Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1988 Cabriolet transmission
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlinsonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

Want to put later model 2.0 in a 1988 Cabriolet and keep the automatic trans. In the car. Will the 2.0 bolt to the 1988 automatic trans?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

Yes, the problem is going to be getting the throttle linkage to work correctly since it is actuated through the transmission.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

Look into keeping the stock head and putting it on the ABA block. It should solve a lot of problems on plumbing and just may keep the transmission linkage happy.
Burlinsonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

Is the 1.8 head a direct bolt on? Any other modifications?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

I have never done it. So double check everything I mention.

I believe it does. An ABA head has the intake on the opposite side of the head and that means you would have several things that are in a different location. So that means a lot of the stock stuff would have to be butched to make it work. This would include the automatic transmission linkage.

If you use the original head [I'm assuming you have the stock engine in it now and that should be a JH hydraulic lifter head], then the main difference is that the head would sit slightly higher [The ABA block is 16mm taller]. I believe the oil and coolant ports align properly and I know the headbolt spacing is the same.

So if you do put the JH head on, I believe there is enough wiggle room for the stock components to reattach everything to the intake/throttle, etc. without any hassle.

Again, I have not done this but I do plan on it in the future. My wife has a 91 Cabriolet and it is an automatic also.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/ABA_Engine_Swap.htm

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Burlinsonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

How hard would this swap be if it was a standard? Have a 1990 with cable throttle.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

Probably slightly easier since the linkage should not be effected by the engine.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Cabriolet transmission Reply with quote

Burlinsonk wrote:
How hard would this swap be if it was a standard? Have a 1990 with cable throttle.

Much easier!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: