Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

As you can see in the previous post, the 36hp is now running on the buggy. This is made possible by the new wiring harness. The clutch pedal was very worn inside the bushings, this was repaired as well.

Brakes were also done, in addition to repairing the broken e brake cable base. I will add more photos as it comes in. Test drive is imminent as soon few odds and ends are wrapped up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

bus buggy in the classifieds

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2549857

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Just a small update that the buggy is going to OCTO this coming fall (Oct 15 2022) if you guys want to check it out in person. It's been a long time coming but it's finally in operational form everything works.

Kombi Haus has been awesome finishing up what I started and working out the bugs. I hope to get a driving video posted soon as it comes. I can't wait to debut this ride, drive it around there and hopefully some other bus buggies join along for the fun. Pre 67 only, sorry no bay window buggies!

Also there has been two bus buggies for sale, go to @barneybarndoorbuggy instagram for more info I posted them up there if you are itching for one as well. Cheers & pic for attention.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Heres the update:
Initially worked out a deal to have Robert Skinner haul the buggy to October OCTO along with his bus buggy (El Pavo Real) and I'd fly in for the weekend to take it home with me since Jim Bass from Kombi Haus wrapped up most of the to do list.

It ended up not happening because as you all may know, Robert and Randy Carlson had something pop up unexpectedly and they made a mad dash to Chicago for the Kiddlieland firetrucks to debut at OCTO instead. It was a hit for them, but a miss for me.

Instead, I went straight to Sacramento to pick it up and give it a spin, to see what the next steps lay ahead. The ol 36hp ended up being too much a smoker and the lever shocks performed poorly, definitely needed a better ride, new shocks all around?

It looks like I'll have to get the vintage warehouse conversion kit for the barndoor/splits, instead of rear lever shocks I'd think its good idea to put on a decent set of rear telescoping shocks. Other than that- the shifter needed adjustments it is almost roadworthy. I had it towed to my dad's place in so cal after my brother in law's wedding in nor cal on Sunday.

With that behind me, I will have to figure out the next solution for the smoker 36hp engine- change out the rings and see what other surprises lay there. I have few months ahead to finalize some items and then shoot for the barndoor gathering at OCTO in June 2023?

Theres a driving video I posted on instagram if you want to check it out in action. @barneybarndoorbuggy

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

This thing is so wacky....I love it! Laughing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

I didn't know these cars at all
great to see this one being handled
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

So far, I have received the rear shock upgrade kit from Greg at Vintage Warehouse, I think he is selling the last few kits available and once they are gone, it's NLA if I understand correctly. Check with him soon if you are considering a set. It will work on barndoor and split bugs with lever shocks. The one on the barndoor buggy was too worn out and I didnt like how it handled, considering I may do some off roading, the rear shock kit was a logical choice. I chose the stock height setting there is also a kit for the lowered crowd.

The next item to do is to pull the motor and replace the piston rings, hopefully everything else is good and if there aren't any surprises it should be ready for the barndoor gathering at OCTO in June '23.

I put together some clips I shot when I first picked it up from Kombi Haus.

Link

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

UPDATE: It's ready for the Barndoor Gathering at OCTO on June 3rd. Had a tune up done recently and it's running smoother and not smoking as much as it used to be (many things wrong with the set up but I'm glad it is now behind us).

I've registered for the Barndoor Gathering, and if you havent- please check with BarndoorMafia on the IG or on this site. I'm excited and looking forward to this event.

Next item to do is to install the rear shock kit from Vintage Warehouse and then figure out why it isn't getting into the reverse gear. Probably M clip needing replacement? Do they affect the ability to get in the reverse gear? I'll have to tinker with it when I get to California a week before the Gathering. Cant wait!

Eye Candy Pics:
When I first picked it up, it looked like this.

Currently:

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Do you know where to get the M clip piece under the shift rod plate. I thought wolfsburg west sells that but i couldn’t find it on the site. I recall i saw an ad somewhere?

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

These guy sell repros but I don't know if there is a USA source
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1584809
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
These guy sell repros but I don't know if there is a USA source
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1584809

Thank you! I was wondering about that. This might be the ad I saw but for some reason I thought it was from wolfsburg west.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Bro it’s a dune buggy a bad ass bus burrow barn error on top of that. I Don’t no how much attention it gets in barndoor discussions. I think it’s real history was the beginning of Baja. I’d love to see what attention it gets on the Manx club or other dune buggy sites.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

Well, it finally happened. It was a blur getting prepped and loading the BD buggy to OCTO's Barndoor Roundup. Unfortunately, it couldn't run under its power as the fuel line got clogged once I got it on the lot (stage fright maybe?), but after the show, it only took a cleaning of the fuel lines, pump, and the carburetor it ran super smooth albeit the smoke puffing from the header.

The valve guides were worn, necessitating a complete rebuild of the heads; however, the lead time for the job ended up being a month away, so I decided just to run it. Pardon the smoke! Thankfully for some, the buggy decides to choke upon the stadium parking lot.

I want to thank the organizers of OCTO for letting me in the Barndoor lineup, and even though some of the high-brows sneered and stared in horror, there were some compliments from the attendees marveling at a piece of off-road history.

The next showing will be at the Prado show on June 10-11, and it is listed for sale on thesamba to see if there will be a next caretaker, as I don't see myself bringing it out to Tennessee with me. It deserves to stay in So Cal with the local off-road history. I will wait and see how the next chapter of the BD buggy journey unravels.

Post-war America saw returning soldiers, armed with increased disposable income, spawn a new generation of motorsports, forming the original core of off-road enthusiasm.
What began in the early ‘50s soon became the precursor to the dune buggies- which were stripped-down VW chassis. Then came the EMPI Sportsters, Burros, bajas, and Manx buggies…

Modified VWs from the old days, from cutting up body panels or removing the body to expose the chassis and shortening the wheelbase combined with off-road tires, were common changes done to VWs aside from souping up motors.
You only needed cutting tools, an arc welder, creativity, and ingenuity.
All to gain maneuverability and traction in rugged environments.
This era is when this Barndoor buggy likely flourished.

By the 60’s, the bare-bones off-road VWs went mainstream, hitting the magazines with various companies offering body kits and engine kits that proliferated the VW aftermarket industry.
Many current motoring titans can trace their roots to this golden age of hot rodding & off-roading.

This 1953 VW Barndoor Single Cab has been shortened to 75” wheelbase, the steering system flipped, and the seating relocated behind the front beam. It retained the Barndoor chassis components, including the front beam & rear gear reduction boxes. Many years later, this Barndoor buggy was found languishing behind a tire shop in the high desert sometime in the early 90s. It was saved by an insightful VW enthusiast who intentionally kept it for historical prosperity—refusing to sell it to people wanting to cut it up for parts which was the fashion of the day. It sat behind his yard for decades until it was finally purchased in 2020 and thus began the resurrection to its former glory.

Many thanks for the support to make this possible:
George Schmidt, Danny Zepeda, Greg Banfill @Vintage Warehouse,
Benco Transaxles, Justin Campbell @Kombi Haus,
Jim Bass, Daniel Briones Jr.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

That thing is so cool!

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

UPDATE:
After trying to drive it around with barely any power and the valve guides were shot, we came to a decision to pull the heads and give them 2nd chance on life.

The heads were coated with tar, and so much grime and even after two runs in the hot tank, the crud still stuck on so we are going to scrape them off (except the chamber area) before sending them out for a rebuild job.

Rings/cylinder looked so good, we aren't going to bother with them. Hopefully it will be ready by the next Octo show in October. We might have to give the carburetor a little do over meanwhile.

Everything else looks good so far (YES the following photos are of the heads AFTER two runs in the hot tank)

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Barndoor Beach Buggy Reply with quote

The heads are still in limbo at Performance Workshop in Riverside. I learned that Steve Tims had passed away in the fall of 2023 and the shop has slowed down. It is still managed by his son Greg. I am not going to pressure or push for a deadline even though we dropped off the heads in the late summer. I am hopeful the heads can be rebuilt in time for the June OCTO show, that's my current goal. I will also check off on few other items on the to-do list.

While waiting on the heads- I made a request to have a drawing reminiscent of the Dave Deal style that we often saw in the 80s. I'm thrilled to have a couple of art submissions through Instagram. Check them out! 

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: