Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 pains
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanover2Wolfsburg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: 1500 pains Reply with quote

My 1500sp wonít idle at all off the choke, drives really lumpy and has just had a new ignition system installed. The carb is snuggly tightened down and doesnít display any rev up when I spray carb cleaner at it (anymore). Idle solenoid works 10 time out of 10. Iím thinking idle circuit blockage on my 30 PICT 2

Anyone shed any light?
Thanks H2W
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

That's a lot of pains Shocked
How was it running before installing the elex ignition, & what type is it?
Suggest verifying proper timing - both static & at full advance.

Once off the choke, you might try opening the fuel/air mixture screw a bit to see if that helps.
Has the carb been rebuilt/cleaned w/in the last decade or so? If not, (& a blocked idle circuit is suspected) this would be a wise plan.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hanover2Wolfsburg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

So Iíve rebuilt the carb. Still wonít idle. Iím thinking fuel pump. Whatís everyoneís opinion
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

In my first opinion, you should probably address the timing issues FeelthySanchez asked about, otherwise some may be inclined not to play this game...

As for the engine,

-is the fuel cut-off solenoid working (do you hear a click when you put + on the terminal)? Is the idle jet clean?

-after this happens (dies), have you checked for how much fuel is in the float chamber?

-have you tried squirting extra fuel? What if you use the accelerator pump to give it a bit more? Still dying?

- the symptoms would point to the engine wants to run with an extra-rich charge, or with a bigger throttle opening, or more advance, or a combination of those. Try starting to eliminate causes before you go and change ANOTHER working part out for an unknown quantity. It's making things worse.

-Don't worry, we'll find it together, but you have to play ball, and at least try some of what's suggested. Back to static and dynamic timing... Laughing
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

And I know, it's a stupid question, but coming from someone who's done it.....

-Is there fuel in the tank?
Hanover2Wolfsburg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

Iím running a 009 Dizzy which Iíve timed at 28-30 advance
The idle solenoid clicks 10/10 times and is properly cleaned
Not checked float chamber, if itís low what does this point to?
Failed fuel pump?
If I sit at the lights and hold a slight rev on it will stay alive, lumpy, but alive
Fuel tank is about 5 gallons IMP full
Hanover2Wolfsburg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

When I put the carb back on I didnít fill the bowl and after a few cranks of the key approx 40 seconds the bowl was still bone dry.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

Hanover2Wolfsburg wrote:
Not checked float chamber, if itís low what does this point to? Failed fuel pump?
If I sit at the lights and hold a slight rev on it will stay alive, lumpy, but alive

This & the latest input sounds like fuel delivery issues:
Dirty/rusty gas tank & filter sock, clogged throwaway inline filters, rusted/clogged steel fuel lines, or defective fuel pump.
An idea: fill the floatbowl w/ a small funnel or 1 of these droppers:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Light them fires ........ then try a couple other tests:
Pull the oil dipstick & check for any gasoline stench.
Next time it stalls, can ya pop the gas cap & listen for an air rush?
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

if I only had 1500 pains I wooda felt good years ago Shocked Rolling Eyes might want to try rotating the reluctor a knotch or 3 to see if it helps. mine runs good in 1 position only. I figured way back when petronix may of been trying to get all 4 to fire at the right times so 1 had to be offset...and if it aint on the right lobe.....it's moving 1 and diserupting the world as we know it. Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

Hanover2Wolfsburg wrote:
Failed fuel pump?

I have never heard of a fuel pump that delivered enough fuel to drive the car but not enough to idle!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Hanover2Wolfsburg wrote:
Failed fuel pump?

I have never heard of a fuel pump that delivered enough fuel to drive the car but not enough to idle!

Yes, the car will idle for a while without anything being pumped at all, until the bowl gets really low
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

You probably need to clean out the idle passage, which can be very difficult If it is plugged up and you can't get the little screw out.
OR, it has a vac leak
glutamodo wrote:
keifernet wrote:
BUT as Andy pointed out the 30 pict 2 is unique in the fact that it has that "pre set mixture screw" in the carb body behind a plug... you can't get to it.... ( check out a nice cross section diagram in the Bentley or other good resource/manual, not just an "exploded diagram")

Yeah, exactly. I happen to have that bentley diagram in my folder of FTP images, (look at item 27) plus a pic I took myself and added a caption...:

-Andy

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:
Hanover2Wolfsburg wrote:
Failed fuel pump?

Yes, the car will idle for a while without anything being pumped at all, until the bowl gets really low

Sure but then how do you explain this statement?
Hanover2Wolfsburg wrote:

And how did he get back home with an empty float bowl?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oprn wrote:
Hanover2Wolfsburg wrote:
Failed fuel pump?

Sure but then how do you explain this statement?
Hanover2Wolfsburg wrote:

And how did he get back home with an empty float bowl?

I guess what I posted was confusing.
I was agreeing with you above but making a general statement that on a proper-running car, you could idle for a while, even with no fuel pump at all, as long as the bowl has gas in it.

If I had to guess he has a carb issue. The description you quoted above means the carb won't idle and has nothing to do with the pump.

I couldn't guess at the exact reason but if he is keeping it revved, he could be keeping it above the idle circuit. Could be a plugged idle jet or overall idle circuit in the carb.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

That is exactly where I would be looking if it were my car.
Hanover2Wolfsburg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

Iíve put a new carb on
Drove well on first day but now wonít start
Got fuel
Got spark in HT
Tried starting fluid and at most the engine just puffs a little bit
Any ideas whatís going on?
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 pains Reply with quote

Sounds like your distributor is not fully engaged in the drive groove.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: