Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear hatch torsion bar replacement/upgrade
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikhaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Rear hatch torsion bar replacement/upgrade Reply with quote

So after searching through old posts I saw that someone (Nate M) replaced their torsion bar that opens the rear hatch with 2 gas struts. Basically a better modern solution to that torsion spring.

I decided to do this since I kept bending the hinge since one of the pin holes was hogged out.

Placed the mount points in pretty much the same locations as Nate M did, but I moved the bottom mount slightly since the gas struts that I used were a little different length.

I searched Amazon for gas struts in the 60 to 65 Lb range based on Nate M's post:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=800

I Used an old steel strap, 3/16" thick and cut out the mounting plates after using cardboard to mock up their size and placement.

Welded them in place, but when welding to the body it was a little tricky since the sheet metal is a lot thinner than the 3/16" plate. I blew a small hole in the body sheet metal when welding, I guess I had the current up too high. Oh well, I can fix that later.

So now I have a modernized solution to that stupid torsion spring and I love it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch torsion bar replacement/upgrade Reply with quote

Bummer it doesn't open as high as it normally would. I think I'd walk face first into that thing when it's open. Confused

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch torsion bar replacement/upgrade Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd call gas struts an upgrade - the torsion spring will last and work for decades with regular lubrication of the hinge points. The gas struts will crap out after a few years. On the upside, dead gas struts are easy to replace.
erikhaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch torsion bar replacement/upgrade Reply with quote

I am fine with it only opening that much. Actually I can probably search for another strut with a longer travel but it isn't an issue for me. Keeps me on my toes.

sjbartnik, you know what they say about opinions? They are like buttholes, everyone has one.
Xenophek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch torsion bar replacement/upgrade Reply with quote

Devil's advocate here, but I think the torsion bar is why my hinges are trashed. I pop the hatch and if I let the door open on its own it slams all the way to the limit of its travel. Between the previous owners and myself, my hinges are way out of geometry now and the hatch doesn't seal well.

I'd consider the gas struts if only to keep the door from slamming open and wrecking my hinges.
erikhaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch torsion bar replacement/upgrade Reply with quote

I also think that the torsion rod puts too much force on the hinge stay that attached to the hinge and if it isn't perfectly aligned then the pin hole gets hogged out therefore causing it to become even more out of alignment and eventually bend the hinge.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear hatch torsion bar replacement/upgrade Reply with quote

All VW hatches (front and rear, all Types) are unlike most other cars. You don't slam the front to close it. And neither of them are opened by just letting it loose to fly up without causing damage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: