Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaky Rear End
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

Chain the jack to the shock bolt area or use one of these spring buckles but by a metal one not an aluminum one from your hardware store

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/885650.jpg
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

I got the passenger side apart, cut the inner bushing, put it in, got the spring plate back on at the original angle up against the stop. I tried the chain method and my jack would only get the plate so high. I think I need a new jack. I ordered the spring plate tool from Cip1.

I put the new KYB Excel shock on and I have to wait a few days to finish up.

The drivers side is apart except the top shock bolt is seized and I worked on it for hours yesterday to no avail. I’ll make a trip to the store today for a nut cracker and hope it splits. PB Blaster, heat, cold, screaming at it, throwing tools, blood, nothing is working.

I put a light coating of red lithium grease on the bushings. Hopefully that wasn’t a mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
I tried the chain method and my jack would only get the plate so high.

Jack up the car, lower the jack stand about 2"-3", & try again.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

I lowered the car a bit and attempted to chain the jack but my jack doesn't want to hold pressure. Even letting the car down was sketchy. $19 for a jack, you get what you pay for.

The Kobalt nut splitter from Lowes made quick work of breaking that seized shock bolt.

Anyway, The bushings are all in, and the bottom shock bolts are in.

I'll wait until the tool comes this week and put the rest back together.

Meanwhile, I thought you'd all like to see what came out of the car....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

Probably a bit late but I just tripped across this...
Ian wrote:
You need an old jack and a bolt and and a piece of scrap metal and a welder.

Once you have that made up, then jack the spring plate up with it. Then I use a framing pry bar cause it's skinny and put it behind the spring plate. Use jack to slowly lower plate and it will usually slip down the pry bar. Sometimes this method will pop the torsion bar off the inner splines too, so I hit the torsion bar with the ball end of a ballpeen hammer to seat it in the splines so it will separate from the plate.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

I received the spring plate tensioner tool and it raised the first spring plate above the stop with ease. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the plate moved over and seated on top of the stop. The new inner bushing is not allowing the spline end of the plate to move any closer to its seated position. What is the trick for "pulling" the plate in tight to the car???

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

It’s not the bushing, it’s the friction of the splines engaging each other. Lower the spring plate again, find 4 bolts that are roughly 1” longer than your original retainer bolts, install the retainer with the longer bolts (well greased, the threads in the housing are soft & will strip readily) while the spring plate is relaxed, otherwise you won’t be able to get them started. Then, raise the spring plate back up & tighten the bolts to draw the spring plateinto place. As you get it closer, remove two of the longer bolts (diagonally from each other) & replace those with the original ones, & use those to draw the plate closer to the housing. once those are snug, remove the other two bolts with the originals & tighten them all.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

Agree, its next to impossible without the longer bolts.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

If you go to JBugs.com or youtube, they have a video with "Sam" demonstrating the longer bolt method to get the spring plate cover on.

The pacing on their demo videos is very fast and they don't show how to deal with annoying setbacks (like rusted bolts that refuse to budge), but they are very helpful.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Rear End Reply with quote

I got a pair of bolts about 1" longer and they were still not long enough. I got a pair of 6" bolts, let the tension off the plates, and got the bushing covers on loosely with the longer bolts. Tensioned up the spring plates and bolted the trailing arms. Tightened down the bushing cover plates with original bolts, installed the new shocks, wheels on, car on the ground, and boom.... No more squeak, and a much better tighter right back there.

I can't thank this community enough. Without they help I get from you, I wouldn't have been able to accomplish what I've done with this car.

Many, many, many thanks!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: