line before the pigtail or does the unit already have resisters built in? 2, I plan to use 2 of these as my front running/directional lights, my taillights are NOT "LED" will that combination cause a problem ? and will I need to install an LED flasher? "Thanks For Your Help
Asked by Hondadon87 3 years ago

Add your answer

Verified Reply - Zach
There is no resistor built into these, so you would likely want to run a resistor with these. I would recommend LED load equalizers rather than LED flashers.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Replacement-LED-Bulb-For-Guide-682-C-Headlight,64065.html
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: universal blinker bar, red light blinks when units grounded?? Reply with quote

lol ill buy more parts and keep everyone updated.i hope your upgrade works out DALE..i would like all LED,s myself..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: