Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

GhiaInSC wrote:
I respect everyone's opinion on whether to buy low and restore or purchase as complete as possible. I don't have the time, energy or talent to completely restore a vehicle. I like to buy cars that have good bones to start off with or that someone else has done the heavy lifting on. I do enjoy putting the finishing touches on something or making something that is really good already, great. It is somewhat therapeutic to work on these cars, but I don't want to have to be tied to doing it.

I don't agree that these cars aren't investments, but do agree that you shouldn't do it for your retirement. I don't have a single car that's not worth more than what I paid for it originally. If you buy right (as I've described above) and put money into the vehicle that will enhance its value, you can expect them to appreciate. I buy for the love of these vehicles, but it's nice not to lose your tail if you ever need to part with them.

Outside of this, an original, untouched vehicle is absolutely an appreciable asset as there are few that aren't destroyed (or restoyed). They are worth a premium, but I'm trying to determine how much of one since I don't know this segment well.

Thank you to the person above that outlined the nuances of each model year and the benefits of each. That's the kind of thing that I really enjoy and want to learn.

I've spoken with the seller and will be looking at the vehicle soon. I'll see where it goes from there. Thanks again for all of the feedback.
Sounds like a solid plan, but do confirm any "survivor", "museum piece", etc... has actually had the important safety and reliability stuff like rubber parts, bushings, hoses and brakes worked on. Spending top dollar for some shiny bus that needs all the dried up OG stuff replaced soon isn't much better than buying a project. A stack of old PO reciepts is nice, but the other stack of fresh ones is more important.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

Unless they are going up 7% CAGR, they suck as investments

And no production quantity car is doing that.

Own it to love it and spend on it.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
if he wants a nice bus and buys a 3K bus, he will easily shovel 30k+ to make it look like the orange one so it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Y'all don't need shiny paint to drive. You DO need safe and sound mechanical systems. So if the OP wants a shiny bus, that's fine, but some of my best road trips were in a bus I got for free and sunk $127 into.

Maybe Rich's bus doesn't look like the orange bus in the ad, but it drives circles around pretty much every bus that does… If the OP wants good looking AND reliable, yeah $30k is a good starting point. If they want show winning gorgeous and reliable, more like $40k. If they want rattle can and reliable, I can't see a way to estimate that; it all depends on which carcass they pick up.

Robbie

More often than not purchasing a bus for 20K and north ends up stinging the purchaser big time. I've see all to often where a seller makes it appear they did all their homework only to find out later buy the buyer it's a nightmare covered in bondo.

I'd tell anyone intent on purchasing a bus to first learn how to work on them. A new owner with little knowledge in mechanics will grow disgruntled very quickly and will play hell on finding even a half decent ACVW mechanic.

Like anything the more documentation from a previous owner the better the bus is to be in mechanical shape. My bus was originally my grandfathers and I have every receipt he had from every instance he took it to the shop. Some are dated back to the 70's. I even have the original bill of sale for the bus.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires

Last edited by udidwht on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:25 am; edited 2 times in total
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
None of these cars are investments

The SP500 more than doubled in the last decade and is up 4x from the crash basement.

You will be upside down on any car

Putting 30k into a car in your 20s should be illegal, thats you’re retirement money

Today's generation could care less about retirement. In their mind they will get everything for free cause of the burn. LOL!
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
if he wants a nice bus and buys a 3K bus, he will easily shovel 30k+ to make it look like the orange one so it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Y'all don't need shiny paint to drive. You DO need safe and sound mechanical systems. So if the OP wants a shiny bus, that's fine, but some of my best road trips were in a bus I got for free and sunk $127 into.

Maybe Rich's bus doesn't look like the orange bus in the ad, but it drives circles around pretty much every bus that does… If the OP wants good looking AND reliable, yeah $30k is a good starting point. If they want show winning gorgeous and reliable, more like $40k. If they want rattle can and reliable, I can't see a way to estimate that; it all depends on which carcass they pick up.

Robbie

More often than not purchasing a bus for 20K and north ends up stinging the purchaser big time. I've see all to often where a seller makes it appear they did all their homework only to find out later buy the buyer it's a nightmare covered in bondo.

Like this guy who bought a nightmare at Mecum....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694683&highlight=baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

GhiaInSC wrote:
I've spoken with the seller and will be looking at the vehicle soon. I'll see where it goes from there.

any update on this?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

I still get nauseous when I think about the Mecum auction. Suffice it to say I will never set foot in that place either literally/virtually/ in any capacity
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

Why do I do it?

Yet another thread where everyone is right, no one is wrong and all were triggered by the lead in thread title. Laughing Opinions vary widely disclaimer. Rolling Eyes

People keep telling me that my 74 is museum quality Wink I just think its clean.

Ahhhh. Good to know some things stay consistent with you guys.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Imo for $37-40k buy a sprinter van, Quigly or Sportsmoblie conversion and be on your way.

So, just a reality check, here. A new 4x4 Sprinter Sportsmobile will set you back $100-120k. But a beast like that will reliably take you anywhere and everywhere.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to learn about VW Buses and Prices Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
None of these cars are investments

You will be upside down on any car

Putting 30k into a car in your 20s should be illegal, thats you’re retirement money.

I very much disagree. I've been into buses since 1982, and have gone through 18 of them. On all except one, I have made money. This money gets plowed back into the hobby, but I think that all these buses are gaining value,a nd make pretty damned good investments. My retirement will be partially funded by this, but frankly not a lot, since the end product of all of that work on all of those buses is just one final keeper bus.

And it just got painted.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: