Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are Vanagons like tattoos: Now Jasper’s build thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Are Vanagons like tattoos: Now Jasper’s build thread Reply with quote

So I remember, some time ago now, I got my first Tat.
Have a close friend that has sleeves and chest done, so lots of tats.
He thought mine was super cool but gave me a stern warning.
"Owen" he says, "I gotta warn you dude. Tattoos are addictive. You rarely get only one."
"What? You're nuts dude. This one is good."
That was three ago, and I only have four, but am planning another, which is tangential to the reason for this thread.

Found a deal I just couldn't pass up.
Lowe balled him and he was happy to accept.
Sorta feel bad but, well I'm buying it sight unseen.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1354863240&requestSource=b

Now I gotta figure out how to get it home. Owner, young kid, says the oil pours out of the back when he fires it up. "Clean oil too" he added.
Thought?
He said it happened when he started it during the winter, "it was super cold out dude. Like cold man."

Oil filter split from pressure?
Oil bypass?
Its stock 1.9 water boxer.
I'll post more picture when I'm done my next class.
Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WonderinMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

As someone who is covered with tattoos, from neckline to my toes, from my Navy days and just owning his first van this year, the thought of vans like my tattoos means I will be a very very very VERY broke, but happy might I add, person Dancing

Sooooo (air)cooooool(ed)!

Priors:
|'97 Getta - SCCA-raced|
|'62 Splitty Bus|
|'68 Beetle|

Last edited by WonderinMan on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Super thick cold oil pushed out the gasket on the cooler. It is a thing.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

X2. Nice score. Hopefully the rust is minimal.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

That van is super sweet.

Regarding multiple vans - this didn't cross my mind until my first VW van meet. My friend Josh (Herr Motorspiele) said- "Yup having multiple vans is definitely a thing.

I want a syncro high top for sure one day. MAYBE a sprinter.

OP, awesome find.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Huh, nice. I'd be guessing something like the oil pump cover cracked, which might be hard to see. Isn't it under the pulley?

Back when it was a 'cool idea' to put a larger oil pump in a 1600 AC, I did that with the added oil filter that passed out to the side a bit.. Anyway, just like that kid had happen, it was super cold one night, and I had to run for a case of long necks... well, started it and heard a POP, then a whistling noise and the oil light stayed on longer than usual... I killed the engine and looked around under and behind, yup, oil all over the ground. The high volume pump had overwhelmed the oil filter, blowing it apart at the seam. My housemates had come running out to the porch to see what that noise was. No case was easily had that night Sad One of my pals suggested there could have been some water vapor in the oil which may have frozen the filter. I think it may have just been -40 deg and 20W50 oil. (Yes, I was crazy enough to drive a beetle in that cold. Sometimes over long distances, back then, you could find AC heat exchangers for under $80)

If you're lucky, it'll be a blown filter, and the kid will have killed the engine prior to much damage.

Good luck!
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Huh, nice. I'd be guessing something like the oil pump cover cracked, which might be hard to see. Isn't it under the pulley?

Kid didn't say. All he told me is he turned it off right away and parked it.

dobryan wrote:

Hope so, that would be great.
(eidt: meaning its something that's pretty in expensive to repair.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi

Last edited by 9.5isCanadian on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

O-ring between oil cooler and engine.

(cold morning startup)

p.s. Nice score!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Hmm Ok so being I'm a A/C guy, and no WBX wrench time (though I sense that's about the change soon. Real soon) is the oil cooler in a similar location and similar accessibility?

Is this something that a person could do on the side of the road before leaving? I know in my air cooled van, its quite a removal process and takes most of the day but, do-able.
I'm just weighing options.
Right now, U-haul dolly and disconnecting the cv joints and towing it is my other option.

300 miles one way.

The consensus seems to be:
Oil filter split
Oil filter mount split
oil pump cover split
oil cooler O-ring popped out
Oil cooler split.

Seem about right?

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
O-ring between oil cooler and engine.

(cold morning startup)

p.s. Nice score!

Was this an "Oh crap, that's done. Now I gotta replace parts." issue or an Oh crap that was dumb, better wait until is warmer and add oil issue.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

It was "oh crap, thank goodness that didn't happen yesterday when we were miles from home in a blizzard" kind of thing. Shocked Lost all the oil.

I'm not 100% certain about whether the 1.9 is the same as the later 2.0 I had, but the oil cooler is accessible laying on the ground. (driver's side rear) however, the small hoses that attach to the oil cooler can be a pain to undo but no reason you can't fix in place.
Do you have the Bentley?

I would buy the O-ring and maybe also the oil cooler (fairly cheap) along with the filter. And on second thought maybe the small hoses too in case one of those split. You can always return if you don't need.
The O-ring between the cooler and case letting go is fairly common in very cold weather.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Ok
Thanks everybody for the insight to the oil issue.
I’ve decided that for the $100 to rent a wheel dolly from U-haul, I’m gunna be safe and tow it.

Road trip!

My daughter and I will roll out Saturday after work.
Drive through the night from Kelowna to Jasper.

Stay tuned for the adventure!

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

As suggested, if you end up replacing the oil cooler I would definitely replace all of those small hoses that attach to it while you have access.
Some people call him Maurice...
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
As suggested, if you end up replacing the oil cooler I would definitely replace all of those small hoses that attach to it while you have access.

For sure. When get it home the restoration will begin.

Cool

Competition for my attention for my Sunroof Vanagon

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

I really, badly want one of those tops, coincidentally because I think one would be perfect on top of my Syncro for a long trip to Jasper.

Congrats on the new van!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Just FYI, here's a thread about pulling the cooler.
If all you're doing is replacing the O-ring you can do that without losing coolant, but if the hoses need changing or replacing the cooler then it gets a bit harder.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530138&highlight=oil+cooler

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Subscribed!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

I don't have any tattoos but multiple vanagons. I have a 1980 and a1982. The 80 is aircooled and the 82 is a diesel. Oh yea I do have a body full of scars does that count?
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Just FYI, here's a thread about pulling the cooler.
If all you're doing is replacing the O-ring you can do that without losing coolant, but if the hoses need changing or replacing the cooler then it gets a bit harder.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530138&highlight=oil+cooler

Wow thanks for the thread link.
Now I’m back to reconsidering the tow.
See I could blaze there in my Golf TDI for 1/3 of what my Ram 1500 would cost and it would be exciting to drive it home.
Darn, I wish the seller had a little more knowledge…
All he said is it was “dumping oil as soon as I start it up. Clean oil.”
So he’s aware enough to recognize clean oil but that in itself isn’t a clue that can answer where it’s coming from.
I’d hate to drop cake to drive the gas hog all that way to replace an o-ring and that’s it.

Who am I kidding. There’s no where I’d be able to get this part locally, tomorrow.
That’s what I’ll do, let fate decide. I’ll call my local Lordco and if I can get the parts, I’ll drive it back.
Otherwise, I’ll dispatch the Tow Pig.

Ok. Look someone remind me, later when I’m belly ache’n about work’n on another van, that this was my idea.

Good times ahead.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Cool van. Good luck. It's a thing, my first foray into bay windows resulted in 6 vans. Me " Ya I want to buy that blue one with the bashed back corner." Junkyard owner " Ok 700 bucks, but you gotta take all 6 vans!"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: