Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why black paint?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

John Muir recommended painting your tin all different colors, so you'd smile when you had to open the lid to work on it. That stands to make as much of a difference as anything else in this thread. Razz

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Color coding of engine parts is underutilized.
About all we get is different color coils, but so much more could be done!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I bet Klaus Winkler would have kicked John Muir's hippie ass!!!

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
rugblaster wrote:
And then we have thermal conduction. Try this, get 2 identical green bean cans, preferably the ones with a tin coating inside, and paint one on the outside with a thin coat of flat black paint. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil and pour the water into both cans at equal amounts. Place the cans 20 cm apart. Place a lab grade thermometer into each can and observe the rate at which each can loses heat. Why are they not the same?

Do this experiment with a high output fan blowing on the cans, otherwise it is useless to this discussion.

WHY oh WHY does everyone in these discussions insist on using google and quoting scientific research websites instead of just taking an engine and running with black sheetmetal and then with chrome or green or gray or red or purple and then reporting back? ALL of this information you can google is 100% useless in this discussion.

Fully enclosed aircooled VW engines act differently than airplane VW aircooled engines that act differently than open ended vw aircooled engines and they certainly act different than tin cans with boiling water in them.

Come on guys, I am all for a spirited discussion but most of this info is just flat out wrong.

I enjoy these debates also, keeps things interesting when I'm taking a break. I think the experiment you propose would be relatively easy, especially if a company could buy parts at cost. Just order a chrome tin kit, collect data, then paint the kit black. Now, who do we know that builds a lot of engines...hmmmm

Actually....it's already been done and proven. While everyone's theromdynamics properties and atomic photon speeches are technically correct, the net effect on engine temp has been proven to be less than a degree. I did not do the testing personally but know multiple people who have.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
rugblaster wrote:
We didn't have Google in 1975. There was, however, a fellow named Klaus Winkler from West Germany who was a product development engineer for VWoA. He had an office in the VW, Porsche and Audi training center in San Antonio, Texas. While I was attending classes at that training center I became acquainted with Mr. Winkler and we had been discussing the performance aspects of VW motors. I had just started a race car project of my own. I recall him telling me why the cooling tins, cylinder defectors and the valve covers were painted black. We had been talking about chrome aftermarket tinwork. People will believe, with all the evidence to the contrary, anything they want to believe. If painting everything black made my oil temp 5 degrees less, I'm down with that.

The idea the Germans painted everything black by accident or because black paint is cheap is ludicrous. If that were the case every barn in the country would be black. They are not, they are red. (red ocher) I looked that up on Google.

Working for VW doesn't mean he's an authority on the subject. Could have been HR making comments during the new hire orientation, that he took as gospel as a noob. Technician level knowledge doesn't require R&D. Just blind faith sometimes

Well, we all know that car manufacturers have our best interests at heart and would never lie or do anything just to save money, right? Rolling Eyes

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I'm just hoping this subject can get to 10 pages long.... Rolling Eyes
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Everyone knows that in order to get the most adequate cooling on an engine, one must choose a solid base color, with additional colors interspersed for the added color-specific benefits that they entail, like this fine gentlemen's tin here-

vwracerdave wrote:
Do Ghia's count? 2276 with 48 IDA's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Actually....it's already been done and proven. While everyone's theromdynamics properties and atomic photon speeches are technically correct, the net effect on engine temp has been proven to be less than a degree. I did not do the testing personally but know multiple people who have.

Yes one of the big VW "guru's" that no longer posts here, and everybody worshiped and praised said the same thing that the color you paint the sheet metal won't make 1 degree difference in the oil temps or cylinder head temps.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I remember years ago, Jake Raby saying how he liked to leave iron barrels to rust a bit.

The theory being that the rust starts getting rough, and maybe even flaky, giving an increase in overall surface area.

Also,
This is entirely a WAG,
But,
Wouldn't -any- paint be an insulator?

If you want your metal, be it iron, aluminum, mag, etc. to shed heat,
Don't coat it in an insulating blanket of paint! Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Everyone knows that in order to get the most adequate cooling on an engine, one must choose a solid base color, with additional colors interspersed for the added color-specific benefits that they entail, like this fine gentlemen's tin here-

I knew it. Pizza!

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Yes paint can definitely be an insulator, that is why a "thin" coat of flat black is always specified. Rust too is an insulator by the way.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Everyone knows the green engines are not ripe.

And the red ones are the fastest.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

And the white ones are racist..... Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I think bob Hoover was a black paint propagandist too, but I really don't blame him though. If you're crazy enough to fly using a VW motor, you've got to hold on to some superstitions
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

The Kübelwagen, Schwimmwagen, etc, had several engine tin colours: beige, brown, green, grey, etc. Seems like they worked just fine, even in warm environments such as North Africa, etc.

Engine tin directs cool air to the correct locations...can't see how colour can affect that, especially in a closed engine bay. Someone chromed an OEM doghouse shroud years ago (couldn't find the thread) and saw no change in operating temperatures. Seems chrome shrouds got a bad rep mostly due to poor design...not the fact that they were chromed.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
fastone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

timcurtis67 wrote:
I'm just hoping this subject can get to 10 pages long.... Rolling Eyes

Only 10 I'am sure it will more then that...
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Yeah, it’ll do better than 10 for sure. We haven’t even touched on paint color of the fan itself... because I heard if you paint the fan a deep shade of blue it creates an extra cooling effect on all incoming air... also if the paint is laid out smooth, no peel... it will have increased air flow.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I dont know what color my tins are now.
Gave them away 15+ years ago.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Very nice Trike !!!!!

That Trike just expanded our exploration!!!!

No cooling tin at all, of any color for 15 years.

Ok so what color pants to you find to be the coolest, the bluejeans, black leather, vs cargo shorts ???? 1st 2nd or 3rd degree burns?????
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I ride in blue jeans.
The 2110 that was in it ran cool enough to touch solidly.
This is its first summer with the 2387. It does run hotter. You can touch it and/or brush up against the heads and cylinders without getting burned, but it is too warm to leave your hand on like before.
The insides are heat insulating ceramic coated.
The outside of the heads are heat transfer ceramic coated. Supposedly to be a 15%increase in thermal transfer. No real data to back that up.

The headers are what will get you. The exhaust is hot hot, so the pipes are killer. The lightest brush up against will burn you.
So you have to wade through the headers to get on it. I did put wrap and covers over the gotcha parts.

Overall it is less hot to ride than an air cooled harley.......as long as you are moving. But stopped you are trapped between the intakes and can not stick a leg out to get away from the heat.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: