Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72 project bus for a complete newbie
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

So...

I bought a '72 bus on EBAY "99%" complete. Here are a few pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Being 99% complete, of course, everything needs to be replaced. I'm new to this, so please bare with me. I have a few immediate questions as I have already started realizing that I know nothing.

The engine runs excellent according to the ad... but needs a muffler first, and the heat exchangers were sitting in the back of the bus... They are whole, but rusted pretty bad and I can hear shtuff clanking around inside when I shake them like a Christmas present. I can upload pictures as soon as I get them in daylight, and I am pretty sure I should just get new ones, but I don't know. How bad do they have to be before they need to be replaced?

Also, as I was under the bus, I noticed some cracks in the bottom piece that connects to the heat exchangers. I am unable to find the darn name for this part, it seems to be part of the fan shroud and exhaust system, but I can't find it on any of the usual sites for the life of me. Here are some pics.

Could somebody please enlighten me as to what this piece is and where to find replacements. Does it need replacement? The top is cracked too. Is this a major piece of the block? I know the top has the VIN stamped on it.

Thanks in advance for anyone kind enough to help me out. I look forward to asking way too many stupid questions here. Should I have posted this in the stupid questions thread?

Smile

-Mirm

Last edited by Mirmathrax on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

That's your fan housing. To make things easy on you, I would find the engine code on it or the part number and ask one of the used resellers if they have it.

While most housing are interchangeable, they aren't all the same and can be a headache for a noob (ask me how I know).
That being said, the part is relatively inexpensive (used) but the cracks aren't necessarily detrimental.

More importantly, what you should be doing for your new bus is to replace all the fuel lines, fuel filter and I would replace all the vacuum lines as well, along with a distributor refresh (points, condenser).

Also make sure your tires are the proper type, truck tires not passenger tires.

http://bustedbus.com
http://www.thebusco.com
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2121797

Last edited by ivwshane on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Mirmathrax wrote:
So...

... please bare with me. ...

-Mirm

personally I don't BARE with strangers. I BEAR with other VW bus mechanics who are having problems.

When in doubt replace it. Shrouds are available used. Every type 4 engine has one.

Welcome.

9 ft lbs max on oil strainer nut.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Isn’t all the engine tin missing? Don’t start this thing up yet!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Mirmathrax wrote:
So...

-Mirm

personally I don't BARE with strangers. I BEAR with other VW bus mechanics who are having problems.

When in doubt replace it. Shrouds are available used. Every type 4 engine has one.

Welcome.

both bear and bare work in this case. bare-to reveal or uncover. I am a newbie, help me figure out what these things are/what are they called? (reveal to me)

I totally bare with strangers.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

First off: Welcome!

Second: Heat exchangers can be used for as long as you like... if they don't have leaks in the piping, you will be fine. If you are looking for good heat, you may need to take them apart for cleaning and inspection to make sure they are genuine vw (The heat exchanges word like a radiator and the genuine ones have many more fins allowing for more heat to be exchanged and sent to the cabin) and not some Chinese nock off.

Third: That is the fan shroud, it routes air over your cylinders to keep the engine cool. If you don't feel air coming out of them when it is running, you're good to go. But keep an eye on it, because if it breaks and starts letting all the air out of your cooling system you will roast your engine in no time. Check out the classifieds here on thesamba for a used fan shroud if you find you need to replace yours.

And lastly: Please read through some of this material on thesamba. We like to see vans on the road here and no in fire or broken down. So do replace your fuel lines (unless they are clearly new), Check all your break lines (especially the rubber ones, but metal rust out over time), buy a Bentley manual (the green one: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=ucW...lKo8yTrs), and go through a proper full tune-up procedure and tuning.

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

1972 NEWBIE

1972 Bay one year only list
The '72 only photos thread

wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Mirmathrax wrote:
So...

-Mirm

Welcome.

both bear and bare work in this case. bare-to reveal or uncover. I am a newbie, help me figure out what these things are/what are they called? (reveal to me)

I totally bare with strangers.

Soooo, I originally had bear with me and it looked wrong, guess I shouldn't second guess myself. Or maybe its a Freudian slip Wink

All, thanks a ton for the advice and warm welcome. Thanks for all the links, I am definitely going to visit them all. I have already done a ton of reading, but there is so much. Fuel lines are first on my list, and a fire hydrant 9or four). I'm thinking of getting one of those automatic extinguishers for the engine bay, $$$ but looks worth it.

Thanks again and I am excited to get my hands dirty. It's not a real project until you bleed, and I've bled twice.

-Mirm
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Isn’t all the engine tin missing? Don’t start this thing up yet!

I think I have all the shrouds as I have a lot of tin in a box. I'm still taking inventory. All of my lights except the headlights are roached, and the wiring... well, I'll post on that later. And no bumpers.

Since this bus is so safe in the first place, are bumpers even necessary? I'd love to have a "We brake for nobody" bumper sticker across the back for when I pass you going ludicrous speed. I might even 3D-print my own brake-lights.

-Mirm
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Here are some more pics of my bus:

As advertised, no rust:

99% complete?

All that is needed is to finish the wiring...

Oh boy Surprised

Anyone know what this thing is?

I can see that I have my work cut out for me...
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I have a 72 camper and am also in atlanta. I have quite a bit going on right now but could possibly help out sometime.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
I have a 72 camper and am also in atlanta. I have quite a bit going on right now but could possibly help out sometime.

Link up with your local mate, you’re going to need the insight and brotherhood when you begin to dive elbow deep into the unknown!
Welcome to the Samba, its a home for guys of all walks who dig old things and mechanics, can’t go wrong with a Volkswagen bus, good times await, work a bit a time, and see it through, the accomplishment will embed itself into you for the remaining of your sane days.
If already insane, you did buy a bus after all, work your madness in sections.
Best of luck,
Sam B.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I will be getting the interior floor (and seat backs) blasted in the next week or so. After that, I plan to use Rust-mort to treat the floors, clean and then apply an epoxy primer.

Does this sound reasonable to all of you? Should I consider doing anything else for treatment? There is only surface rust on the floors (I will append pics later). Should I consider POR-15? I have a body shop buddy who recommends using the rust-mort and then the primer, since I will be painting the entire interior (including floors) white.

Anything else I should consider before I schedule the blasting? Also, do you all have any recommendations for the brand of primer to use? If not, I will probably go with my buddy's suggestions.

Thanks Samba World!

-Mirm
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Last pic is the lower heater tube to the junction box. There should be 2. In the pic (my bus) you can just see it at the top.

71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Udid, I have been looking everywhere for that, it is quite hidden, now I see I am missing one!
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I also had a random heater tube in the cargo compartment. Weird.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Does anyone have any good sources for listings of miscellaneous bolt sizes? I need bolts/screws/nuts for everything from muffler mounts, heater box mounts, engine tin mounts, etc.

I have service manuals, and they list them as "bolts". No sizes...

Is there a standard or a one stop source for finding which bolt and nut sizes I need?

-Mirm
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Mirmathrax wrote:
Does anyone have any good sources for listings of miscellaneous bolt sizes? I need bolts/screws/nuts for everything from muffler mounts, heater box mounts, engine tin mounts, etc.

Is there a standard or a one stop source for finding which bolt and nut sizes I need?

-Mirm

Its a pet peeve of mine when Bentley purports to write a technical manual, has a procedure to remove a carb, say, and do not write

Remove 2x M8 nut from captive studs on carb.

Or remove 4 M8x10mm bolts to remove Jesus-pin

...but they don't.

I have a $120 Bentley BMW E83 manual that says to remove 2 bolts for the climate system, when there are four.

Long winded - I don't think this reference exists but if it does, someone here will know where.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Mirmathrax wrote:

-Mirm

The parts manuals and fiches in that Tcash FAQ Spike linked have them: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477616&highlight=manuals

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Thanks! I found them after some digging. Right under my nose this whole time!
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I am lining up a bunch of work to do on my bus. I am trying to figure out if I should make videos and take the time to document everything that I do.

I have some seriously cool stuff in mind to try (if my wife doesn't kill me first). I also have two kids young enough that they both still have that new car smell so my time is precious.

Is anyone interested to follow my build or would I be wasting my time? Of course I am still going to document and be active asking dumb questions in the forums, but if there is enough interest I will make detailed videos and post on youtube about the whole process.

Anyone along for the ride?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: