Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Camshaft? Reply with quote

I'm building a ABA OBD1 2.0L bottom end with the 1.8L hyd head and CIS injection for a 82 Westy.
I was just going to use the stock 1.8L cam/followers/springs. The aba head has a new cam and followers and better springs. Would this cam work ok with this CIS setup even though it was for electronic fuel injection?
Thanks
Apologies if in the wrong form
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft? Reply with quote

i don't know, but i bet Alstrup knows.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft? Reply with quote

It should be fine. The CIS will idle lopey with a cam that has a lot of overlap, but it'll still run. The stock cams for either CIS or EFI were pretty mild on all accounts.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft? Reply with quote

Oooohhhh!
- The 80 - 82 Westy is a regular PITA to build a proper engine for.
The CIS conversion is definitely a step in the right direction. The 1,8 heads on a 2 liter is not. You loose too much port velocity a lower rpms which will make the engine pull less torque. And you need A LOT of torque.

One of the best solutions for that vehichle is replacing the stock crank to a 78 mm stroke with VW type 1 rod journals for maximum strength, use WBX rods, use a Web #73 grind. Machine 2,5 mm off of the stock pistons. and adjust the CR to 8-1 for low grade fuel and (preferably) 8,5 for medium grade fuel. You can use the stock heater boxes, but the muffler has to go, - OR it has to be gutted so the back pressure is reduced. The easy way is to get a VS bus muffler. They are actually not bad for a mild engine like that.
The TZH ignition system is not bad if it is in good shape. I suggest that you replace the transistor module since they have a tendency to wear out. Then you can also maintain the idle stabilizer. One thing to do is that you should mod the distributor to advance a little faster initially. Keep the 5 d. ATDC on vacum, but let it advance to 20 degrees @ 2000 rpm and slow down from there on up to max (28 - max 30) @ 2800 and 40 BTDC on full vacum at 3000 rpm.
Typically about 110 hp and 170ish Nm torque.

By doing this you get a slightly lower RR than a stock 2 liter, you get the port velocity at lower rpm so the engine will pull enough torque to make the vehichle comfortable to drive, AND your fuel effiency should increase. 10 to 10,5 km/l
Hope this helps.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft? Reply with quote

somebody should make some really updated trick heads for these applications....heads that work!!!( yes I know the heads work, but ...there is a better way..there always is, just look at all the type 1 heads.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft? Reply with quote

The problem is not the heads as such. Its the load versus rpm versus cooling that is the problem.
Since these vehichles are the next " big thing" we are working on a larger cc aircooled engine that will make the power to make the car nice to drive and keep up with modern traffic yet keep cool while doing it. We are getting new cams from Web for testing in near future.
Think over 130 hp around 5000 rpm and 160 nm on tap from about 2000 rpm and climbing.
But these engines will be expensive. So people should consider a Subie conversion too, and make the decission if they will stay true to the aircooled era or skip and convert to a newer type of engine.
T
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft? Reply with quote

I'd go the other way. stock stroke on an ABA is 92.8. I built an ABA motor with a TDI crank(95.5 stroke) with 1.8T heads and Jenvy TB's. It was a beast till the owner blew it up Crying or Very sad . You gotta do a little clearancing on the block.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft? Reply with quote

I was off. I was thinking aircooled. Sorry Embarassed
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft? Reply with quote

Is the head a 1.8 G-60 or 1.8T? The T head is 5-valve. great flow, especially the euro spec ones. Techtonics has alot of good cam grinds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: