Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Here is a wild one... from a cut 1953 single cab pick up?
If you can point out anything of interest feel free to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

I saw this one for sale for a while on here. Are you the new owner? You gong to leave as is or part it out or try to build a bus around it? Looks to have a lot of good parts on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
I saw this one for sale for a while on here. Are you the new owner? You gong to leave as is or part it out or try to build a bus around it? Looks to have a lot of good parts on it.

Yeah, bought it on condition of fixing it as it is and driving because it has so much to do with our Americana history. It could be that someday a bus will be built around this or parted out but that will be next owners task. For now I'll enjoy bringing this one back alive

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Great minds think alike apparently. Or it’s the same guy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=120
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Great minds think alike apparently. Or it’s the same guy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=120

I strongly doubt it is the same guy who did above, which is why I feel that it deserves to be saved as it is. There were few examples of a bus cut up as recreational built, and comparable to the EMPI Sportsers or the classic Baja Bug modifications that spawned a generation of new motoring category- it stems from the rich hot rodding history that is part of America. Someone pinged me there was another bus from a 56 that was cut up similarly. Where did the idea originate? This is an interesting one but I think it falls in the early Baja bug and off-roading generation. I am sure there is a European farming modification history that can be used as examples but the purpose is different.

From Wiki:

"At the end of World War II thousands of soldiers returning from the war had spent years driving Jeeps, tanks, and half-tracks with few or no roads. Having an increased disposable income, these GIs formed the original core of off-road enthusiasm. Initially, they used surplus Jeeps and cut-up cars to build their off-road vehicles. Soon these "off-roaders" discovered that with little more than a skid plate, they could get a stock air-cooled Volkswagen Beetle to go almost anywhere.[2] Throughout the 1950s the sport continued to develop.
In 1958 Pete Beiring of Oceano, Calif., took the body frame or "pan" from a damaged Volkswagen and shortened it into a new machine that eventually became the precursor to the dune buggy. This eventually led to the first production dune buggy called the "Sportster", which was developed around 1960 by the EMPI Imp Company. It was an angular sheet metal vehicle built on a stripped-down Volkswagen chassis. Many others followed including the ever popular Meyers Manx. design.[3] Dune buggies had a style all their own with fiberglass siding and other "heavy" body features."

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
AirBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Wauw cool ride!! Cool

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, T1 1915cc
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

trying to figure this out, which wiper motor should I use. I assumed it used a barndoor wiper motor but looking at the mounting surface it doesn't seem so. I hope to make it road worthy and having functional wipers are one of the requirements to pass the DMV inspection. I'd assume using some sort of SWF wiper motor, however, I don't have any laying around.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Update so far:

Just started cleaning it up, and giving it much deserved bath in a couple of decades, mentally preparing to start working on the mechanicals.

Some of the paint was flaking off, and it appears at one point it was painted pink below the turquoise color. Of course, dove blue from the factory was still present as well.

Driver side (not washed)

Passenger side, after a good wash down

Removed the seat, to figure out the fuel tank situation. It doesn't seem to be VW related, anyone know the make? I am not sure if I will use the same tank or put in a replacement. Time will tell. Here are some photos of the gas tank

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Moving on to the shifter/linkage, it seems someone used everything from a barndoor except for the base (plate?). Greased them up and they moved freely.

Then onto the E-brake system, it's a weird mish-mash of bus items utilizing some homemade tube steel with cargo floor/ frame bits including the e brake handle off a bus (maybe BD?)

Brake master cylinder :

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Then it was time to remove the frozen 36hp. I dont think it is salvageable but I will set it aside and see what I can do about it. I gathered some old school items that I plan to use on the buggy. Still will be 36hp, with cyclone headers/muffler, 019 blue screamer dizzy and maybe some high lift rockers later down the road.

Also I found out the passenger side rear drum had bad spline and was wobbly, and I was lucky enough to find a good replacement drum locally. I will probably need to rebuild the wheel cylinders. Does anyone know about relining the brake shoes or a replacement? I'm based in So Cal.

That's all for now, as I am focusing on getting all mechanicals sorted out.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

AWESOME!

I was vaguely fascinated and horrified when I saw that for sale. I'm glad someone's putting it back on the road.

FWIW, if it has bd brakes, the rears are the same as fronts on oval window bugs.
The front are bd only. Rebuild kits were the same as 68 bug IIRC. Brake hoses are same as bug in front, split bus in back. Just look up the p/n

I'm impressed it still has the M spring in the shifter.
And bd wiper pivots. Can you fit a 55-64 wiper motor?
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
AWESOME!

I was vaguely fascinated and horrified when I saw that for sale. I'm glad someone's putting it back on the road.

FWIW, if it has bd brakes, the rears are the same as fronts on oval window bugs.
The front are bd only. Rebuild kits were the same as 68 bug IIRC. Brake hoses are same as bug in front, split bus in back. Just look up the p/n

Appreciate the brake parts sources. That is really helpful, relieves me a bit. I haven't moved up to the front brake department yet but they all are definitely bd drum to drum.

I'd have to agree I was surprised to see the M spring there. There are many little details which I keep finding every time I check it out.
55-64 wiper motor, I'd need to borrow a spare and see if it will mount, or fab a bracket. That's the plan

This is a nostalgic trip for me because I grew up as 3rd generation off-road family member mainly into VWs Bajas and Buggies with trips to Glamis, Dumont Dunes and Pismo Beach a few times a year I literally grew up there.

Back in the 60s my grandpa and uncle (while he was in high school) cut up a Buick to go duning on Pismo Beach for the first time. From there it was VWs all the way.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
Clara wrote:
AWESOME!

Appreciate the brake parts sources. That is really helpful, relieves me a bit. I haven't moved up to the front brake department yet but they all are definitely bd drum to drum.

I'd have to agree I was surprised to see the M spring there. There are many little details which I keep finding every time I check it out.
55-64 wiper motor, I'd need to borrow a spare and see if it will mount, or fab a bracket. That's the plan

This is a nostalgic trip for me because I grew up as 3rd generation off-road family member mainly into VWs Bajas and Buggies with trips to Glamis, Dumont Dunes and Pismo Beach a few times a year I literally grew up there.

Back in the 60s my grandpa and uncle (while he was in high school) cut up a Buick to go duning on Pismo Beach for the first time. From there it was VWs all the way.

Keeping the family legacy going! Right on

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

I copied & pasted a quote from another thread (Melville Engineering Pipe and Steel Thread) about the front brakes. In case someone was figuring out the front brake shoe situation. I'm much more relieved now, thanks to this site I keep learning stuff. See below:

Clara wrote:
AWESOME!

"gatorwyatt wrote:

This is a fun fact. After different cross matching part numbers the front shoes for barndoor brakes are the same as Porsche 944 for the late 70's to early 80's rear. One hole needs to be drilled for a spring but other than that they fit.

vdouglu wrote:
Even more fun facts ... they are the same as Super Beetle and Thing rears.... Wink with the need to drill out the same hole. I've bought them for $10 a set and worked great on my bus... Cool"

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

question: what do you use for padding under the seats? Wolfsburg west supplies replacement for 55-60 but my seat is earlier.

What do you guys use instead? As for my case, seat pads are nonexistent and I plan to recover the seats soon.

would the 55-60 work with some modification or are the sizes different? Thanks

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881375

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
AWESOME!

I'm getting ready to order brake parts. The rebuild kit for wheel cylinders is the same as the 1968 bug, as in front and rear sets? I will double-check w the p/n's if i can find them.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Update:

I got in touch with George Schmidt from the Butcher Shop to get some feedback and support to get this project moving along. It is nicer when he's only a stone's throw from my house. One day he came by and looked over the buggy. He recalled that in 1993 when Russ got this buggy from a tire shop in Acton, he called George to come and check it out which he did.

It was nice to learn a few things about the buggy while he was there. We discussed a plan of attack since I had a deadline in mind.

"We better get started with the brakes and the 36hp ASAP," he said.

After he left, I decided to go ahead and tear it apart. Almost.
Here is the result:

Prepping for motor and brake removal:

Removed Battery & cleaned out the recessed battery box. Interesting...

Front Brake looked good.

Rear:

Now on the stands, while we refurbish the wheel cylinders, replace the master cylinder, reline & arc the shoes, turn the drums, etc. It looks like just a good cleaning and repacking of bearings, replace some seals I think the brake part should be good to go so far.

Meanwhile, the 36hp will go to George, where he will try to bench start the "smoker" 36hp and see what it needs.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

UPDATE:

The smoker 36hp ended up NOT being a smoker. George bench started it and stated it sounded good, with no knocking or smoking.

Looks like this '55 36er is a go.

With that, that he called me to pick the refurbished wheel cylinders, relined shoes, which were arc'd to the turned drums.
The game plan is to finish up the brake department and focus on wiring up the buggy as the existing ones are too brittle to use. The 36hp has been picked up and torn down to the long block pending the Gasket kit and seals from Wolfsburg West.

Our next hope lies on the transaxle... if it is any good or not.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks so much for posting updates on here. Really appreciated.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

I post most of the stuff on Instagram, for those who want to, go ahead follow the progress there @barneybarndoorbuggy

I've made progress on assembling the rebuilt brakes, and due to my busy schedule, I was only able to do the front end. I look forward to getting all the brakes out of the way, as I'm anxious to finish up the 36hp and test the transaxle out but of course brakes gotta work first.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: