Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BN4 Heater - bad flame switch?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: BN4 Heater - bad flame switch? Reply with quote

Calling you BN4 heater experts! I finally got around to going through my heater over the last few weeks (wasn't working when I bought the Thing back in March). I replaced a bad overheating switch and put in a new fuel pump and hoses as they were missing. Checked all the other wiring and it looked ok.

This morning I calibrated the fuel pump and then turned the heater on. It fired up and I had heat for maybe a minute or two. The the combustion and the fuel pump went off, and the unit went into cool down mode. I couldn't get it to restart so I started checking voltages, and then it suddenly restarted on its own (the timer switch was still active) and did the same thing - heat for a short amount of time then went back into cool down mode.

I'm guessing a bad flame switch or a temperature control switch? Anything else I should be checking? It doesn't seem to have tripped the safety switch. Is there a test I can do to see what could be causing the issue?

Thanks for any ideas you have!
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Heater - bad flame switch? Reply with quote

Ok - as I was typing that I think I answered my own question. I temporarily bypassed the temperature regulator and that issue is resolved. Heater ran continuously without issue. Guess I need to adjust it - does anyone know the procedure for doing that?

But now a new issue - I drove around a little with the heat running for about 10 minutes, then when I got back home and opened the hood there was some black smoke coming from the heater area. I have no idea when the heater was last run but that can't be normal. I plan to check the exhaust after it cools down, but has anyone had this issue and have another suggestion?
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Heater - bad flame switch? Reply with quote

hey Dougster43,

maybe this link could help:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352241&highlight=bn4+heater

it's got a LOT of heater stuff in it, I used this link myself when fixing my heater.

Hope you get it working!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: