Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72 project bus for a complete newbie
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Never mind...delete.

Last edited by 72camper on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Post away! Some people like the build threads and some don’t. If not, they can choose to ignore it. I enjoy the build threads and have picked up a lot of useful info reading through them. My only pet peave is some of the build threads just stop dead in their tracks. Not sure if they run out of money or interest, but it sucks when the poster just disappears. It’s a commitment to follow though from beginning to end (if there is such a thing). Good luck.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Mirmathrax wrote:
I am lining up a bunch of work to do on my bus. I am trying to figure out if I should make videos and take the time to document everything that I do.

I have some seriously cool stuff in mind to try (if my wife doesn't kill me first). I also have two kids young enough that they both still have that new car smell so my time is precious.

Is anyone interested to follow my build or would I be wasting my time? Of course I am still going to document and be active asking dumb questions in the forums, but if there is enough interest I will make detailed videos and post on youtube about the whole process.

Anyone along for the ride?

I enjoy build threads. I'd watch for sure, but a well written documentation with pictures (like wildidea's thread) is good, if not better in my opinion.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I'm in on build threads. They seem to be hit or miss here, with either a lot of response or hardly any. /shrug

I prefer photos and text to videos personally. Videos are great for how-to's and certain procedures, but not my favorite media for build logs. Just my .02
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Awesome,

Thanks for the feedback. I have been reading a lot of build threads, and it is daunting because it does seem that several of them just abruptly end.

Fortunately for me, I am a stubborn s.o.b. so I hope that I will be around for a while. Wish me luck!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I love build threads. Please go for it. I always learn something from nearly everyone and it’s great to watch someone’s skills improve and the creativity they employ to solve problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Please do a build thread, they are great for others to look through and see the experience of challenge they're having, or see new problems that need brainstorming.

Plus your bus already has some fun character. If you keep that character into it's new stage or life, the ideas you have along the way to it are fun to see.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

And so it begins!

Step 1: Get my bus running!

I started working today on finishing the wiring, which means first I have to figure out what the heck is going on!

It is a little messy:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I started by going through the wiring diagrams from the forums (thanks Spike). It has old wiring for the brakes, but a new main loom from Wolfsburg West. I see there are a few small discrepancies between the wiring loom and the diagram. Unfortunately, I don't have the WW diagram, even though it has a brand new loom. I called WW, and while tech support helped me a little, they basically told me to pound sand when I asked about getting a diagram. Buy a new loom if I want the diagram, even though mine is MINT! Sad

The wiring for the brakes is a bit old, but looks decent:

I figured out the tail lights (I think), but there is an extra double-brown wire in the loom on the passenger side, and an extra double-black and single brown in the loom on the passenger side (see pic). I assume that the driver side black connects to the old wires from the backup light switch on the tranny. I have no idea what either brown wire is for (I know it is ground, but for what?)

I don't have a heater blower, so for now at least that is not a worry. However, there is once again an extra brown wire from that break-out that I have no idea where it goes. Is it meant to ground the blower (the wiring diagrams just show a connection to chassis)?

Wiring at the starter looks proper. There is an extra spade? Any idea what this is for?

Also, any idea's what this thing is? Comes out by the starter and looks like a control cable of some kind.

Finally, here are a few more pics from the bus as I was under and around it:

California approved:

Weber carb. Don't know a thing about this yet.

Looks reasonably good underneath.

Bushings look shot.

Next job: Figure out the fuses and relays. Ugh!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I see nothing horrible there, bus wiring kindof looks like that.
The brown wires could be for the body ground tabs beside (below) each tail light, or the tail light fixtures themselves, which one isn't grounded?
The extra spade on the starter is for FI, leave it bare.
The cable near the starter is for the heater valve on that side.
Search "suck" (no quotes) in Baywindow forums and select title only for the Weber thread.
It does look rather solid below, those things you call bushings are ball joint boots, looks like you have grease fitting holes on yours, buy some 6mm fittings and lube them up.
What tires are those?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Mir,

I too am a new owner of a bus. So, I for sure would be interested in your build thread. I may or may not comment, other than to give encouragement from time to time, as I too am just getting to know my bus and this community.
The help you will get here is invaluable. You will get smart ass comments too, but all in good fun. Others may have mentioned but, I would highly suggest getting familiar with Mayor Ratwell's site if you haven't already.
http://www.ratwell.com/ Robbie and Colin are fantastic as well.
https://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/index.php
Buy the Bentley. Most of all have fun with your "99% complete bus". Rolling Eyes

Best regards,

J
CA bus 2.0 FI

"It is what it is or else it would be weird."
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I see nothing horrible there, bus wiring kindof looks like that.
The brown wires could be for the body ground tabs beside (below) each tail light, or the tail light fixtures themselves, which one isn't grounded?
The extra spade on the starter is for FI, leave it bare.
The cable near the starter is for the heater valve on that side.
Search "suck" (no quotes) in Baywindow forums and select title only for the Weber thread.
It does look rather solid below, those things you call bushings are ball joint boots, looks like you have grease fitting holes on yours, buy some 6mm fittings and lube them up.
What tires are those?

Thanks for the help Daddy! I hope I can call you Daddy. Once I find out for sure what those wires are I will post for clarification, but I think you are on the money. There are already brown ground wires in the left and right tail-light looms, so I think the double-brown is to connect those to chassis ground. I have a volt-meter, so I will be testing before I apply battery voltage.

I have not checked the tires yet but it's not driving so I'm not in a hurry. I know they need to be proper truck tires, so I will definitely be looking that up before the first cruise.

I will also be buying a fire extinguisher today since I plan to try to crank it soon. PO says they ran it last in March/April. I can't tell if there is any gas in the tank, but I have not looked closely yet. Anything I should do if there is months old gas?

-Mirm
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Mirmathrax wrote:
[ PO says they ran it last in March/April. I can't tell if there is any gas in the tank, but I have not looked closely yet. Anything I should do if there is months old gas?

I guess the bigger question is how old was the gas last April?, when in doubt drain it out and put some fresh stuff in, old gas can cause the valves to hang up and that's a huge job to fix. The act of draining also confirms the tank flows freely and won't cause issues later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I just found your thread. I have not been online lately, been welding and cutting alot. I also have a 72. seems to be in worse shape than yours is. With mine, I started with mechanical stuff. pulled the engine, dropped the front axle. I worked on those areas, bought stuff to repair them. Moved to stuff under the cabin, all the controls, steering, brake stuff, clutch, suspension, etc.... with all that removed I could scrape the tar off and look for rust and repaint underneath.

Getting close to done on the under cabin stuff, including floor board holes, door and threshold holes. Then the plan it to put all the under cabin stuff back on and go to the engine and wiring will be last. That way I can drive it in the spring or summer.... fingers crossed.

Good Luck

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

go to Prospero's Garage dot com and get a wiring diagram. I have one for the bus, and one for my 914. laminated, color, large print..... $20

https://colorwiringdiagrams.com/products/vw-buskombi-1972
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I have a spare heater booster you are welcome to on the south side.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Yabsolutely Smile and congratulations on your newest endeavor! if you hadn't noticed, while there are some, there's still a lack of good utube videos showing a restoration lIke yours will be...it makes a great story so bring it Smile you definitely have your work cutout for you. good luck and keep the pictures coming please. we'll help out as much as we can Smile

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
Mirmathrax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

I am continuing to work out the wiring. I started hooking up the gauges in the dash and boy is it a mess. I ended up having to buy a new turn signal and wiper switch as I can't seem to find them in my bus.

As I was going through parts searching for these switches, I came across some engine tin that I don't recognize from the Bentley. Here is a picture of the engine tin from my manual:

Here is the tin I found. The outer two look like they go with the heat exchangers, but what are the two in the middle?

-Mirm
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Not an expert, but my guess is type 1 tins. I would put money on the 2 in the middle being type 1 engine tins. Since I have never seen the top and bottom piece on my type 4 engine, I will go with type 1 on them too. Beetles, ghias and pre-72 buses.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

The top and bottom are indeed sled tins for a carbed type 4 bus, the middle 2 are type 1 singleport cylinder tins.

Слава Україні!
spk5063
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 project bus for a complete newbie Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Mirmathrax wrote:
I am lining up a bunch of work to do on my bus. I am trying to figure out if I should make videos and take the time to document everything that I do.

I have some seriously cool stuff in mind to try (if my wife doesn't kill me first). I also have two kids young enough that they both still have that new car smell so my time is precious.

Is anyone interested to follow my build or would I be wasting my time? Of course I am still going to document and be active asking dumb questions in the forums, but if there is enough interest I will make detailed videos and post on youtube about the whole process.

Anyone along for the ride?

I enjoy build threads. I'd watch for sure, but a well written documentation with pictures (like wildidea's thread) is good, if not better in my opinion.

I'll be following... probably just going to lurk for a while. I don't have a bus yet, but hopefully will find something in the near future.

~*Lurking activated*~ Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: