Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first project
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markokg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: My first project Reply with quote

Hello,
this is my first project and so i am full of questions for you.
My KG is a convertible 1960 US specification and I would like to restore it as it came from the store.
Since it was not the original engine I would like to mount this real one, because the production date is 31.5.1960 I don't know what to consider, like the year 1960, which is taken into account only from August 1 onwards or the year 1959?
The same goes for basically all the equipment because I miss it a lot.
I also have an upholstery dilemma, I got two different color variants and I don’t know which one would be the right one.
Does anyone have a windshield water tank, mine was located on the left side next to the fuel tank?
Does anyone have to sell both exterior hooks and front turn signals complete with glass panes or at least one glass, I have one.
But I leave a few questions for next time.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: My first project Reply with quote

Hi,
Welcome.
Have a look through the classifieds for the parts you’re looking for and look through the technical section for paint and upholstery.
You can also get your Ghia’s birth certificate from VW which will tell you what trim options it left the factory with.
I have a ‘70 so I’m not much help but someone else will chime in soon.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: My first project Reply with quote

Welcome here !

A 60 ghia is a very special model with a lot of « one year only » parts.. what makes it really interesting but hard to restore Very Happy For example the windshield water tank is extremely hard to find!
If you want more infos about the model, a lot is available in my restoration thread. Please feel free to ask any question, would be a pleasure to help if I can !

Cheers

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
markokg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My first project Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, I have a certificate where it says only red seat covers, but not for door trims, buttons, ....
I also need information or pictures of what the cabin heating system was like, because I had a 1500 cc engine installed, most likely also the exhaust and the heating system was wrong.
I would also mount new headlights, the original (sealed beam) I would store and mount a regular parabola.
The certificate states, among other things, M355 US equipment:
Hazard warning system?
Without flasher?
Ram protection?
I also read somewhere what the colors are of the seat frame and I can't find the handbrake anymore, does anyone have an idea where I could get this information again?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My first project Reply with quote

markokg wrote:
Thanks for the answer, I have a certificate where it says only red seat covers, but not for door trims, buttons, ....
I also need information or pictures of what the cabin heating system was like, because I had a 1500 cc engine installed, most likely also the exhaust and the heating system was wrong.
I would also mount new headlights, the original (sealed beam) I would store and mount a regular parabola.
The certificate states, among other things, M355 US equipment:
Hazard warning system?
Without flasher?
Ram protection?
I also read somewhere what the colors are of the seat frame and I can't find the handbrake anymore, does anyone have an idea where I could get this information again?

1960 has a lot of one year items.
It should have ivory knobs, white steering wheel, bulkhead rubber mats and floor mats, two tone lowlight style door panels, seats I think were single color pleated vinyl in the US, no hazard lights, ram protection are bumpers with over riders, white seat frames, handbrake, steering column...info should be on this site.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
markokg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: My first project Reply with quote

Great, you helped me a lot or confirmed the suspicions.
The certificate also says leatherette to me, is it real leather (I doubt it) or artificial because I don’t know English well enough to understand which one is right.
In your experience where can I get the most accurate upholstery, door and side panels, top, inner top bedding, ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: