Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why black paint?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Your entire design of engine and exhaust are great.

Just a thought, tape is ugly, you may be able to cover the leg burning area in a chrome Perforated Heat shield that it on stand-offs pieces from the hot exhaust pipes. Nice big perforations, like on a machine gun barrel...
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I have a thread to talk about the murdercycle.
I am happy to chat it up about the details.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Back to the topic at hand.
I believe in the coatings. The insulating coatings for the chamber and piston top especially so. I have done a lot of small engine racing, motorcycles and go karts. Have been there and seen first hand how much stuff can melt when running alchohol/nitro blended fuels. Get in a hurry and throw your little high string engine together without coating your new piston. Thinks will seem fine until it gets fully heat soaked and loaded at the same time.
No experience with the outside coatings.....so new to trying them.

As far as paint on tins.......
Dont chrome the insides.
Lightly flat black the inside.
Put whatever you like the looks of on the outside.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Wow, I posted my question, took a haiatus and come back to this!
Woah!
I am about to apply some of my learning to another air cooled scooter motor.
I’m thinking the cooling fins around the head should just be left aluminum and unpainted to help dissipate the heat better. Paint will only slow down the thermoconductivity (is that the proper terminology?) of the heat trying to escape the engine is my thinking.
That was an excellent read though!
Next question!!!!!!!
What do companies” ceramicoat” their products claiming to aid in cooling?
Isn’t this a legitimate practice???
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I would guess... so they don't rust. I don't know what kind of products you mean.
I don't see any paint on aluminum heat sinks, but if they are iron or steel then you have to do something, and it could be that certain types of paint are better than others, and possibly better than conversion coatings.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
What do companies” ceramicoat” their products claiming to aid in cooling?
When something like that doesn't make sense, I assume the claim was made because it helps sell the product.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

I like black, doesn't show the oil leaks as much.

But if I'm using Royal Purple then I paint them purple.

Cummins used tan on their original 12 valves so the Cummins mechanics could see where the leaks are, which was just about every joint on them. But I luv them anyways..just like I luv old Harleys.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I would guess... so they don't rust. I don't know what kind of products you mean.
I don't see any paint on aluminum heat sinks, but if they are iron or steel then you have to do something, and it could be that certain types of paint are better than others, and possibly better than conversion coatings.

I’m thinking of headers-companies ceramic-coat their headers to help keep them cooler.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Cool idea
They should paint toyota truck engines red so it hides the blood. Every one I ever fixed i end up bleeding.

And why did you say that? Is it because their engines are tight in the engine bay?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
modok wrote:
Cool idea
They should paint toyota truck engines red so it hides the blood. Every one I ever fixed i end up bleeding.

And why did you say that? Is it because their engines are tight in the engine bay?

If you have to ask you haven't worked on one.

brad
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
modok wrote:

I’m thinking of headers-companies ceramic-coat their headers to help keep them cooler.
I guess I don't understand that. If I read it right, ceramics are essentially ... clay ... an excellent thermal insulator. Wouldn't ceramic make the exhaust hotter by holding in the heat?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
modok wrote:

maybe if they coat the INSIDE of the tubes....... it would
HeyWatchThis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Yeah I think ceramic coatings on exhaust is because the ceramic stuff holds up to the temperature.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

It can go both ways.
HBN is a ceramic material, but it has pretty good heat transfer rate, and funny thing is, it's naturally white Laughing
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

Oh God don’t start the color debate again!
Hahaha
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Why black paint? Reply with quote

why is everyone obsessing about engine tin? this subject is more relevant to the cylinders and block.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: