Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Filler Tube Details
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

This started out with a question regarding dipstick differences over on the T34 World Facebook page; and prompted me to make some measurements on the oil filler tube.

There are 4 different part numbers for the oil filler tube. Two part #s for the notch/fast/square. And two part #s for the T34.

I have a small collection of these tubes for the notch/fast/square application. That would be part numbers 311.115.303B and 311.115.303D. The obvious difference is that the "D" version has an extra "tube' for making a direct connection to the oil breather. I had to read the parts book carefully and compare it to the chassis number table to understand that the "D" version is a 1-year only part number; and only the majority of the year, not 100% of the year. [This based on the K and T series engine codes.]
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/serialnumberst3.php

Three Version "B" tubes on the left. Four Version "D" tubes on the right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd always assumed that the connection tube was the only difference;
[pointed to by the blue arrow in this picture] But maybe there are other differences that I had not thought about.

So I set up an engine case as a measurement jig to see what I could learn.

The case was aligned with the edge of the workbench and shown to be level within 1 degree.

One by one, I mounted each tube to the case, and then measured the angle at which the tube was inclined from the case. Shown here by the orange arrow.

As an example:

I also checked the angle at which the tube departed from the center line of the case. I.E. does the tube come straight back, or does it angle to the passenger side, or does it angle to drivers side. With my configuration it was difficult to get a precise measurement of this, but I use a large sliding protractor to get a reasonable reading. All of the tubes angled to the passenger side at basically the same angle of 8-10 degrees.

Here are the results of the angle of inclination measurements:
Part "B"
Tube #1--> 49 degrees
Tube #2--> 50.25 degrees
Tube #3--> 47 degrees

Part "D"
Tube #4--> 45 degrees
Tube #5--> 44.5 degrees
Tube #6--> 46 degrees
Tube #7--> 41 degrees

Admittedly this a very small sample set.
But I do seem to have a general measurement of approx 49 degrees for the "B" version.
And a general measurement of approx 45 degrees for the "D" version.
[Ignoring the one outlying tube #7 measurement. Perhaps tube #7 has been tweaked at some point in its history. Either during the removal from a vehicle, or during the powder coating and flange cleaning process.]

Thus, a difference of 4 degrees. Is that important?
Well, a 4 degree difference over the 10" length of the tube means that the location of the top end of the tube has a difference of is .87 inches (7/8"). Which is almost the full diameter of the tube.

Comments? Experiences? Additional information?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Additional Info: early Fuel Injected engines had the "D" version through '71. And went to the "B" version in '72 in conjunction with the oil breather that has the pcv valve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

I believe Type 34 has a different version as well. not sure of the angle but I plan to check mine out when I drop the motor in the near future.

I wonder if those small differences make much difference, I guess the rubber boot would allow for a fairly large variance and still allow the dipstick to pass.

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Oh My always something with these type 3's... I m still learning the differences.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:
I believe Type 34 has a different version as well. not sure of the angle but I plan to check mine out when I drop the motor in the near future.

I wonder if those small differences make much difference, I guess the rubber boot would allow for a fairly large variance and still allow the dipstick to pass.

-Lucas

Yes, two different parts numbers, "a" and "c". In particular, the angle coming back from the engine is different. I don't have an example to measure. But if I understand Pedro's comments; it comes back more in parallel with the engine. Not off to the passenger side as much. And lays down further; possibly at around 55 degrees when measured per my comments above. Will look forward to seeing what yours is when you drop the motor.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:

-Lucas

I believe this is why VW had an accordion built into the rubber boot.
I thought the T-34 got it's own stick and tube (smaller diameter). I know the cap is smaller diameter too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
EasternNotch wrote:

-Lucas

I thought the T-34 got it's own stick and tube (smaller diameter). I know the cap is smaller diameter too.

Yeah I just learned this (I think Pedro's thread had some info on the low/full lines being different). I had no idea about the difference other than the cap. I have a new motor sitting on my bench ready for Spring but I'll have to swap the filler tubes once I drop the one in the car.
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

I recently built an engine in a t-34, it used a regular, early tube. Same diameter. It is in the August hot vw's magazine.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

So is the type 34 trunk floor closer to the engine than other cars? Or is it year and model specific? I have a friend with problems with air cleaners on his type 34, also has a dipstick issue
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
So is the type 34 trunk floor closer to the engine than other cars? Or is it year and model specific? I have a friend with problems with air cleaners on his type 34, also has a dipstick issue

From what I saw, the trunk floor was definatly closer, I had to make custom air filters, the tube however was pretty much bolt on.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

The T34 and the T3 oil filler pipes have different part numbers.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

The T34 and the T3 oil filler pipes have different part numbers.

Just giving real world experiance, not part numbers. You can see the car in Hot VW's

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Here is my example of the wrong pipe on my T34.
I have to carefully "thread' the dipstick into the assembly due to the misalignment.

pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
EasternNotch wrote:

-Lucas

The accordion was made intentionally to acept any engine vibration or the transmission nose mount fails
And for Easy engine removal by just taking off the rubber boot
Yes the dip stick ,the oil cap and the pipe that goes on the body to lock the oil cap and the oil pipe from the engine case
Are total different for type 3 and type 34
Can’t MIX them at All

Only the rubber boot can combine both models for those Dont care at All
Same diameter but
There’s 2 styles

To be Correct Only Type 34 will Used the boot that has Both ends open
To acept a clamp on each end and also has a separate grommet it self at the body
VS

Notchback and Squareback used the type of boot
One end has an Open for clamp and the other end to acept a body install
Like a groomet ring style included on the rubber boot
I seen many restorations Not having the proper Rubber boot Smile

N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There

Last edited by pedro sainz on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:
Here is my example of the wrong pipe on my T34.
I have to carefully "thread' the dipstick into the assembly due to the misalignment.

Can be bend in place
With your hand from the top little by little
Unless removed from case and bolt it on wood and bend it there
And fit it several time until lines up Smile
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

So Pedro, is the t34 engine floor really different? Is it really lower so the same air cleaners don't fit?

Or is it really sag, bushings, etc that causes the body to get closer to the engine and air cleaners don't fit?

I actually had this problem on a Squareback... But it had been hit
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
So Pedro, is the t34 engine floor really different? Is it really lower so the same air cleaners don't fit?

Or is it really sag, bushings, etc that causes the body to get closer to the engine and air cleaners don't fit?

Hi Eric
I dont understand about the lower floor
Single or Duals Air Cleaner fit on both models
Maybe I did not specific when I mention on FB
I mean the body part were the oil cap get lock
Is lower angle
Engine Compartment and upper lid of the trunk compartment are SAME on Both Models

Show me or us your engine compartment
Might got HIT hard there
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

pedro sainz wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Hi Eric
Is lower angle
Engine Compartment and upper lid of the trunk compartment are SAME on Both Models

Might got HIT hard there

I agree with you and thats what I always understood, it's the rear that's different, not the floor...

44 Webers will not fit with the air cleaners, even with the super short manifolds. I don't see any major body damage in the rear, I thought maybe subframe bushings, etc failing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
pedro sainz wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Hi Eric
Is lower angle

Might got HIT hard there

I agree with you and thats what I always understood, it's the rear that's different, not the floor...

Yup, the very back is what's really different. The cooling air intake is in a different spot than all the other type 3s. Not to mention, it's pretty small along the cooling area/dip stick area. Just not a lot of room.

Thanks for confirming the stick is different Pedro. I knew the boots were different too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filler Tube Details Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Erik G wrote:
pedro sainz wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Hi Eric
Is lower angle

Might got HIT hard there

Yup, the very back is what's really different. The cooling air intake is in a different spot than all the other type 3s. Not to mention, it's pretty small along the cooling area/dip stick area. Just not a lot of room.

Thanks for confirming the stick is different Pedro. I knew the boots were different too.

All Good Brother Smile
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: