Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Setting up initial alignment
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

After installing the new ball joints and tie rod ends I’m going to do a preliminary tape measure alignment. I plan to take it to my local shop to have a real alignment performed once the new engine is installed and broken, or broken in, whichever comes first.
Toe seems to be pretty straightforward but I’m using flat bar strapped to the spindles. I plan to make them equal even though I know there should be an 1/8 inch between front and back measurements.

Question is, what degree +/- should the camber be? As I move the camber eccentric that changes the toe so I think I need to do the camber first. I’m also not up to speed on the geometry changes in the suspension. Does the camber stay the same throughout the travel or does it change ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Toe seems to be pretty straightforward but I’m using flat bar strapped to the spindles. I plan to make them equal even though I know there should be an 1/8 inch between front and back measurements.

Why would you intentionally do that? The proper amount of toe-in makes a world of difference in how these cars drive. Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

This is just initial. I'll have it aligned on a rack once the car can move under its own power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

But even so, why not set your initial alignment close to where it ultimately should be? You have to set it somewhere, why not just pick the correct value in the first place?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

Thus my question. on the camber
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

Caster: 3.5 degrees =/- 1 degree
Camber: 1/2 degree +/- 1/3 degree
Toe: 1/8" toe in.
Than drive it to the shop.
http://automotiverepairguides.blogspot.com/2013/07/volkswagen-1973-models-wheel-alignment.html
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

Gonna tell ya...I have only had a couple experiences with alignment shops that were positive. Same with some customers cars that have been recently "aligned". If you can set the camber straight up and 1/8" toe, you are pretty much there. I would suggest checking your toe after you have it done. Have had cars done by a pro shop that the toe was 1/8" out andanother one was 0 toe.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Gonna tell ya...I have only had a couple experiences with alignment shops that were positive. Same with some customers cars that have been recently "aligned". If you can set the camber straight up and 1/8" toe, you are pretty much there. I would suggest checking your toe after you have it done. Have had cars done by a pro shop that the toe was 1/8" out andanother one was 0 toe.

I understand completely. The last time I took it to an alignment shop (2002?), they had no idea the tie rods had reversed threads.
The shop I'm taking it to this time, I have been doing business with for 16 years. They have no problem with me being there to coach them while they do it.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

If you have to coach them how to do it, why do you need them?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

I don't need them as much as I need their fancy tools.
In actuality, I suppose I'm paying them to use their tools.
I get to be involved every step of the way too, which is a bonus.
Sure beats the pants off of my wife and a tape measure.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up initial alignment Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

I don't need them as much as I need their fancy tools.
In actuality, I suppose I'm paying them to use their tools.
I get to be involved every step of the way too, which is a bonus.
Sure beats the pants off of my wife and a tape measure.

Guess I'd rather save the $100 or so and do it myself. Nothing fancy about it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: