Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are Vanagons like tattoos: Now Jasper’s build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Cool van. Good luck. It's a thing, my first foray into bay windows resulted in 6 vans. Me " Ya I want to buy that blue one with the bashed back corner." Junkyard owner " Ok 700 bucks, but you gotta take all 6 vans!"

Nice.
Now that would be a riot.
Surprises around every corner while you explored your new found bounty.
I love stories like that. I’ve seen lots of opportunities on various classified sites and always hesitated.
This time, I’m throwing caution to the wind.
I’ve wanted a High Top for long enough and I was tired of sitting on the fence.

Asked the seller to send me a pic of the engine.
Here’s what he sent.
Counting pullers, I’m thinking A/C and power steering?
Question

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“She ain’t pretty, she just looks that way.”

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

I don’t see AC. It would be up above the water pump on left side (on 2.1 anyway). Not sure about 1.9. Probably the same. There would be 1 more belt (for a total of 3) I think if you have A/C.

However, freaking score regardless! Awesome van!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
alaskadan wrote:
Cool van. Good luck. It's a thing, my first foray into bay windows resulted in 6 vans. Me " Ya I want to buy that blue one with the bashed back corner." Junkyard owner " Ok 700 bucks, but you gotta take all 6 vans!"

Nice.
Now that would be a riot.
Surprises around every corner while you explored your new found bounty.
I love stories like that. I’ve seen lots of opportunities on various classified sites and always hesitated.
This time, I’m throwing caution to the wind.
I’ve wanted a High Top for long enough and I was tired of sitting on the fence.

Asked the seller to send me a pic of the engine.
Here’s what he sent.
Counting pullers, I’m thinking A/C and power steering?
Question

“She ain’t pretty, she just looks that way.”

No A/C. From left to right, water pump, crank, alt, power steering. The pic is a little dirty but that looks like a 2.1 to me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

For sure a 2.1 engine setup.

The oil leak is slightly to the left and behind the water pump pulley (far left)

It is a gamble to drive there planning to fix it and drive it home.

You don't know if it will run or if damage was done running with a huge oil loss.

I would advise that you take your gas hog and tow the thing home making only one trip.
The Van is only going to give you 14mpg's anyway when you drive it home.

Get it home and discover the Vans problems in the comfort of your own work space, not on the edge of a highway without tools or parts.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

I was under the impression that tats are permanent. Vans are temporary. Ive got no tats and now only one van. I had a couple.

Tow it and play it safe.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Looks a lot like an 87 with 2.1 Digifant. Same oil cooler o-ring as just about every VW from the 80s and 90s so you should find one easily.

Mark
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Almost any VW dealer will have that Oil Cooler ORing in stock. They are used on multiple years and models..... maybe even current models??

VW has upgraded the seal several times, your best seal may be sitting on the shelf of your local VW dealership.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

If he was asking 2K and you "lowballed" him then it sounds like you stole it. (in a good way). Score!

Yea, with that much oil it's best to tow it and be able take your time sorting it out.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
. <snip>I would advise that you take your gas hog and tow the thing home making only one trip. The Van is only going to give you 14mpg's anyway when you drive it home.

Get it home and discover the Vans problems in the comfort of your own work space, not on the edge of a highway without tools or parts.

Dave

AZ Landshaper wrote:
I was under the impression that tats are permanent. Vans are temporary. Ive got no tats and now only one van. I had a couple.

Tow it and play it safe.

Wait.
What about that adventurous spirit? All these books I’ve read, Saving Charlotte, Westy Tales, Drive Nacho Drive? The authors all jumped in their trusty steeds, site unseen, and roared over the horizon, exuding that Lewis & Clark spirit.

I know, I know, I’m not that guy. Caution to the wind and all that…
Gas Hog it is.
I always tell my students, “it’s important to know what you know but, even more important to know what you don't.”

candyman wrote:
No A/C. From left to right, water pump, crank, alt, power steering. The pic is a little dirty but that looks like a 2.1 to me

Ha, I’m showing my a/c background. Water pump didn’t even register on the radar. Thanks.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

visibleink wrote:
If he was asking 2K and you "lowballed" him then it sounds like you stole it. (in a good way). Score!

Yea, with that much oil it's best to tow it and be able take your time sorting it out.

Yeah, I did and to be honest, I feel a little guilty. I’m certainly not made of money but I could have afforded the original asking price.

I decided that when I get there, should there be no surprises, (and he’s as nice a guys as he sounded on the phone) I’m gunna give him a few more bucks.
I’m a firm believer in Good Karma and all that.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:

Ok. Look someone remind me, later when I’m belly ache’n about work’n on another van, that this was my idea.

Ha! I know that feeling all too well. Especially when I'm driving the one that runs to go get parts for the one that doesn't. Smile

I saw on a Youtube video (yeah, I know) where a guy changed out the oil cooler seal on a Jetta with the rubber seal from an oil filter. It's probably not recommended, but might do in a pinch.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Well, I wasn't that guy.
I towed it home and it didn't roll again for three years after I went through the entire vehicle and set it right.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Well, I wasn't that guy.
I towed it home and it didn't roll again for three years after I went through the entire vehicle and set it right.

Dave

So just dropped the Gas Hog off at my Buddies shop. He's going to check it over before I roll out tomorrow.

Sit at my desk and while I'm reading your post, my phone rings.
It seems the drums are beating in my network.

Good friend of mine just called me, asking about "the new rig"
Offered me his car hauling deck trailer.

Now if ever there was 'a sign' to tow it, in case all the posts above weren't clear, that was it.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...The oil leak is slightly to the left and behind the water pump pulley (far left)...

If true, I'll put a dollar on a bad OP sender...BTDT... Rolling Eyes Wink

FWIW, this mess accumulated in less than 30 seconds...just sayin'... Confused

Yeah...tow it... Evil or Very Mad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

If I was removing the oil cooler on a new-to-me rig, I'd definitely replace those hard to get at coolant hoses connecting to it at the same time. I'd also want to be changing coolant to establish a baseline, so again, going to drain coolant anyway....those hoses are very very heat exposed and small. Van-cafe sells a nice set of silicone replacements, I bought those for peace of mind.

FWIW, those hoses failing led to me being towed home a couple years ago, so I might be paranoid.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
>snip< Van-cafe sells a nice set of silicone replacements, I bought those for peace of mind. <snip>

I should order that kit if, for no other reason than to get one of their legendary cookies i keep reading about.

I'm all about replacing components for peace of mind. I don't even have it in my driveway yet and already my list has started.

Anxious

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Are Vanagons like tattoos? Yeah, good ones aren't cheap and cheap ones aren't good.

I've had one tattoo for about 18 years now and always intended to get more work added to it. Oddly enough, I seem to have found other things to spend money on. Gee, what could those things be? Laughing
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Are Vanagons like tattoos? Yeah, good ones aren't cheap and cheap ones aren't good.

Laughing How about tattoos of Vanagons, anyone here have one of those?
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

Kirsche Wasserboxer wrote:
SCM wrote:

Laughing How about tattoos of Vanagons, anyone here have one of those?

Now that would be something to see Exclamation

So it’s, what? 9:30pm local time.
Just got in the house, been outside all evening, since 3:30.
Why you might ask.
It’s Friday, surely drinking beer. Celebrating the new found rig, excitement building for the road trip…

HA Exclamation
Not.
The damn Gas Hog needed a new fuel pump.

Can you believe it.

So I’ve just spent my night, on my back, in my gravel driveway bench pressing 15 some odd liters of go juice (couldn’t get the tank completely empty)
That’s my punishment for diss’n it’s lack luster fuel economy.

I am going to get this darn van home Sunday come hell or high water.

NOW it’s beer time.

Good times ahead.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Are Vanagons like Tatoos? Reply with quote

So siting here reading my Bentley getting to know my new lover.

Looking at the lubrication section, is this “The O-ring” to which you all are reffering to?

Thinking about asking my local dealer if they have one to take along, you know just in case the Hog lets me down. I can abandon it on it on the road and roar into town triumphantly in my new steed.

Very Happy
Love the Note about ”Extreme cold weather.”

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: