Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cracked alloy wheel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad26903
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

I was having new tires mounted today and the shop found that three of the five bolt holes on an aluminum alloy wheel were cracked. These particular wheels were purchased from GW 3 years and 23,000 miles ago, but my question in general is - Are aluminum alloy wheels prone to crack or is this an anomaly?
Thanks for any experience on this issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

I'm thinking this is result of lugs being over torqued. Are you sure this is the only wheel that is cracked this way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

happened to me too with the same ASA wheel, sucks!

The tire shop I went to to get the tire transferred to the new wheel said they've never seen a wheel crack like that before. Quite possibly over-torqued, but I think it's a deficiency of the wheel. I didn't feel like dealing with changing all the wheels over, so I bought a replacement wheel of the same style. Just need to be diligent an not let shops use an airgun to put wheels back on
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Cheap Chinese gahbage. You really should stick with quality Mercedes or VAG rims.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Make sure you have the correct lugs. They are either ball shaped or cone shaped, I forget which are correct for that wheel. I could see how that could cause some damage.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
I'm thinking this is result of lugs being over torqued. Are you sure this is the only wheel that is cracked this way?

Yes!
NEVER let the air gun maniac 19 year old guys hammer the lugs home with 150 psi!
I always tell them to set it for 90, pull out of the bay and torque them myself.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Yep! I have seen so many of those Tire Rack/ASA (the wheels GW sells) crack like that. It's really scary when you think about how many vans are running around with those wheels. Many, many of my customers have had this happen. And many of them install their own wheels and swear they uses a torque wrench set properly.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

No way!
So in addition to selling springs that sag, hydroedge tires that were under-rated (don't think they do that anymore though), they also sell wheels known to crack under proper torque?
Say it ain't so!
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

y u rune klassik?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

never seen the back of those rims, but I'm not really keen on the design of the load bearing structure..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

levi wrote:
No way!
So in addition to selling springs that sag, hydroedge tires that were under-rated (don't think they do that anymore though), they also sell wheels known to crack under proper torque?
Say it ain't so!

Don't forget about their own version of a "Big Brake Kit" with the exploding rotors!

You'd almost think there was a pattern?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
never seen the back of those rims, but I'm not really keen on the design of the load bearing structure..

Yeah, not a lot of "meat" there... Evil or Very Mad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Here are pix of my '84 Vanagon with cracked GoWesty 16-inch wheels. They are about 4 years old and 32k miles.

Not a happy camper.
Any suggestions for replacement?

If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

No, good aluminum alloy wheels are not prone to crack

good means forged (real good) or well-done pressure castings

any Al wheel can crack if beat to death off-road (so use steel)

GW sold medium-crummy wheels, often with somewhat old Michelin tires on them, that were under-rated

as per above MB wheels are quite strong
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Dwighia wrote:
Here are pix of my '84 Vanagon with cracked GoWesty 16-inch wheels. They are about 4 years old and 32k miles.

Not a happy camper.
Any suggestions for replacement?

Talk to GoWesty and see what they say. Probably say they were over-torqued, but who knows?

This picture has 2 cracks in the wheel at the bolt hole.
do not use these wheels if you still have them.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Yep! I have seen so many of those Tire Rack/ASA (the wheels GW sells) crack like that. It's really scary when you think about how many vans are running around with those wheels. Many, many of my customers have had this happen. And many of them install their own wheels and swear they uses a torque wrench set properly.

This needs to be learned and then re-learned--often.

The usual suspects have no business selling this junk to the community. Any used but good condition VAG or MB alloy rim is going to be vastly superior to these el cheapo Chinese knock-offs. These are super dangerous, especially when installed on full campers/Syncros with all the other high weight dangles and doo-dads they fob off to the community.

I think a high value alternative would be to publish a list of known machine shops who know how to properly machine the centers of VAG alloy rims. You can easily drill out the lug holes on most MB rims. Christopher sells the proper lug nuts/bolts and spacers you'll need to fit these quality rims on a T3.

http://t3technique.com/t3-research-notes/wheel-quality-cheap-aftermarket-versus-oem.html

I happily shill for vendors I know and trust. In this case, there is nobody out there I trust more than Christopher to guide you through the process of fitting quality OEM rims on your Vanagon.

y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Cheap Chinese gahbage. You really should stick with quality Mercedes or VAG rims.

While I basically agree with you,I have 3 out of 5 cracked CLK (tollman?)wheels. I've seen others report the similar.

I mounted steel Mercedes wheels.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

That's a forged rim, so I don't know what's going on with those kind of cracks, but none of the cast aluminum VAG or MB rims I know of are prone to the kind of fatigue failures shown by the OP.

y u rune klassik?

Last edited by Zeitgeist 13 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

Overtorquing or not, me thinks a genuine Mercedes wheel will not crack.

Question though, is that crack really a liability? Even if all 5 are cracked, would it just start vibrating and maybe loosen the bolts?

-Rob
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked alloy wheel Reply with quote

If those structural pieces start to break and slough off, then the clamping power of the lug nut/bolt is compromised and bad things happen. At the very least, it's not confidence inspiring, and if I was a vendor selling this junk I'd be lawyering up for the inevitable judgment day.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: