Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Starting a new subject. The Ghia I own has some supposedly rare wheels on it that most people do not like. I was told that a set of new wheels would pop it out and make it more desirable. The car has Sway-away on the rear and adjustable front. It has been lowered a lot. Other than choosing a good wheel what size tire, width wise would be recommended? There is not too much wiggle room under there are far as width is concerned. I would look much better with a slightly wider wheel in the rear. Think the current wheels are Woolfberg (sp) aluminum mostly solid. Give me some input on this even what you might think would look good. Thanks for all the info in the latch, open now and working on it. G
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Look in the Ghia section. There is a sticky thread devoted to wheels and suspension. And if you do a search in that section there are TONS of threads about all that you are asking.

brad
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

thanks Brad. Got another question you can help with surely. Tried everywhere but gonna ask you. Ghia has been in storage for a while and the brake reservoir went dry. Has two chambers and while adding more fluid noticed the other side was still empty. When does or how does it bet fluid. I hope it has a slot at the top for do not want a mess there. I just plain forgot and I installed it the last time. thanks
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Pick out & buy your wheels first & then go on to engineer your desired stance & tires. Good place for ideas in this thread below.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247735
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

The Karmann Ghia correct wheel offset is 46mm for the four bolt wheels. Same as the type 3.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

phil tells us he has some rare aluminum wheels, but doesn't post a picture of them for us to identify them. I have 185X60 & 205X70 on my lowered square. 2.0 Liter 914 Porsche wheels are 5'5"X15" & work well because they have a flat face ET40.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

gphilflier wrote:
thanks Brad. Got another question you can help with surely. Tried everywhere but gonna ask you. Ghia has been in storage for a while and the brake reservoir went dry. Has two chambers and while adding more fluid noticed the other side was still empty. When does or how does it bet fluid. I hope it has a slot at the top for do not want a mess there. I just plain forgot and I installed it the last time. thanks

Just keep pouring fluid in. there is a slot near the top of the divider that will let fluid into the other reservoir once the one for the other is near full.

brad
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks, Brad, got it done now to bleed the brakes. First, the master cylinder was frozen but pecked on it a little and it broke loose. Just hope the seals are not gone New master cyl etc, only the old part is the fixed lines all the rest are new. but sitting for a while does nothing well. All was working fine but heat and such took the toll. How the heck anyone adjust the cable pull on the front hood is a mystery to me. I guess hold together with some needle nose vise grips and turn the lock screw with pliers. The screw head faces up and how one would get a screwdriver to it is like I say a mystery. What it is all about I guess tinkering on an old car... lol
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Hey guys, I will post some pictures of the Ghia soon as I learn how. lol I will probably post on photo bucket or something. But that too is a chore for an old guy like me but I will figure it out. Thanks for all the input and apologize for all the not knowing how things. Where is my grandson when I need him. Gary
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Have a picture in the gallery of my purple Ghia and going to try and get it here. No luck so far. A learning process for me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shows the above but no picture Lost.
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

I managed and did not know lol So there she is and getting it back on the road after a long storage after this was posted.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

gphilflier wrote:
Starting a new subject. The Ghia I own has some supposedly rare wheels on it that most people do not like. I was told that a set of new wheels would pop it out and make it more desirable. The car has Sway-away on the rear and adjustable front. It has been lowered a lot. Other than choosing a good wheel what size tire, width wise would be recommended? There is not too much wiggle room under there are far as width is concerned. I would look much better with a slightly wider wheel in the rear. Think the current wheels are Woolfberg (sp) aluminum mostly solid. Give me some input on this even what you might think would look good. Thanks for all the info in the latch, open now and working on it. G

You really can’t choose tires without the wheels.
I like the wheels you have and offered to buy a set from someone else on here but went with gas burners as I got o response.
If you want them to pop I would polish them or polish the bare metal parts and paint the rest to match the car color.

What part of GA are you in?
I’m a little north of Atlanta.
Maybe we can have weekend play sessions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Superior Industry Formula V wheels, but we call them Turtlebacks for their shape. They do look good polished out IMO but lots of them are painted.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+turtleback+whee...fox-b-1-ab
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Thought never crossed my mind to color match with the car but bet that would look nice. Thanks, need to tosss that thought around. I repainted them myself and quite a hassle to tape. I saw one other set in Marietta ,a at a car show and they were polished. Fella wanted a big price. Rare, probably not but researching I think only 2500 sets were made and went to Ca. I was looking t some Sprintstar wheels. One feature I do not like on the turtleback is the way they go on. Just bolts and no lugs on the hub.
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Jeffery, just saw your question about ny location. I am in Commerce ,Ga.
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Have a 2110cc engine with a larger oil sump and external oil cooler. The cooler is over the transaxle and with the lines after it sits for a while the sump shows over full. Now normally add extra with a new filter etc. I was wondering if it is fine to just let it be a little over full. If I did not allow for the extra going to the external cooler, then it would run somewhat low. Thoughts on this and thanks. Gary
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

I’m building a 2276 for mine and never really thought about leak down from the cooler. Maybe there is a one way valve that could be put in line to prevent that. Or maybe it’s a non issue?
Maybe ask that in the performance engine thread. Surely it has come up before. I suppose as long as it doesn’t pool enough to flood the cylinders there shouldn’t be a problem.
I’m on the other side of the mountain in Canton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gphilflier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering columns and wheels for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

I have an expensive steering wheel, wood that I thought would fit a 74 but no Seems they changed in 74. Is there an adaptor that can be used so the new wheel will bolt down etc. Needs a bearing too. Gary aka gphil
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel sizes and widths for 74 Ghia Reply with quote

Ask questions like this in the Ghia section. this section is for wheels amd tires.

But yes there is different adapters.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: