Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

For the rear wheels, I was faced with a problem: they had to be with 2" or so backspacing as the original set up had that. I tried to bolt on regular bug wheels or ones with "deep dish" but had backspace of 3" or up- it wouldn't fit and ended up rubbing on the homemade pickup bed.

It took me a while looking for the rear wheels, mostly old school welded ones. I finally found a pair nearby. Bonus, it came with old Mickey Thompson Baja tires, which looked awesome but I doubt it is roadworthy.

The 14" widened front wheels were with the bd buggy when I picked it up- it will stay that way. I am looking for proper old school tires for the front. maybe E78-14 tires? https://www.cokertire.com/sta-traxion-e78-14.html

Heres a picture after I mounted the rears on, It looks good to me but I will need to figure out the rear fenders next. It was missing when I picked it up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

adding more progress pictures after a trip to Sierra Madre Collection to pick up a master cylinder from early 356 (direct bolt-in)

Taillight mounting holes were similar to 356 beehives, so I grabbed a pair from SMC.

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Great thread, keep up the good work. Looking forward to a driving video soon Cool
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest. I know this project is somewhat an oddball but I think it deserves some type of documentation and research support. I think that's why I posted here, in case someone might chime in with their experience with baja'd buses from the early days.

Anyway, as much I'd love to have a driving video soon, this project hit a major roadblock. When I got it, the shifter managed to get in 3rd & 4th gears but never could get in 1st or 2nd gears. Let's see why...

It appears the transaxle case was not barndoor, as I looked for the stampings to indicate its origin. The nose cone had 29 series #'s which I assume is barndoor, along with the axles of course.

Cleaned

Oh crap...

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

I don't own a Barndoor (or even a bus) but I've been following along since you got this thing. Neat seeing something like this getting put back on the road!
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

nice safety shoes. I wear similar in my shop.

you can always adapt a later center section in and just save the bd reduction setup. thats probably what I'd do. doesn't make much sense to spend a bunch of $$ for year correct trans rebuild on this thing I'm guessing.

Either go w/lollipop front mount or fab up a center mount or fab some of those drop mounts I've seen other split bus folks use. I was considering getting some laser cut myself once the weather turns and I can confirm measurements.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Most probably the water got in from the small vent hole, that's on top of the nose.
why not try to clean the crap out and try to get the 1/2 gear selector unstuck. the corrosion doesn't seem that bad and the gasket surfaces are intact. Let's not bury this tranny before it's dead ! Wink

I like the beehive taillights and loving how you were able to reuse the og master cylinger aluminium reservoir. that is way cool !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

When we had to get the transaxle out, we were forced to remove the gas tank to access the coupler bolts from the top. This slim design made it possible for the fuel tank to be mounted right under the driver's seat. This tank was peculiar to the British era sports car, based on possibly an early MG or AH because of the side-mounted "smiths" sender and top filler neck, the other clue is its distinctive stampings on the top and slightly curved ends.

For the moment, I will check to see if the tank is of any good use and if the sender can be replaced. I will run them as it is if possible.
Anyone who may recognize this tank, please chime in. Here are a few examples I've found so far...

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/fuel-tank-mg-midget-72...gJF4PD_BwE

http://www.victoriabritish.com/features/mg/MGFTL.h...gLpBPD_BwE

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Quarantine Update:

with everything going on, I took a pause to focus on the kid's E-learning or distant schooling and I had issues with the nose cone on the rebuilt transaxle. Thanks to Vintage Warehouse for sending me the lollipop mount for the syncro trans, which solved the fit issue and pushed me to finish this phase. I had Benco swap the barndoor axles on a 4.37 pro sand unit I had laying around and flipped the center section, it should work ok with the 36hp and super tall rear tires.

Speaking of tires, I decided to go with General Grabber ATs, the fronts are 27x8.5r14 and the rears are 31x10.5r15 I think it looks decent. I painted the old buggy rims in L82 silver-white. I'm not quite sure if I will run hubcaps or not however that's not important right now.

Next item on the checklist to get the brake bleed, the gas tank hot dipped and see what repairs it will need, then wire up this bad boy. The engine is waiting for me to finish up the new seals all around and top-end assembly. Getting there soon.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

You and your supplier friends are doing an awesome job refreshing and returning this piece of early off-road history to the road/trail! It's exciting to see your progress, and like others, we are waiting breathlessly for the "first drive'" video! Keep up the great work!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

This thing is awesome!

With the internals of the transmission in the condition that they were, did you open up & inspect/rebuild the reduction boxes?

Great job on the beast.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
This thing is awesome!

With the internals of the transmission in the condition that they were, did you open up & inspect/rebuild the reduction boxes?

Great job on the beast.

the rgb boxes were rebuilt and bearings replaced by benco when swapped on to the previously rebuilt pro sand tunnel case unit.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

not a barndoor but check this out!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2385370

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
not a barndoor but check this out!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2385370

$500 price drop in the past day as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Updates:

Put in the 36hp with the rebuilt 6v thin slot generator and rebuilt screw terminal 6v starter. I started to check off most items on the list.

I'm on a hunt for pair of an old fender, any kind, perhaps from a single wheel trailer or something- to fab some kind of rear fender soon.

Also, the gas tank is no bueno, the radiator shop told me it was too far gone to fix with thin spots due to rust. I guess I will have to figure out a low profile gas tank solution.

I had to get this license plate frame for this ride.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Nice update, a pity about the gastank though
Really dig the plate frame Cool
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

It's overdue for an update. Not much has been done but a major event happened. I packed up and sold our house in So Cal, moved to Eastern Tennessee near the Smoky Mountains. I sold almost everything VW I had except for the BD Buggy. I decided to stash it at my mom's cabin for a while before I could get a plan sorted out for this one.

After a while, a plan was hatched. Thanks to my good friend, Justin from Kombi Haus who graciously accepted the undertaking to finish up what I started, as I began to hit a wall regarding my abilities. I feel better now that it's in super capable hands, I hope to update this thread with a driving video in the future.

Here you can see him wondering WTF he got himself into. Laughing

(I could have sent this to any Baja/VW shop in So Cal but this is a Type 2 spec off-road vehicle, I couldnt think of anyone else)

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
I’m not too far from you, in NC. When you bring this to the East Coast, we’ll have to get these two together at a show!

That's an awesome ride. tell us more about it. I believe it is too familiar that I've seen it somewhere before... yes definitely let's plan on meeting up once I get it running.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Air George, I split off all of your posts about your Buggy into it's own thread here as it was overtaking this thread about this Bus:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763643
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

UPDATE:

It's alive! Jim Bass at Kombi Haus has been hard at work getting it to this stage. More to come with specifics but here's a video for now:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaiQuU_pgXD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: