Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centurion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

Hi there everyone
Latest question is :
Is it more ideal ( for a new guy) to buys a already built or rebuilt engine or build one from scratch
My current motor is doing well however was told sooner than later it will need a rebuild
In an effort to really learn and get dirty I thought why not just build one now on the side or do I buy a cheaper rebuilt engine. Maybe take it apart. Play with it and upgrade it
Can you send me in the right direction to find a place that Carla the individual parts Case/ heads/ pistons. Etc
Are there kits?
Is there a link/ site / or resources where I can read a list of all the parts needed for a rebuild
If I bought a basic 1600cc engine can I upgrade it to different horsepower etc and still fit it my 71 bus
I'm so new I don't know what will fit. My current engine is the stock 1600
Thank you all very much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

I'm a relative newbie, too, and can give you some basic info. The more experienced Sambanistas will be along shortly with better guidance.

My three favorite resources:
---"How to Rebuild your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine", by Tom Wilson
---Bug Me Video #8 (I think). [Edit: Video #3 is for type 1 engines]
---All the fellow Sambanistas

Just be glad you have a type 1 engine. They are much easier to find parts than a type 4. Good luck!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM

Last edited by KentABQ on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

It depends on your time, confidence, and eagerness to learn (the hard way if need be). I would suggest looking into purchasing a long block and putting the feast together.

If I were looking to learn I would start with a cheapo junkyard engine and just take it apart and put it back together and have it run. Then I'd try to do with some new parts and advance from there.

As pointed out before: check out those reading resources.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

My advice, assuming you have original engine tin, is to buy a long block and swap all of your subsystems from your original engine over to the new
long block. If you want to go bigger than stock, you have many choices to make and may want to go with a turnkey. Good original German tin is still the way to go on a turnkey if you can find a builder who will use it. With a ‘71, the port on the fan housing that blows air through the charcoal canister is important. Also, the vacuum port on the intake manifold that goes to your brake servo is important. Working thermostat and flaps are important for proper operating temperature of your engine. Do your research and ask lots of questions on here before you make a major engine purchase. Although some of us are grumpy old SOBs, we will try and steer you away from making some of the same mistakes we have already made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

Centurion wrote:

My current motor is doing well however was told sooner than later it will need a rebuild

What evidence do you have? Compression test? Valve won't adjust and is about to drop? Death rattle?

If you are new, find someone experienced to look yours over to help you assess how much time you have.

If you really want to learn, build a long block, and take your time doing so. That bug me video is excellent, and I would suggest not trying to go much bigger than stock to begin with. If you want to be more conservative with taking on too much at once, buy a long block and install it.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

A lot of engine builds by new vw owners don't go so well, and that's not a dig against anyone, it's just an observation from forum dialogue over the last several years. I rebuilt my own engine when I bought the bus.. it had a rod knock. I did have some VW experience, and a good mechanical background (career is in a/c maintenance). There is a learning curve and a tool acquisition curve but neither are insurmountable, they just take time and money, and a willingness to research.

A better place to start would be the Tom Wilson book KentPS mentioned.. then you can figure out for yourself why exactly you might or might not have a worn out engine. There are a few reasons for expecting a rebuild in the near future.. Maybe low oil pressure, ring or valve blowby, low cylinder compression, cracked heads or spark plug hole repairs.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chittychittybangbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

This is what I should have done when I first got a broken down old VW bus:

Buy a rebuilt engine from a reputable shop.

Meanwhile... as your driving around in your bus problem free (hopefully), you can then take your time learning how to rebuild your old engine the right way.

The question of whether the resulting usage is "correct" or "incorrect" depends on one's notion of correctness.
Centurion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

Thank you all very much
I just received the Wilson book three days ago so I'm reading it
I'm in Orange County California so there are a lot of Vw mechanics close by. I've taken the bus to two of them. Last one got into solid running shape. Repaired a major leak
He says I will need to rebuild sometime in the future but I'm the mean time enjoy driving locally
My desire for maybe buying another engine now is to tinker and research and upgrade a cheap engine while my bus is still running
So I like the suggestion of buying a rebuilt one or old engine that might. It be the. Best for cheap and start breaking it down and rebuilding
Thank you
I will also look into the videos. I think I need them
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

The nice thing about the 1971 VW bus is that it's a Dual Port engine that can be built to easily double the horsepower.
If you buy an engine to build for it make sure it's got the 3 point mounts on the rear of the engine case to fit with your mustache bar mount there on the back of the engine. 1971 AE and earlier cases need to have the cylinder stud inserts added by a machine shop. Also, have the shop add full flow oiling so you have an oil filter. Generally, Busses need a short stroke Either stock 69mm or a 74mm stroke is best as busses can break longer stroke crankshafts. Avoid Cast cranks for a bus too. Any Piston and Cylinder Bore over 88mm will require the case to be opened for larger cylinders. The 88mm slip in bottom thickwall cylinder 92mm at the head are as big as you can go without opening the case.
With the case opened for 92mm or 94mm you have more options for Pistons and Cylinders. For a Bus though 94mm cylinders are too thin. Some folks have the case and heads machined for 94's and run 92mm thickwall cylinders for dependability. If building your engine from an OEM 10mm stud case like the original 71 AE code case is, it would have better dependability if not opened. That's why I did the No machine 1800cc Type 1 engine build.
To release the horsepower potential of a VW Type 1 engine generally Dual carbs are used. However, now Fuel Injection is available and would be more trouble-free than IDF or DRLA carbs.
A nice bus engine for a 1971 bus would be a 92mm bore X 74mm stroke which gives you 1968cc's enough for keeping up with traffic on the interstate highways and it will hold it's own in 4th gear on the hills.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

Centurion wrote:
Thank you all very much
I just received the Wilson book three days ago so I'm reading it
I'm in Orange County California so there are a lot of Vw mechanics close by. I've taken the bus to two of them. Last one got into solid running shape. Repaired a major leak
He says I will need to rebuild sometime in the future but I'm the mean time enjoy driving locally
My desire for maybe buying another engine now is to tinker and research and upgrade a cheap engine while my bus is still running
So I like the suggestion of buying a rebuilt one or old engine that might. It be the. Best for cheap and start breaking it down and rebuilding
Thank you
I will also look into the videos. I think I need them

I was in your spot last October. I decided to rebuild the engine I had. Bearings went out. The block was still good and I used the same resources that are suggested. I had never done anything like this before. It was so much fun and give me something to do last winter. It will cost you some bread but I thought it was worth it. Gained a great deal of confidence and knowledge. I floor tested mine. Found a shot transmission and cut off the bell housing. Rigged it up for a push button start with a bunch of wires, starter, and battery. That was key. I found all my mistakes before I put it back in the engine. I got 7 oil leaks down to none!
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

There are also certain combinations of crank and piston pin height that are a little easier to build than others.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
The nice thing about the 1971 VW bus is that it's a Dual Port engine that can be built to easily double the horsepower...

Laughing Laughing and even then it's still not making stock 90's honda civic HP Laughing Laughing
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie 71 bay owner (turnkey vs floor up engine build) Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Danwvw wrote:
The nice thing about the 1971 VW bus is that it's a Dual Port engine that can be built to easily double the horsepower...

Laughing Laughing and even then it's still not making stock 90's honda civic HP Laughing Laughing
Ain’t it the truth!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: