Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

car craft vw parts?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

Anybody use car craft vw parts?.some of their parts are extremely affordable.anyone know the quality of there P&C or Cranks etc?.just curious was looking today was surprised at the price of there 82mm 4340 crank and their P&C.not saying I am going to use them.i think I want to go to proven performance from the CB stuff.But I am curious if the quality is the same with Car Craft.com vw parts. $209 bucks for a 4340 micro polished etc stroker crank is pretty cheap considering everyone elses prices...Even the 4140 crank is $189 bucks!!??.GET what u pay for? OR is it quality parts? http://carcraftstore.com/chromolycounterweightedcrankshafts.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

Car Craft sells a lot of the same stuff everyone else does (EMPI), not really their own line. CB performance does make their own stuff and are much higher quality parts, IMO.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

You can say this over and over and over again till the cows come home and people still don't understand.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

If your a cheap bastard then shop on the cheapest price. If you want quality you must pay for quality.

Do you understand the basic difference between a 4140 crankshaft and a 4340?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

vwracerdave yes I do understand the difference between the 2 cranks.lets not assume anyones a moron or a "cheap bastard" because I or they shop for the best prices.Or ask questions about air cooled engines.i happen to be a pretty qualified mechanic.I also know that there is an insane 200 percent Markup or more on the same EXACT parts. manufactured in the same EXACT place,dealing with different suppliers.i deal with this everyday ordering parts.So posing the question do they have quality parts I don't think is unreasonable.i rarely order or work on vw vehicles.they r new to me so to speak.but because I spend 100 dollars less on the same part manufactured in the same plant does not make me a cheap bastard.its smart shopping.the true question was, do they have quality parts?.so I guess that would take someone that has used them and can say how they lasted or didn't.i will always look for a better price for the same quality part.Y wouldn't I?.I do understand that certain companys have above and beyond better quality parts(cb)ect.but I have ordered "quality" parts at half the cost of another supplier of the exact same part.Do I need a 1200 dollar crank from scat to make medium HP engine.Definately Not...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

DPR offset welded German counterweighted cranks have a great reputation

http://dprmachine.com/products/crankshafts-type-i/
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

No they are not all the same parts made at the same place. They just happen to all be made in the same country that is larger than the USA. CB contracts and imports directly from the manufacture to their own exact specifications and quality control standards. Carcraft is just a retailer that buys from a wholesaler (EMPI or AA). They don't care about quality control. You get whatever part is in the box. What is inside the box may be a 2nds or return.

If you want to take some time and educate yourself about quality parts than I suggest www.geneberg.com or www.aircooled.net. Both places have outstanding technical sections.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

I NEVER said ALL parts are made in the same place.u completely twisted what I was saying. I did get an education today,just not on anything vw..have a nice day...SEAN
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

BL3Manx ,thanks for the link.i checked it out.i like the idea.i did not know who was welding and balancing stock cranks anymore.appreciate the info.i am deciding where I am going to get my 82mm crank from.there prices r also reasonable.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

I bought an alternator from them, and it was the same part many other retailers sold, but at a lower price. The part shipped promptly, and arrived in good condition. From my one touch point, they are a decent vendor.

From their "About Us" statement on their website, I get the idea that they are more than just an internet VW Parts seller. Take it for what it's worth.

"Car Craft has been serving the Inland Empire for over 30 years. We are the owners of the orignal Empi machine shop. We are well known for our High Performance VW engines and our German Auto Service. We specialize in Turbo charging, tuning, dual carbs, engine repair, machine work, german car service, sandrail service, fabrication, aluminum panels, consoles, roofs, and much much more. We also do VW restorations, (partial & complete) & Sandrail restorations. We also have a large show room for you to browse."
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

andygere ,thanks for the info. I actually emailed Ron at carcraft and he responded pretty quickly. I talked to him about my concerns based on what I was told here and he said it was untrue about "2nds or returns may be what I receive." etc,etc. He did tell me that obviously they do buy from a wholesaler. If they didn't buy in such large quantities they couldn't offer the lower prices which makes sense to me. I sell parts everyday. They have been in business for 40 YEARS, which to me says they are doing something right. Now I cannot promote them as I have Never bought parts from them, this is why I initially made the post asking who has bought their parts, whether or not they are quality parts, etc.; however, after the unwarranted "cheap bastard" remarks (call me spiteful if you want), I figured I'd investigate a little further on my own before I take someone's condescending opinion at face value. I am going to use them for parts and Ron from carcraft said he would work with me every step of the way. I'll update as I go for anyone that is interested...….MY 2110 build over the next few months. Sean
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

I am looking forward to your updates.
I also have been looking at their website for a possible future stroker build.
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: car craft vw parts? Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
I'll update as I go for anyone that is interested...….MY 2110 build over the next few months. Sean

Looking forward to your posts. Thank you Sean!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: